[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best jobs in Oh Six

MojoMan

7 out of the 16 are medical field related, not surprising.

I disagree with engineering (sorry Big John). With companies able to hire 4 and 5 engineers from India and China for the price of one here in the States, it doesn't seem to equate to a good future for that vocation. How about civil engineering or some such?

Electrician. Among the trades, this is my favorite. You're less likely to ruin your back or knees than are carpenters or plumbers. And demand for electricians is likely to grow faster than for other trades because of our increasingly electrified world. Another plus is that this career, like most trades, is highly resistant to being offshored to low-cost countries like China. Formal training usually involves a paid four-year apprenticeship combining community college training with on-the-job, supervised practice.

Good info here .

I disagree with engineering (sorry Big John).  With companies able to hire 4 and 5 engineers from India and China for the price of one here in the States, it doesn't seem to equate to a good future for that vocation.  How about civil engineering or some such?

1260647[/snapback]

That was the reason for my " :D ". I still don't see it as stable. :D

Edited by Big John

That was the reason for my " :D ".  I still don't see it as stable. :D

1260699[/snapback]

Think it depends upon which flavor of engineering you prefer. I believe that biomedical and bioengineering are going to still be strong here from quite some time. As a former chemical engineer, I would be worried.

Think it depends upon which flavor of engineering you prefer.  I believe that biomedical and bioengineering are going to still be strong here from quite some time.  As a former chemical engineer, I would be worried.

1261134[/snapback]

Civil Engineering.

I'm surprised to see the Speech/OT/PT entries as low as they are, frankly. Occupational and Physical therapy are booming fields. What's great about them is they offer such a wide range of populations to work with from young children to the elderly. Schools, hospitals, private practice...it's wide open. High demand is generally bringing signing bonuses too.

If only I'd have known this 15 years ago :D

If I was becoming a medical person of some kind, I'd specialize in older people.  With the boomers likely to live longer and so many of them, that field will be a license to print money.

1261959[/snapback]

Pretty much. Hospice business is booming. :D

HEY!!!! Come on! Gynecologist has gotta be on that list SOMEWHERE!  :D  :D  :D

1262555[/snapback]

Being a gynecologist in 1965 would have made the top-10 for sure as the wave of baby-boomers would have just started hitting 20 years old or so and you could be sure to have a steady inflow of young attractive baby-boomer women as patients for the next two decades or so. Becoming a gynecologist in 2006 as the wave of baby-boomer women is just starting to hit age 60 would make it seem less attractive.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't that reliable, but if the Huddle is a microcosm of society, there's a helluva lotta babies being born now. And I know a few folks in 'real life' who are pregnant right now too.

1262749[/snapback]

uh, Czar, my comment about the baby-boomer women wasn't about their fertil.... uh.... nevermind :D

Civil Engineering.

1261339[/snapback]

Every civil engineering firm in the state (MT) is advertising. Our firm has advertised twice in the last year and can't hardly get a resume, let alone a qualified applicant. I can only imagine it is an even tougher market in large urban areas that are experiencing way more growth than we are here in the sticks.