[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rebates, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

idahov

I know this has been discussed before. Generally, I don't bother purchasing things with rebates, opting for immediate savings where possible (even though I might pay slightly more initially).

So, in mid September the wife and I decided to redo our cellphone package with US Cellular. Each phone was around $60.00 with a $30.00 rebate. We complete the deal, get the forms and go on our merry way. I wait about a month to send in to make sure we like and keep the phones, then send it in. The acknowledge the receipt of the rebate request in mid October and estimate that the checks will be mailed approximately one month later, with a receipt date of December 10th (via their website).

In reality, the checks end up being mailed at the end of December and I finally get them on January 11th.

There is no good darn reason it should take this long. They should quit calling it a rebate and call it for what it is, a no interest four month loan. What a scam.

For a good story, Staples rebates are pretty slick. Submit on line, with a check in hand 3-4 weeks later.

I either forget to send in the rebate forms (probably 1/3 of the time), I never get the rebates (1/3 of the time) or I actually get a check about 4 months after purchasing the item. If two items are similar in their sale price, I'm going with the one where I don't have to send in a rebate form.

I either  forget to send in the rebate forms (probably 1/3 of the time), I never get the rebates (1/3 of the time) or I actually get a check about 4 months after purchasing the item. If two items are similar in their sale price, I'm going with the one where I don't have to send in a rebate form.

1262411[/snapback]

:D Good info here! One of mine let me get a 512mb SD card for 10 bucks after instore and rebate. had to do it, man. had to do it. Sad thing was, my house was broken into two days later and they stole the card. I still get my rebate, tho! :D

I've been pretty lucky in regards to mail in rebates. The only problem I've had is with a Seagate hard drive I bought. I called to check up on the rebate for a second time and they didn't have the paperwork, so I sent them copies of everything I sent in. Got the check within a couple of weeks. Yeah, I'm anal and if I am supposed to get a rebate, I will follow up until I get it!

And folks, if you can't wait four months for $30 in rebates, you shouldn't be shopping in the first place. Don't count on the money and just be happy when you get it.

And folks, if you can't wait four months for $30 in rebates, you shouldn't be shopping in the first place.  Don't count on the money and just be happy when you get it.

1262453[/snapback]

That's not the point. I don't live hand to mouth, and I wasn't desperately waiting for 60 friggin dollars in rebates to make my next months mortgage payment. I would have bought the phones even without the rebate.

The point is, it is comical how long it takes most of the time. In my estimation, it's a clever way of keeping more money on their books for a longer period of time. Kudos to them. Thanks for the life lesson. :D

Ha!  At least you got the checks!!!  About half the ones I send in never show up!

1262390[/snapback]

It's a way of offereing sales without really offering them as many people never send them in. I do and last year dseveral(over half) were never paid. Ecost was the worst.

Anyone get rebates for things you never paid for?

I got a free DVR from Directv and got an email to send in the $100 rebate and yesterday got $100.

Edited by Randall

That's not the point.  I don't live hand to mouth, and I wasn't desperately waiting for 60 friggin dollars in rebates to make my next months mortgage payment.  I would have bought the phones even without the rebate.

The point is, it is comical how long it takes most of the time.  In my estimation, it's a clever way of keeping more money on their books for a longer period of time.  Kudos to them.  Thanks for the life lesson.  :D

1262509[/snapback]

In my estimation, it is a ploy for a company to get you to buy their product and then they count on the fact that most people aren't going to send the rebate in, not keeping money on their books. But...besides being anal, I understand what you are saying!

Send in your rebate for Soup's life lesson and save! :D

I've been pretty lucky in regards to mail in rebates.  The only problem I've had is with a Seagate hard drive I bought.  I called to check up on the rebate for a second time and they didn't have the paperwork, so I sent them copies of everything I sent in.  Got the check within a couple of weeks.  Yeah, I'm anal and if I am supposed to get a rebate, I will follow up until I get it!

And folks, if you can't wait four months for $30 in rebates, you shouldn't be shopping in the first place.  Don't count on the money and just be happy when you get it.

1262453[/snapback]

Yep, this is me. And I have even sent them in after the rebate/promotional period ended and stated that I got it as a gift and complained until i got my rebate. Lasst year I got a free $179.99 nail gun :D

But...besides being anal, I understand what you are saying!

1262575[/snapback]

While not generally anal, cleanliness for an example, I am anal about money. Just give me my Oprahing money and all will be well! :D

While not generally anal, cleanliness for an example, I am anal about money.  Just give me my Oprahing money and all will be well! :D

1262646[/snapback]

:D

Oh...I was talking about me. :D

:D

I hate the hassle of rebates!!! Just take the money off up front!!!! :D

(Thanks for letting me rant.  :D )

1262547[/snapback]

That's why they do it. They can advertise price cuts but because many people don't send them in they don't need to pay.

Edited by Randall