[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Las Vegas

ebartender

I'll be getting married in Vegas on May 20th. I have two questions:

1 - We will be going to dinner afterwards (about 50 people). I am looking for a

place to have the dinner. Do you know any places that can accomidate that

amount of people. Looking for Italian but would be open to suggestions.

Looking to spend about $50 per person.

2 - Me & the soon-to-be-wife are also looking for shows/attractions to see or

places to visit.

I'll be getting married in Vegas on May 20th.  I have two questions:

1 - We will be going to dinner afterwards (about 50 people).  I am looking for a

place to have the dinner.  Do you know any places that can accomidate that

amount of people.  Looking for Italian but would be open to suggestions. 

Looking to spend about $50 per person.

2 - Me & the soon-to-be-wife are also looking for shows/attractions to see or

places to visit.

1263046[/snapback]

You just want a place for dinner? Or like mingling and dancing too? You want on the strip or off?

As for shows, I would recommend Mystere, Mamma Mia, Blue Man Group, Zumanity (adult), or even Danny Gans.

As for shows, I would recommend Mystere, Mamma Mia, Blue Man Group, Zumanity (adult), or even Danny Gans.

1263116[/snapback]

I have seen all these shows with the exception of Mystere. I would rank them all top notch. :D One more that I would add if you guys are in the mood is Elton John if he is there when you guys are.

Well, I live here, and have a business here, entertain clients here, party here, gamble here and eat out here. So, I'll throw out my two cents.

If you want to do Italian, and get real old school Italian 5 course meal including glass of wine for 20 bucks a person, while sitting at the same tables where Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and pretty much every entertainer after them dined after-show, you want to check out Battista's Hole in the Wall, tucked away a block off the strip, right across the street from Bally's. 4041 Audrie St (at Flamingo) 702-732-1424.

Another of the classic "lounge era" great Italian eatries in Vegas is the Bootlegger Bistro, (7700 Las Vegas Blvd, 702-736-4939). If you want to go a little more upscale, Canaletto in the The Venetian (702-733-0070) serves real Northern Italian in a great dark wood dining room. Zeffirino Ristorante (702-414-3500) is the best Italian food in possibly the entire land, but expensive, while if you want the best gourmet-style Italian food in Vegas, check out Fiore at The Rio (702-252-7777).

The main thing of course is to call ahead and make sure they can accomodate your size party. But the scampi with Linguine at Battista's is a massive helping and a Las Vegas legend.

As far as shows go, ya, any of the Cirque du Soleil shows are pretty spectacular. Mystere at Treasure Island, Zumanity at New York-New York, KA at the MGM Grand, or O at Bellagio. Shows in town aren't exactly cheap, and if you're putting up a bunch of people in a hotel, ask about any show comps. None of the shows can survive here without being pretty good. My personal favorite is the Amazing Jonathan (magic-humor) at The Sahara. He is so freaking hilarous it's ridiculous. If you want something you can take the whole family to, Tony 'n' Tina's Wedding at The Rio is about as much fun as you can have with the music of Abba.

Anyways, that should give you some ideas to start off with.

I'll tackle the shows part of the request. (restaurant for 50 people is a little out of my concept I think.)

I saw it in New York, but I highly recommend AVENUE Q at Wynn. Assuming it's the same show or very close you will probaly enjoy it. It's like a dirty version of Sesame Street.

If you want to see a Cirque show, I suggest Mystere-- less expensive than "O" and actually more impressive. The only thing O really has over Mystere is the set. I've also heard good things about Ka, but I have yet to see it.

BLUE MAN Group is a ton of fun (have a few drinks before hand.) They moved the Ven, but I assume the show hasn't changed too much.

Edited by TDFFFreak

You just want a place for dinner?  Or like mingling and dancing too?  You want on the strip or off?

1263116[/snapback]

Just dinner. We will be going to clubs afterwards.

Lotta good stuff above. Can't argue w/ anything anyone has said. You may find it difficult finding a hotel reastaurant that will take 50 people. Hell, I had a hard time finding a spot in the Flamingo (Old Steak house) for 18! But they all have 800 #'s so calling around should work given time.

Blue Man is by far the best show in Vegas! I got away for the extravaganza type shows years ago, so I'm not much help there. Amazing Johnathon is very funny, a little gross but funny. George Wallace has a funny show also. Gladys Knight has a very good musical show. There is a bar in the walkway between Paris and Bally's that has dueling pianos. Excellent! Mostly 60-80's R&R, but they do it very well, no cover 1 drink min, but get there early.

Lotta good stuff above.  Can't argue w/ anything anyone has said.

1263521[/snapback]

Oh man! I have to leave for work...and will respond when I get there....but I CAN argue with a lot of what has been said. Maybe it a case of YMMV, but I am sitting here shaking my head at some of the suggestions!...

More to follow.

Ok...here we go.

My views on the suggestions that have been made (other than mine which were superb! :D ).

Elton John - Nice suggestion...Elton is good but doesn't play a lot. Check to see if he is here.

