[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a good 12 gauge shotgun

muck

I have hunted before, but not in a few years. I have shot clays before, but not very often when I have.

I have shot several types of shotguns before -- single shot, double barrell, pump action and semi-automatic. I have shot Winchester, Remington and Benelli.

That said, I really don't know much about shotguns, as I'd generally borrow one from a friend when I'd take the random duck/pheasant/whatever trip.

I'm looking for a good solid gun ... not really that concerned with price ... will spend $250 or $1250 ... whatever. Am more interested in "getting a really good deal" than in how much I spend (if that makes sense).

Just want a reliable, accurate, etc. gun that will allow me to hunt pretty much anything, including someone who isn't supposed to be in my living room at 2am. Will buy used ... don't need a new one.

Have been told that I'd probably be well served to get something that can take a 3.5 inch shell, for flexibility reasons, if nothing else. Also, have been told that getting a 24" barrell is fine, but, longer is better (28" or 30").

Not sure if I should go for pump-action or semi-automatic. Apparently pumps are more reliable, and semi-automatics are a bit quicker.

The semi-automatic models that have been recommended to me include:

Remington 1187

Browning Gold

Winchester X2

Beretta Extrema

Benelli Super Black Eagle

The pump models that have been recommended to me are:

Remington 870

Benelli Nova

Browning BPS

Thoughts about any of this?

And, any ideas on where I'd be able to get a good deal on something?

It doesn't sound like you are going to be using it all that much, so I'd suggest the Remington 870.  I know you said that price really doesn't matter, but why buy more than you need.

1254952[/snapback]

I have the 870 Wingmaster and I am happy with it. If you are going to use this gun primarily for bird hunting I would recommend going with the 20-gauge. The 12-gauge is pretty heavy carrying around in the field for 2-3 hours. But you mentioned you wanted it to be multi-purpose and this gun can easily take down a deer or larger animal. I like pump actions myself. They are cool to shoot and if you also want it for protection nothing will scare and intruder more that the sound of you racking a shell into the chamber. :D

You may be trying to doo too much at once. A shorter barrel is better for home protection (a sawed off 12 gauge double barrel is the cats meow) while a longer barrel will give you better accuracy out in the field.

most sbe are around 1200 for the camo and 1100 for the black mat.... u can find used ones but if u go that route get the ones with the raised rib( newer i think they came out in 2001 or so)

1255759[/snapback]

Benelli has come out with the SBE II. It is the elite gun for hunting. It will cost you anywhere from 1200 to 1400 depending on wood, synthetic or camo. The SBE I and the SBE are greatly reduced. 1000 to 1100 for a new gun. The used guns are not worth it. You get someone like me that shoots sporting clays, pheanants, ducks, and geese year after year and trades in a gun, it is well used. If you are looking for a great gun at a great price and don't pass shoot geese, I would go with the Benelli M90. It chambers a 3" and 2 3/4" shell only (which is all you really need to upland bird hunt), and is a Benelli. There line is "performance worth the price." The M90 will more than likely serve all your needs in a semi-automatic gun and I have seen them at Cabela's for around 800.

If you are the guy that goes out once a year and doesn't care what you carry, then buy and 870 wingmaster. For around 300-350 you can purchase this gun and it will last you forever. It is a pump.

IMO, I would get a 26" barrel. I have a 24 on my SBE I. I love it and I am looking to upgrade to the SBE II with a 24" barrel. I know Yukon has a Benelli, but I have gathered he is a lot like me he shoots and hunts a lot.

I hunt birds every day of the fall that I can get away so have several shotguns ranging in price. It sounds like you are looking for an "all around" gun that you will only use occasionally.

I have a 12 ga. Browing BPS in Shadwograss for waterfowl that I would recommend in a heartbeat and think would suit your needs very well. The BPS chambers 3 1/2" shells, is a bit more affordable than a Super Black Eagle (say $500ish), and sturdier than an 870 (which is still a great gun for the price).

Also, I would definitely recommend a new gun out of the box versus a used one if you're not experienced enough to know what you're looking at.

Benelli has come out with the SBE II.  It is the elite gun for hunting.  It will cost you anywhere from 1200 to 1400 depending on wood, synthetic or camo.  The SBE I and the SBE are greatly reduced.  1000 to 1100 for a new gun.  The used guns are not worth it.  You get someone like me that shoots sporting clays, pheanants, ducks, and geese year after year and trades in a gun, it is well used.  If you are looking for a great gun at a great price and don't pass shoot geese, I would go with the Benelli M90.  It chambers a 3" and 2 3/4" shell only (which is all you really need to upland bird hunt), and is a Benelli.  There line is "performance worth the price."  The M90 will more than likely serve all your needs in a semi-automatic gun and I have seen them at Cabela's for around 800. 

If you are the guy that goes out once a year and doesn't care what you carry, then buy and 870 wingmaster.  For around 300-350 you can purchase this gun and it will last you forever.  It is a pump. 

IMO, I would get a 26" barrel.  I have a 24 on my SBE I.  I love it and  I am looking to upgrade to the SBE II with a 24" barrel.  I know Yukon has a Benelli, but I have gathered he is a lot like me he shoots and hunts a lot.

1255840[/snapback]

Muck, this is exactly what I was going to suggest. I wouldn't trade my semi for a pump. A lot of it depends on how much you plan on using it. Benelli is making some good shiatt!

Question for hunters--What is the range of a slug?  12 ga

1256267[/snapback]

Not sure I can answer you ... but the answer varies depending on the size of the shot used, the number of grains of gun powder used ... I once had a 20 gauge that also had a 'choke' on the end of the barrell that would let you alter the dispersal pattern of the shot ... wider would have less range

Edited by Grits and Shins

Ball park

12 ga, 3 inch shell

1256274[/snapback]

:D ... the farther away the target the more dispersed the shot (or slugs) ... I guess I'd say anything further away that 50 yards with standard shot (not slugs) is relatively safe. With slugs you might be able hurt something at 100 yards

:D

Edited by Grits and Shins