[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where's grandma?

The Irish Doggy

:D

What's that "death-like" smell?

Body left in home 2 1/2 years

Dead woman dressed in white gown, TV turned on

By Christy Arnold

Enquirer staff writer

Provided photo

Johannas Pope

ADVERTISEMENT

Grandma sat in a chair upstairs, dressed in a white gown.

The television played in front of her.

She sat like that for a long time as a granddaughter was born, holidays passed and family members came and went.

Johannas Pope, 61, died Aug. 29, 2003, and she didn't want to be buried, Hamilton County Coroner Dr. O'dell Owens said today. He said she told family members her wishes were:

“Don’t show my body when I’m dead. Don’t bury me.

“I’m coming back.”

Pope's caretaker, a friend in her 40s, followed Pope’s wishes and left the dead woman upstairs in the home, dressed in the white gown and in front of the television for almost 2½ years, Owens said.

A family member, who hadn’t seen Pope in two years, called the police last week.

Police responded to the home in the 5500 block of Davies Place last Wednesday.

“Standing outside, one could smell death,” Owens said.

Inside the home, behind a basket blocking a door police found a staircase that led to the second floor where they stumbled upon the gruesome discovery.

“People who worked here have never seen this before,” Owens said.

Owens found no signs of abuse or foul play. Little tissue remained, making it difficult to determine the cause of death, he said.

Pope had Lupus, but it was unknown Monday whether that contributed to her death.

Owens has collected what little tissue remains of Pope to test for chemicals and diseases.

Officials initially believed Pope wished to remain unburied due to religious beliefs. They have since changed that view.

“It was more honoring philosophical than religious beliefs,” Owens said.

Owens spoke about Pope’s death Monday morning with hopes of educating the public about proper burials. “This is not the way to go,” he said.

Owens’ office, along with the police and prosecutors, are working together to determine whether any crimes were committed.

The caretaker and family members did not benefit in any way by keeping Pope.

Pope’s body did not appear to be abused in any way either, Owens said.

Family members, didn’t go upstairs. Instead, they lived downstairs while death took over the second floor.

E-mail carnold@enquirer.com

There is no way that their whole house wasnt infested..... You cant keep death on one level...... I know........

I lived in a small apartment complex that has 3 levels, basement, first floor and second floor......total of 6 apartments. It was late August....a popular vacation time. It happened that all but 2 tenants were on vacation, us and an elderly school teacher. I was helping with the mail and watering plants of 2 vacationing tents at the time. We were on the first floor. I would go upstairs with the mail everyday and would hear the school teachers loud tv blasting in the hall. She was upstairs and one over from us. At first I thought mannnnnn she needs to take her fishy garbage out...... (I know I was stupid) I then went to the apartment under her with the mail and when I walked in on their carpet......it was moving. Of course I walked in about 10 feet when I noticed this. I began screaming and my hubby heard me. He comes running in and says those are maggots. I then took a flying leap out of the apt and stood shaking and stomping critters off of me. I then told my hubby about the bad smell upstairs and we called the super. My hubby and the super broke into her apt after getting no answer. The chain was on the door so they used a hack saw. My hubby said it was a sight he will never forget. She was sitting in her lazy boy in front of her TV. (With her door opened.....the smell filled all the apartments.) They said she was dead about a week. The Health Dept had to be called to get rid of the infestation. The maggots had crawled thru the walls and down to the lower apartment. We caught it before it had infected our apartment. It was sooo grossssss! I had to clean out all my neighbors food in the cubboards. Everytime I hear one of those tingling hanging thingys.....I think of her. She had like 3 of those annoying things on her porch.....and they seemed to really be blowing and tinkling that week, annoying me more than usual. It was like she was beckoning me up there.

tinkle tinkle..... *shiver*