Battista's Hole in the Wall - A legend? Sure. But so is the story of Ed Gein (google it if you don't know). Very overrated even for a low priced joint. I would rather eat at Buca Di Beppo! Even the free wine is overpriced. There is an annoying accordian dude who won't go away until you tip him. This place is horrible.

Bootlegger Bistro - meh. Nothing you will remember.

Canaletto - Have not been here. I reserve judgement.

Zeffirino - Hit or miss. Service is pretty poor by Vegas standards.

Fiore - VERY good. This could be the restraunt for you.

Ka- Cirque show. Aside from marveling at the engineering feat of creating a rotating stage, I was VERY disappointed in this show. Would never recommend it.

O- The most overrated show in Vegas. I have one friend who loved it. Everyone else I know who has seen it has been disappointed. We even gave this one a second chance. We had middling seats the first time, so we got great seats the second time. No good. I think the problem with O is that there is just too much going on. It is over produced.

Amazing Jonathon - Just not my cup of tea. Like I said earlier...YMMV.

Tony and Tina's wedding - Gets decent reviews. I have not seen it, and I think dukdown has not either. He says something about the music of Abba. He is thinking of Mamma Mia, which is a great show. Sorta blows the rest of his "reviews" out of the water.

Avenue Q - I almost had a panic attack watching this show I was so bored. It is HORRIBLY boring. Maybe one memorable song ("Everyone's a Little Bit Racist"). Other than that one song, just an excersise in self indulgence by the cast and director. Blech!!

Gladys Knight - Have not seen her. But Tony Bennett put on a great show. He is old too.

George Wallace - Opened for Seinfeld when I saw him. We couldn't wait for Seinfeld to begin. Couple funny jokes...but not consistent.

Piano Bar - Better duelling pianos in New York/New York piano bar.

As for restraunt recommendations, like I said, Fiore would fit the bill, but may have trouble seating 50.

You might try Spiedini at the JW Marriott off the strip. It is a Gustov Mauler restraunt and very good.

Bertolini's on the strip and off would likely accomodate 50. Not gourmet, but you will have a good meal and pleasent dining experience. Will cost you less than you are looking to spend too.

If you would consider going for a fun and unique atmosphere, non - italian, try Hash House a Go Go. Terrible name true...unreal ecclectic food too. Check them out online, they have a website. The servings are the largest you will ever get and just the presentation alone will make it a meal your guests will remember. Nothing on the menu is over $24. Once again, not gourmet, but very good and casual atmosphere.

Another place that the guests would all have a good time, but may not take 50 is the Samba Grill at the Mirage. It is a Brazilian Rodizio....meat on a stick which they keep serving until you make them stop.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this far too early to be planning a vegas wedding? i thought the planning was supposed to start the few hours before you hit the road to get hitched that night ...

edited to add: by the way, include elvis somehow in the proceedings. he loves weddings.

Edited by tonorator

:D Calling Seminoles!!

Your expertise is needed.

1263051[/snapback]

i saw the sign in the sky so i came.

if i remember correctly, but i could be easily wrong, the Paris hotel has a smaller conference type room, which could be easily catered. as for restaurants and such, i really cant help unless i google stuff.

Ok...here we go.

My views on the suggestions that have been made (other than mine which were superb!  :D ).

Ka- Cirque show.  Aside from marveling at the engineering feat of creating a rotating stage, I was VERY disappointed in this show.  Would never recommend it.

O- The most overrated show in Vegas.  I have one friend who loved it.  Everyone else I know who has seen it has been disappointed.  We even gave this one a second chance.  We had middling seats the first time, so we got great seats the second time.  No good.  I think the problem with O is that there is just too much going on.  It is over produced.

Avenue Q - I almost had a panic attack watching this show I was so bored.  It is HORRIBLY boring.  Maybe one memorable song ("Everyone's a Little Bit Racist").  Other than that one song, just an excersise in self indulgence by the cast and director.  Blech!!

1263970[/snapback]

First and foremost, I couldn't disagree with you more on Avenue Q. One of the funniest, most original musicals I have seen in years all the while actually making a good point about generation X and society in general. Nothing boring about this one assuming you can at a minimum stomach a musical.

One the other hand, I couldn't agree with you more on O. Vastly overrated. I didn't have such a problem with too much going on as not caring what was going on and being bored at times. All of Cirque's productions biggest problems in my show are that they take each segment and drag it out about a few mintues too long. O is no exception and the fact that I had to pay 100 bucks for the experience further angers me. I didn't hate it, but don't believe those who say that this show is great.

Edited by TDFFFreak

My bad, my obsession is correct. Easy to get em mixed up late at night. I meant "Mamma Mia". Great times with the music of Abba.

Battista's is just a relaxed place that will give parents and family members lots to talk about on the walls, while giving everyone an atmosphere to remember. Staff is very friendly, food is plentiful, yes, while not gourmet, but there's selections for every age. The included wine is definitely nothing spectacular, it's red, and the accordian player has been there like 50 years. If you're looking for upscale there's places all over the city that would be much more appropriate. If you're looking to give everyone a place to eat, drink, smoke, and laugh, I enjoy Battista's, and it's easy on the wallet.

Edited by dukdown

Ok...here we go.

My views on the suggestions that have been made (other than mine which were superb!  :D ).

