[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NBA blows

Guest Sores

Amazing how far the NBA has fallen since the days of Bird/Magic/Jordan. I forget which NBA star laid the wood to the youngsters and their attitude and style of play coming into the league. It just isn't fun to watch or follow. The NBA used to be full of great players who were good guys.

Living in Wisconsin in the 80's....Sidney Moncrief was such a great player and person. Paul Pressey exhibited nothing but class. Paul Mokeski and Randy Breuer were the two ugly twin towers.

I was living in Salt Lake City during the early 90's. Malone and Stockton were Gods. Mark Eaton was a king. Thurl Bailey was a wonderful team ambassador.

I think Reggie Miller was the last of the "old guard". A great player and great ambassador for the game.

Today we are stuck with the LeBrons and Carmelos. The Artests and the Kobes. Dwayne Wade is sorta old school...but still has a lot of punk in him.

Start watching the Pistons. Basketball played like it should be.

Spurs too.

Funny how the two best teams in the league don't really have the make up of the majority of the new NBA. Only one true superstar between them (Duncan), and he is the quietest superstar you will find.

That would be Charles Barkley saying the new players are crapola, probably. He's known for being forthright and more power to him.

There are some exceptions to the rule (Kevin Garnett, Earl Boykins, others), but generally the NBA isn't what it was. Guaranteed contracts in the mega-millions have made sure of that. Some markets get turned down by players because their endorsements will drop.

Start watching the Pistons.  Basketball played like it should be.

Spurs too.

Funny how the two best teams in the league don't really have the make up of the majority of the new NBA.  Only one true superstar between them (Duncan), and he is the quietest superstar you will find.

1260261[/snapback]

I'll give you Duncan (not sure how he slipped my mind). Good guy. Great player. But doesn't do much to represent the league or the Spurs as he is soooo quiet.

I'd like to see something to back this up.  Wade is a class act, IMO.

1260344[/snapback]

Purely an impression gained primarily watching him in games he played in college....see, I watch college basketball....Wade had a lot of showboat/young punk/ESPNhighlightshow in him at Marquette...IMO-YMV.

Purely an impression gained primarily watching him in games he played in college....see, I watch college basketball....Wade had a lot of showboat/young punk/ESPNhighlightshow in him at Marquette...IMO-YMV.

1260381[/snapback]

I agree with this. Ton of talent but he always has this "the world is against me" look on his face.

Great talent though.

Today we are stuck with the LeBrons and Carmelos.  The Artests and the Kobes.  Dwayne Wade is sorta old school...but still has a lot of punk in him.

1260254[/snapback]

I agree with your sentiments for the most part, but must call you out on Lebron and Dwayne Wade. I was a Lebron hater when he first came in to the league but he has won me over (no small task) with his attitude and beyond his years maturity. Dwayne Wade is a team guy and very giving .

Spurs too.

Funny how the two best teams in the league don't really have the make up of the majority of the new NBA.  Only one true superstar between them (Duncan), and he is the quietest superstar you will find.

1260261[/snapback]

Agreed.

I'll give you Duncan (not sure how he slipped my mind).  Good guy.  Great player.  But doesn't do much to represent the league or the Spurs as he is soooo quiet.

1260319[/snapback]

You want your cake and eat it too, eh? Duncan is a class act, great person, great player, very team oriented, and quiet almost to a fault. What more of a role model do you need? I guess you need one of those guys that shouts out how good they are instead of just quietly dominating. Of course, then he'd fall in to your bin of what is wrong with NBA players.

KG is a pretty classy guy here in Minnesota,

1260263[/snapback]

good player...but, classy?? uhh...not exactly.

Today we are stuck with the LeBrons and Carmelos.

you say that like it's a bad thing? chit, these guys are 21 years old and INCREDIBLY good. i watched one of the best basketball games i've ever seen last night. melo had 43 points and 11 boards. took a knee straight to the face and busted his nose up in triple overtime....then turned around a few minutes later and hit the game-winning shot with two guys on him and a bunch of cotton stuffed up his nose.

but i take it most of you "the NBA is all ghetto punks" whiners probably didn't catch that game, huh? :D

You want your cake and eat it too, eh?  Duncan is a class act, great person, great player, very team oriented, and quiet almost to a fault.  What more of a role model do you need?  I guess you need one of those guys that shouts out how good they are instead of just quietly dominating.  Of course, then he'd fall in to your bin of what is wrong with NBA players.

