[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lying to be confirmed

MojoMan

Would you lie to get confirmed for an important job (like SCJ)?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you lie to get confirmed for an important job (like SCJ)?

• Yes
    • No

If you were being interviewed in the Senate for a big, big, big appointment like Supreme Court Justice, would you lie to get in?

For instance, if you felt strongly that Roe v. Wade should be overturned and you were asked about it, would you lie to placate your critics.

Then, if you were confirmed, would you thumb your nose at whoever and vote as you originally intended?

I'd pull a page out of Rugh Bater-Ginsbergs book, and refuse to answer a question that I felt would be detremental to getting appointed on the grounds that it might cause a conflict on the court where I'd have to recuse myself.

I wouldn't lie. I would hope I was made a candidate on my merits in many years of service. That, and your past record should paint a fairly representative picture of how you see many issues. Noone will be the perfect candidate so they need to get over it.

Well of course I would lie. Why change horses in mid-stream? Gotta be myself.

(This is what people that are up for those kinds of positions would say and do.... not me personally. But then I would never get to where they are to begin with since I am honest.)

Well of course I would lie. Why change horses in mid-stream? Gotta be myself.

(This is what people that are up for those kinds of positions would say and do.... not me personally. But then I would never get to where they are to begin with since I am honest.)

1259676[/snapback]

With your first comment, I guess you assume Alito (and others?) have done nothing but lie to get where they are today? Man, we conservatives (and/or Rupublicans) are an evil bunch.

You are honest, and yet you state as fact what people who are up for the Supreme Court will say and do?

With your first comment, I guess you assume Alito (and others?) have done nothing but lie to get where they are today?  Man, we conservatives (and/or Rupublicans) are an evil bunch.

You are honest, and yet you state as fact what people who are up for the Supreme Court will say and do?

1259719[/snapback]

I didn't say or mean that ALL of them lie ALL the time. Democrats.. Republicans... Evil Axis... whatever... whomever... there is not one pure honest one in the bunch. There can't be... they don't get to those positions without being at least somewhat dishonest. You cannot get anywhere telling people the truth and how you actually feel or see things.

Do you honestly believe everything that people say to be confirmed for anything? I find that hard to understand. Actions speak louder than words..... and too many times... way too many times... later actions do not back up the past words.

There is not one honest man/woman in elected high office. They would never have been a position to be there if they were absolutely honest. Doesn't work.

You mean like pretending that you never heard of a group you belonged to that had a bad reputation, even though you put it on your resume to get a job in the past? Or how about promising that you'll recuse yourself if faced with a case that involved a certain entity that you have a hugh financial interest in, and then when the time comes completely ignore your ethical promise and rule in the favor of said entity? (Which ruling is later made void because of biased interest and then overturned.)

I didn't say or mean that ALL of them lie ALL the time. Democrats.. Republicans... Evil Axis... whatever... whomever... there is not one pure honest one in the bunch. There can't be... they don't get to those positions without being at least somewhat dishonest. You cannot get anywhere telling people the truth and how you actually feel or see things.

Do you honestly believe everything that people say to be confirmed for anything? I find that hard to understand. Actions speak louder than words..... and too many times... way too many times... later actions do not back up the past words.

There is not one honest man/woman in elected high office. They would never have been a position to be there if they were absolutely honest. Doesn't work.

1259743[/snapback]

I'm not really disagreeing with you completely, I'm "mostly" busting your chops.

I think you should also look to those who confirm Supreme Court Justices (of any party you want) and ask how honest they are in evaluating the "qualifications" of the person the President-is-allowed-by-the-Constitution-to-name-to-the-Supreme-Court.

I think you should also look to those who confirm Supreme Court Justices (of any party you want) and ask how honest they are in evaluating the "qualifications"...

1259757[/snapback]

LOL

From my POV that is a bunch of liars confirming a liar. :D But then it takes one to know one.... and maybe the 'qualifications' might be recognizing that the one to be confirmed is a 'really good liar' and thus qualified. (Sort of a 'he's one of us' type of thing.)

I don't know.... seems like everything is politics and I am very disillusioned with that and polititians in general. At least in the olden days there was the illusion that the polititian cared about America and it's people..... now it just seems all they care about is themselves, money, how much power they can grab, and how many stupid statements they can make.

What I don't get is why nobody will ask the questions like the following?

Q: Back in the 1980s when you said that you thought that abortion was not a constitutionally protected right, did you approach that question and reach that decision with an open-mind.

A: Yes (I can't see how he could not say "yes" here)

Q: You have said that if you are faced with an abortion decision as a SC judge that you will approach it with an open mind, is this correct?

A: Yes (almost certainly he will say "yes")

Q: Please explain what, if anything, has changed in the past 20 years that might cause your open-mind to reach a different conclusion concerning a woman's right to get an abortion today than your open-mind reached 20 years ago.

What I don't get is why nobody will ask the questions like the following?

Q:  Back in the 1980s when you said that you thought that abortion was not a constitutionally protected right, did you approach that question and reach that decision with an open-mind.

A:  Yes (I can't see how he could not say "yes" here)

Q:  You have said that if you are faced with an abortion decision as a SC judge that you will approach it with an open mind, is this correct?

A:  Yes (almost certainly he will say "yes")

Q:  Please explain what, if anything, has changed in the past 20 years that might cause your open-mind to reach a different conclusion concerning a woman's right to get an abortion today than your open-mind reached 20 years ago.

1259785[/snapback]

Q: Harriet Meyers stated that the President is the most brilliant man she has ever met. Do you agree with this assertion?

A: :D