[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wireless routers

ChuckB

Looking for a wireless router and adapter so I can network my Tivo. Since I don't have a landline this is the only way I can do it, plus I get additional features like sending music and photos from my pc to the Tivo, and there supposed to be making it compatible with the video Ipod and PSP so it will be simple to download your favorite programming! Anyway there are certain ones recommended on the Tivo site and I found the netgear 54mbps wireless router w/adapter for about $67 total and a D link DI 524 router w/adapter(DWL G122) for about the same price. Which one should I get or does it even matter? :D

Edited by ChuckB

Looking for a wireless router and adapter so I can network my Tivo. Since I don't have a landline this is the only way I can do it, plus I get additional features like sending music and photos from my pc to the Tivo, and there supposed to be making it compatible with the video Ipod and PSP so it will be simple to download your favorite programming! Anyway there are certain ones recommended on the Tivo site and I found the netgear 54mbps wireless router w/adapter for about $67 total and a D link DI 524 router w/adapter(DWL G122) for about the same price. Which one should I get or does it even matter? :D

1259313[/snapback]

I have a Lynksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz 54Mbps, works fine for me. :D I think they're all similar

Find out what you ISP sells, then go buy your own. I'm on Sprint and they sell Linksys. I went out and bought a Netgear since it was on sale and it won't work unless I set my DSL modem into bridge mode and my modem won't stay in bridge mode. Took the Netgear back and got a Linksys, setup and running in 10 minutes, haven't had a problem in 6 months.

My d-link works great. I even access the internet from my PSP with it. :D Not to mention I can take my wireless card over to my neighbors house to clean spyware off their pc, using my faster home connection to update their apps.

Be sure to follow ALL the security suggestions, tho! :D

Here's some info... http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Security118072

Edited by CowboysDiehard

Go wired if you can. I tried the wireless, it was just too slow. So I snaked a wire through the attic. It's worth a little hassle for the speed. I'd even invest in Gigabit network, but I suppose Tivo probably doesn't support it.

This is mature technology at this point, all standardized. Every company uses components from the same sources, so I doubt there's much difference in quality. That said, it probably is better to do what Selly suggested and use whatever your ISP uses. It may minimize setup and compatibility issues.

Find out what you ISP sells, then go buy your own. I'm on Sprint and they sell Linksys. I went out and bought a Netgear since it was on sale and it won't work unless I set my DSL modem into bridge mode and my modem won't stay in bridge mode. Took the Netgear back and got a Linksys, setup and running in 10 minutes, haven't had a problem in 6 months.

1259359[/snapback]

Now that is some good information....

I've got a Netgear & it works great. It has 'smart antennas' which basically will search for your pc & keep it linked up and they're internal so no worried about breaking them. The range is fantastic. I've linked up with a 'very good' connection outside my brick home on the opposite end of the house. Plenty of ports to plug into as well. It even has a cool blue glow. :D

Here's a shot of what it looks like. The dome on the top is what glows & if you don't like it they provide a cover.

NETGEAR WPN824 IEEE 802.11b/g RangeMax Wireless Router

SpecificationsModel

Brand NETGEAR

Model WPN824

Spec

Standards IEEE 802.11b/g

Security 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA

WPA/WPA2 WPA

Ports 1x10/100M WAN; 4x10/100M LAN

LEDs Link activity

Data Rates up to 108Mbps

Frequency Band 2.4GHz

Antenna Internal Antenna

VPN support Two VPN end-to-end tunnels (IPSec) supported

Wireless Adapter included No

Dimensions 8.8" x 6.0" x 1.2"

Weight 1.2 lbs

Features

Features Seven internal smart antennas – no need to manually adjust and no risk of breaking.

SmartWizard™ simplifies setup by automatically detecting and configuring your router for virtually all ISP connections.

Warranty

Manufacturer Warranty 1-Year limited warranty

i just bought a linksys and went wireless at home a few months ago.  zero problems up to this point and it works really well.

1259459[/snapback]

Me too. :D

Thanks for the info, I went with the netgear and got the router and wireless adapter for $66.95 brand new. Sounded like a good deal and the seller had 100% positive feedback rating on Ebay so I'm fairly confident there shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by ChuckB

Thanks for the info, I went with the netgear and got the router and wireless adapter for $66.95 brand new. Sounded like a good deal and the seller had 100% positive feedback rating on Ebay so I'm fairly confident there shouldn't be a problem.

1260173[/snapback]

webbhead188 ??

We always advise our users who want to work at home to get Linksys.  I have one and it has been working just fine for two years now.

1260894[/snapback]

Mine went belly up after one year, I had to continually reboot it and I tried various fixes including firmware updates. But I chalked that up to the fact that I happened to get a lemon.

I ended up getting a D-Link becaues it was a good deal and have had it for over a year w/o problems, but I have read about people having the same model as my current D-Link and having to reboot their router continuously.

We just purchased a bunch of wireless routers at work to upgrade our sales force, all Linksys.

Edited by Gunther

That is definitely him...did you sell it to him :D

1260914[/snapback]

No, but I wanna know why he sells Outback appetizer coupons on Ebay and doesn't offer up on here!

Unless they are as fake as they appear! :D

No, but I wanna know why he sells Outback appetizer coupons on Ebay and doesn't offer up on here!

Unless they are as fake as they appear! :D

1260921[/snapback]

Nah there real, I use to work there as a key employee(managed a couple days a week) and always had them in my pocket cause' we handed em out to every moran that complained so I always ended up with some when I went home and I just threw em aside. I havent managed there in about five and a half years and I just ran across them in an old box so I put them on Ebay. Well guess what, after selling them I was contacted by the Megan Fox that runs this Outback and he said the legal dept. contacted him and said they were gonna prosecute me because what I did was illegal :D So I had to contact everyone and get as many back as I could. So friggin stupid :D

Nah there real, I use to work there as a key employee(managed a couple days a week) and always had them in my pocket cause' we handed em out to every moran that complained so I always ended up with some when I went home and I just threw em aside. I havent managed there in about five and a half years and I just ran across them in an old box so I put them on Ebay. Well guess what, after selling them I was contacted by the Megan Fox that runs this Outback and he said the legal dept. contacted him and said they were gonna prosecute me because what I did was illegal :D So I had to contact everyone and get as many back as I could. So friggin stupid :D

1260954[/snapback]

Looks like there are a lot of people selling those on Ebay....they are going to have to chase a lot of sellers!