1260392[/snapback]

Nope...I pointed out the type of players I miss....the Sidney Moncriefs, the Stocktons, the Malones....the Birds...the Magics. As I said...I forgot about Duncan...he qualifies, but at a time when the NBA needs more players like him to represent the league, he is happier in the shadows. Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying.

Spurs too.

1260261[/snapback]

the funny thing is that i agree, the spurs and pistons play true team basketball and perhaps are closest to what real basketball should be. and yet when both teams made the finals last season over the suns and heat, i found it so boring that it completely turned me off. so maybe the fans are to blame, too -- if people didn't cheer so much for dunks and jersey-snapping, maybe players wouldn't put so much importance on it.

personally, i haven't watched much of the nba since the lockout.

I used to be a big fan of the game. Something has been happening over the last 7+ years that I just can't put my finger on. I just turn on a game and it's so boring. I don't know if there have been serious rule changes or something but it just doesn't seem like the same game it was back in the day.

good player...but, classy??  uhh...not exactly. 

You might be able to dredge up something, but KG is a fine example of what being a high profile athlete is all about. In Minny, we're darn glad to have him. I wish we could get the quality on the court with him.

i watched one of the best basketball games i've ever seen last night.  melo had 43 points and 11 boards.  took a knee straight to the face and busted his nose up in triple overtime....then turned around a few minutes later and hit the game-winning shot with two guys on him and a bunch of cotton stuffed up his nose. 

but i take it most of you "the NBA is all ghetto punks" whiners probably didn't catch that game, huh?  :D

1260401[/snapback]

Actually did see that game, or part of it. Very impressive performances all round.

you say that like it's a bad thing? chit, these guys are 21 years old and INCREDIBLY good. i watched one of the best basketball games i've ever seen last night. melo had 43 points and 11 boards. took a knee straight to the face and busted his nose up in triple overtime....then turned around a few minutes later and hit the game-winning shot with two guys on him and a bunch of cotton stuffed up his nose.

but i take it most of you "the NBA is all ghetto punks" whiners probably didn't catch that game, huh? :D

1260401[/snapback]

Lebron is a great ambassador for the game already IMO. Carmelo had more maturing to do, but from what I've been reading, he's come a long way in that regard this year. I truly had a dislike for him following the Olympics and from watching an episode of Punk'd :D , but I may have to change my tune on him. Or maybe I just hated him because the Pistons selected Darko Milicic over him :doah:

I'll give you Duncan (not sure how he slipped my mind).  Good guy.  Great player.  But doesn't do much to represent the league or the Spurs as he is soooo quiet.

1260319[/snapback]

Nope...I pointed out the type of players I miss....the Sidney Moncriefs, the Stocktons, the Malones....the Birds...the Magics.  As I said...I forgot about Duncan...he qualifies, but at a time when the NBA needs more players like him to represent the league, he is happier in the shadows.  Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying.

1260403[/snapback]

Not sure what I misunderstood but...:D...sounds like we more or less are on the same page. :D

melo had 43 points and 11 boards.

1260401[/snapback]

and 6 turnovers and only 1 assist.... :D

You might be able to dredge up something,

:D you mean like grabbing francisco elson's package? or the ridiculous talk of "going to war" with uzis and m-16s?

In Minny, we're darn glad to have him.  I wish we could get the quality on the court with him.

1260430[/snapback]

you should be glad to have him, he's a great player. just far from epitomizing "classy". he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed either, if you catch my drift.

Edited by Azazello1313

I'll go to 2-3 Mav's games every year because I like the atmosphere and just going to the American Airlines Center.

The only way I'll watch the NBA on TV is if the Mav's are deep in the playoffs. The NBA as a whole sucks and is made up of a bunch of hoodlums.