Elton John - Nice suggestion...Elton is good but doesn't play a lot.  Check to see if he is here.  I won't pay ~$200 for a decent seat to see God, let alone Elton!  JMHO!  Old time vegas visitor when the best show in town was $20 w/ 4 drinks + a tip to get great seats.  Hangup of mine.......YES!

Battista's Hole in the Wall - A legend?  Sure.  But so is the story of Ed Gein (google it if you don't know).  Very overrated even for a low priced joint.  I would rather eat at Buca Di Beppo! The one in Chicago has mediocre food. You pay for ambience! Even the free wine is overpriced.  There is an annoying accordian dude who won't go away until you tip him.  This place is horrible.

Bootlegger Bistro - meh.  Nothing you will remember. Never hoid of it!

Canaletto - Have not been here.  I reserve judgement. Never hoid of it!

Zeffirino  - Hit or miss.  Service is pretty poor by Vegas standards. Never hoid of it!

Fiore - VERY good.  This could be the restraunt for you. Never hoid of it!

Ka- Cirque show.  Aside from marveling at the engineering feat of creating a rotating stage, I was VERY disappointed in this show.  Would never recommend it. As I stated before I don't go to extravaganzas!

O- The most overrated show in Vegas.  I have one friend who loved it.  Everyone else I know who has seen it has been disappointed.  We even gave this one a second chance.  We had middling seats the first time, so we got great seats the second time.  No good.  I think the problem with O is that there is just too much going on.  It is over produced. SEE ABOVE!

Amazing Jonathon - Just not my cup of tea.  Like I said earlier...YMMV. Not sure what YMMV means, but he is funny in a gross way.  Though his material may be getting old!

Tony and Tina's wedding - Gets decent reviews.  I have not seen it, and I think dukdown has not either.  He says something about the music of Abba.  He is thinking of Mamma Mia, which is a great show.  Sorta blows the rest of his "reviews" out of the water. True!  Know some people that saw it in Chi and loved it though!

Avenue Q - I almost had a panic attack watching this show I was so bored.  It is HORRIBLY boring.  Maybe one memorable song ("Everyone's a Little Bit Racist").  Other than that one song, just an excersise in self indulgence by the cast and director.  Blech!! READ ABOVE!

Gladys Knight - Have not seen her.  But Tony Bennett put on a great show. He is old too.  Gladys was aces!  But I'm 56 YO! Her Bro, an original PIP takes over the show.

George Wallace - Opened for Seinfeld when I saw him.  We couldn't wait for Seinfeld to begin.  Couple funny jokes...but not consistent. Disagree here.  Took a Bud of mine to see him, he is very hard to please w/ comedians.  He loved it!  he also liked Rita Rudner...whom I love!  Fresh stuff, saw her twice both shows totally different!

Piano Bar - Better duelling pianos in New York/New York piano bar.  I was at the one that I spoke about.  The guys were funny (after someone paid $2 for a 'Barry HandleNose' song they said "For another $5, we won't play it."  Someone came up gave them the fin and they trashed it :D)  did a great job (Italian Restaurant was AS GOOD as Billy did it!) Cheap!  Hell, a young chick at the table next to us dragged me (and my bad knees) onto the dance floor!  She was a cutie (~30YO?) :D I'll put the one at NY,NY on my next itierary!

As for restraunt recommendations, like I said, Fiore would fit the bill, but may have trouble seating 50.  As I said previously, most restaurants won'tdon't like to take a party of 50, unless they have a separate room, catering, etc.  Plan ahead and call ahead of time.

If you would consider going for a fun and unique atmosphere, non - italian, try Hash House a Go Go.  Terrible name true...unreal ecclectic food too.  Check them out online, they have a website.  The servings are the largest you will ever get and just the presentation alone will make it a meal your guests will remember.  Nothing on the menu is over $24.  Once again, not gourmet, but very good and casual atmosphere.  We like Mikado @ the Mirage.  Pseudo-Japanesse, but well done, good protions, good food! JMHO!

1263970[/snapback]

My additional $00.02. I respect your opinions my obsession! :D i hope you respect mine! :D

My additional $00.02.  I respect your opinions my obsession! :D  i hope you respect mine! :D

1264722[/snapback]

I respect everyone's opinion and I know that we don't all like the same cup of tea but I want to say a quick thing or two.

Elton John tickets can be had for 100.00 a seat right from the Caesar’s site. At least they could when my wife and I saw him. They were the cheap seats but I would never advise to purchase anything but the cheap seats as they were great. My wife wants to go see him again, btw.

Amazing Jonathon - was a good show. I liked it enough that I would not complain but unlike a lot of people I would not give it two solid thumbs up and would be a little hesitant to recommend.

Rita Rudner - was a really good show when she was here in Pittsburgh. I have not seen her show in Vegas but I would be willing to bet that it is a very good one.

George Wallace - I have not seen but a friend of mine that goes to Vegas a few times a year gets comped tickets and says that his show is always different. Sometimes it is not so great according to him. :D

Now we are starting to get ebartender’s thread a little off track. Not that that ever stops us. From this point I will restrain myself from giving my .02 worth.