[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PDA or Palm Pilot, Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tommyknocker

I decided it's time to move on into the 21st century. I'm trired of fumbling through 2 rollo dexes and other lit to find the info I want. Also I have been asked to take on a larger roll with my employer which will require some travel. So I want to have what I need at my finger tips and I'm sure my replacement will appreciate it if I dont take all this with me.

I am very green on this type of technology so any input would be appreciated. Like what can I expect to pay and what works well and what doesnt.

Talk to me people, I know there is a wealth of knowlege here.

I still have my Palm Pilot from about 4 or 5 years ago and am thinking of getting another one as well. But now there are cell phones that can do most anything that a Palm can do, so I think the real question is if you go with a PDA or just an expensive cell phone (isn't a blackberry like a PDA/phone?)

PDA's went down in popularity once cell phones started getting so sophisticated, so I am interested in hearing anyone's input as well. I am currently the only person left in the country that does not have a cell phone though I had one a few years back. Since I work at home, the only time I would use it is to call my wife and ask her to bring something to drink to my office.

I just purchased a Blackberry. So far, I love it. I've tried using other PDAs, but found that they were a bear to keep a charge on. By having all my information on my phone, it is much easier to keep charged. With Blackberry data plans, you can have your emails, etc., delivered to your phone (if you so wish). You can also access the internet at any moment (assuming you are in your service provider's coverage area). Perfect for getting updates to scores on the run. For example, last night my basketball team played an away game. I was able to get playoff score updates via the internet on my phone until we went in to do the pregame talk and immediately afterwards. I know you can do this on many cell phones now-a-days, but the layout of the Blackberry is much better from what I've experienced. Just my $.02.

Guest Cherni

It reall depends on what you're going to use the handheld for. If it's more for contacts/calendar, I would go with a Treo. If it's for mostly e-mail, go Blackberry.

How did that lawsuit pan out with BlackBerry? I thought I'd heard they were in trouble related to it?

1255103[/snapback]

I believe it is still unsettled.

I would go with the Treo 650...all your palm needs, email and phone too.

I decided it's time to move on into the 21st century. I'm trired of fumbling through 2 rollo dexes and other lit to find the info I want. Also I have been asked to take on a larger roll with my employer which will require some travel. So I want to have what I need at my finger tips and I'm sure my replacement will appreciate it if I dont take all this with me.

I am very green on this type of technology so any input would be appreciated. Like what can I expect to pay and what works well and what doesnt.

Talk to me people, I know there is a wealth of knowlege here.

1253924[/snapback]

It all depends on what you want to do with a PDA. Do you just want your Rolodex (known in Outlook lingo as "Contacts") and your schedule? Do you want to do e-mail and instant messaging? Other programs?

I've had two PDA's. One was a traditional PDA, a Compaq iPAQ 3635, and the other was what's called a Smartphone, an Audiovox SMT5600. I'm currently using the latter and would recommend either to anyone, depending on their end use.

For the vast majority of users, I'd recommend a Smartphone. Most of us have a cellular phone anyways, and I found that I never carried my old PDA around (which completely defeats the purpose of having it). Smartphones are considered one category, but I think it's more realistic to break it down further into two groups: Primary Phones and Primary PDA's. As their names suggest, this grouping divides Smartphones by their primary purpose. (Keep in mind, these names are just how I divide them personally; they're all considered Smartphones).

Primary Phones are phones first, but have PDA capabilities. They sync with Outlook, run a PDA OS, and share other features with traditional PDA's. In general, their phone features (call quality, reception, size, etc.) are better than their PDA-first bretheren. However, their downfall is usually a lack of fast input system (QWERTY keyboard or Grafitti system). This makes them difficult to use for email or text messaging. Good examples are the Audiovox SMT5600, the Motorola MPx220, the Nextel i930, and the Samsung SP-i600.

Primary PDA's are just the opposite of Primary Phones for most of the properties discussed. Usually their strong points are their PDA properties (big screen, relatively fast inputting system, more memory, etc.) and their weak points are their phone features (usually quite large, worse reception, poor for holding to your face and talking, the "dork factor" of having a PDA phone). Examples would include the Palm Treo 650, the RIM BlackBerry 8700c, and the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6315.

If you're going to go the Smartphone route, you'll also have to consider two additional variables. Carrier and operating system. Carrier will likely have a bigger impact, as certain phones are only available through certain carriers. OS isn't important if you're somewhat computer savvy, as PalmOS, RIM, and Windows Mobile will all sync with your computer (PalmOS and RIM can require more tinkering than Windows Mobile in my experience).

I lean heavily toward the Primary Phones. I have no need to do my email on my phone, don't text message, and was really not looking forward to toting around another bulky monstrosity (let alone looking like a dweeb holding it up to my head). As I mentioned above, I have the Audiovox smartphone and want for little. It uses Windows Mobile, and thus syncs perfectly with Outlook. It's small, a reasonably good phone, and does everything I want. If Cingular had better reception in my area and the phone was a clamshell, I'd be as happy as a bug in a rug.

Hope this long-winded post helps.

You can't go wrong with the treo 650. You will become addicted to it faster than crack. You get email and there is a viewer for word docs and excel spreadsheets. With a software package all of your Outlook data automatically is in it and when you update it on your phone, it automatically updates on your computer, no syncing needed. It is awesome. And best yet, you can even access these message boards with it.

You can't go wrong with the treo 650. 

1255491[/snapback]

I just got the Treo 650 recently, very impressed. :D Use it mainly for contacts and calendar stuff, (haven't set up email yet)..it syncs w/ Outlook calendar/contacts no prob. And plus there is like a buttload of applications you can download for the thing from palmgear.com. :D

Edited by Hitman

If you go the Smartphone route, find a carrier that you want to use (I personally recommend Verizon, YMMV) then wait until they have the Treo 700 available. I have th eTreo 650 and I'll never not have a Smartphone again. My life is hooked into that thing and I'd be lost without it.