[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chlorine

Shotgun Messiahs

As a Brach Manager of a pool distributor. I like to share some info with you if you own a pool or know someone who owns a pool. Most people that store chlorine in there garages and storage areas have know idea how dangerous this product is.

Please advise to what i'm about to share with you all.

First off, I beg any of you who do have kids and have chlorine to keep them apart from each other.

Chlorine which is known as an oxidizer will have a chemical reaction to any oil based substance. Believe it or not, soda pop too. The chemical reaction will be fire and deadly gases. The dust alone will burn your eyes pretty bad if you touch the bucket and than your eyes. Always wash your hands if you get this white dust on your hands when handling this. If this stuff does catch on fire a water hose will not help you to much. For it will take hours of water pouring to put this out. And if gases are breathed in enough from the fire, can cause lung damage. So, please store these chemicals out of the way of children.

One last tip. D.E. filters. D.E. in it's powder form can cause lung damaged if larged amounts are breathed in. All this stuff is, is crushed sea shells. While it's in the pool system is not harmful. It is very dangerous in a powder form.

If some of you are pervoked into seeing if what I say is true, remember this info. When you decide to test the chemical reaction of the oxidizer. Please do it in an isolated area. With nothing can catch on fire around it. With oil based substances and soda pop you will not see an instant fire. But it won't take long. Also please don't stand in the direction of the wind that will be blowing the oxidizer. Thought I share this info. I hope it can teach people how important it is to respect these chemicals. If you have any questions, Ask away, for this is what I do all day long at work. If you need any personal help with your pool, ask me and I'll do my best to help answer your question.

I keep my chlorine in a bucket out in the backyard in the open air. A couple months ago I dropped a couple tablets in the chlorine holder before the water had drained out and caught the whole splash square in the old eye balls! My first thought was to dive head first in the pool but in a split second changed my mind and instead charged blindy into the house. Found my saline eye drops and used the whole bottle to flush by scorched headlights. I'm here to testify boys, eyeballs and chlorine mix like buckshot and a butt-hole!

Chlorine is classified as a choking agent in chemical warfare and was the first to be used in a full scale WW1 chemical attack. It's heavier than air and can remain in low ground for quite a while. It destroys the repiratory system of it's victims.

Article on WW1 poison gases

I worked as a lifeguard in high school and wittnessed the potency of chlorine. We always wore masks while working with it. One time one of the guys took off his mask too early, got a huge whiff of it and passed out right where he stood. He cracked his head open on pipes when he fell. Another time we were out of the compressed sticks (i forget now, what they are called, stingy sticks?) so this kid puts granular in the chlorinator instead. Not shortly after, the chlorinator blew sky high from the gas buildup.

Edited by billay

I just put in an inground this past summer, i know nothing about pools . A friend of mine suggested i install a salt generator. I just added 1400lbs of salt to public water filled for 40K galloon pool and use no chlorine at all. Worked great all year and the generator was easy to install and about 700-1200 dollars.

This is good info, SM, thanks. I just got back from Leslies a few minutes ago with some chlorine and muratic acid. As a kid in AZ, I used to put some chlorine in a glass jar with a toad or scorpion and then put some acid with it and put the lid on real fast. The animals didn't last long.

I'm putting in an above ground this spring. I got one of those thingies that allows you to use much less chlorine, of course I can't remember what it's called. Nature something. :D

For the last few years we've had one of those funky pools with the inflatable top ring. The chlorine tabs I've used for that haven't been too bad...but the shock, well that's another story. And that's just a more concentrated chlorine, right? That stuff is nasty.

This is good info, SM, thanks.  I just got back from Leslies a few minutes ago with some chlorine and muratic acid.  As a kid in AZ, I used to put some chlorine in a glass jar with a toad or scorpion and then put some acid with it and put the lid on real fast.  The animals didn't last long.

1265187[/snapback]

Ah yes, another Texas CHRISTIAN fan. I wonder what your job in the next life will be? :D

I'm putting in an above ground this spring. I got one of those thingies that allows you to use much less chlorine, of course I can't remember what it's called. Nature something. :D

For the last few years we've had one of those funky pools with the inflatable top ring. The chlorine tabs I've used for that haven't been too bad...but the shock, well that's another story. And that's just a more concentrated chlorine, right? That stuff is nasty.

1265193[/snapback]

Shock also known as calcium hypochlorite is the strongest stuff you can put in a pool. In 2 hours it will kill anything. I hope after you put the shock in, you put some baking soda in after 2 hours. To bring the shock level down.

I think you are speaking of the Nature 2 purifier.

This is good info, SM, thanks.  I just got back from Leslies a few minutes ago with some chlorine and muratic acid.  As a kid in AZ, I used to put some chlorine in a glass jar with a toad or scorpion and then put some acid with it and put the lid on real fast.  The animals didn't last long.

1265187[/snapback]

If you ever spill the muratic acid just put baking soda on it to kill it. It will also contain the gases too.

Shotgun - I am required to have a Pennsylvania state pesticide license, I forget the category, in order to work with chlorine. Everything you say up there is true and it’s great that you post that as lot of people really don’t have a clue how dangerous this stuff can be.

I do take a small exception with one thing you say up there. Diatomaceous Earth is exactly as harmful as you say and maybe even more. But it does not take large amounts to cause problems. This stuff has a coating affect on your lungs just like it has on the pool filters. You should not be exposing yourself to this stuff without a breathing apparatus that will filter D.E. IMHO.

Shock also known as calcium hypochlorite is the strongest stuff you can put in a pool. In 2 hours it will kill anything. I hope after you put the shock in, you put some baking soda in after 2 hours. To bring the shock level down.

I think you are speaking of the Nature 2 purifier.

1265766[/snapback]

Interesting...I have a hot tub and shock it every week as per the chemical maintenance instructions. I do notice that my ph goes up, is that because of the shock? Should I normally put in some baking soda each week to bring the ph down and keep the alkalinity (sp) in check. It has been a juggling act to keep these in line but I guess I never thought about shock raising the ph. I should of I guess it only makes sense. :doah:

I had an above ground pool that was a nightmare to take care of.

Put an inground pool in but consulted some friends and went with the salt system.

Much, much easier to maintain.

If anybody is thinking about putting a pool in, get the salt system. It's about $1200 more but it'll save you a lot of work/heartache.

I had an above ground pool that was a nightmare to take care of.

Put an inground pool in but consulted some friends and went with the salt system.

Much, much easier to maintain.

If anybody is thinking about putting a pool in, get the salt system. It's about $1200 more but it'll save you a lot of work/heartache.

1269353[/snapback]

Sad thing is these new salt systems are turning to be a bust. The Cells are not lasting long.

Which one did you get.

The Goldline Aqua-Rite? Clearwater? Intelli Chlor? Polaris? Make sure the salt you put in your pool is atleast 89% percent salt. Otherwise the cell will fail.