[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the fastest car for $20,000 or less?

Meat Face

Camaro Z28, no contest.

1266369[/snapback]

Don't claim to be an expert on these, but you get basically the same LS1 engine in my '98 Corvette (stock 345 HP). I believe the stock Z28 is (probably underrated) at just over 300 HP. Chevy didn't want to see the Camaro/Firebird outperform the Corvette. :D

I believe traction control was an option and not standard on the Z28, but I'd highly recommend it. It'll get sideways on ya in an instant without it. My traction control has saved my ass more than a few times. Very easily modified to make more HP. Put a nice exhaust on it, Z06 cam, longtube headers, LS6 oil pump, K&N filter, change the gears to 3.73, etc and it's a monster.

Don't claim to be an expert on these, but you get basically the same LS1 engine in my '98 Corvette (stock 345 HP).  I believe the stock Z28 is (probably underrated) at just over 300 HP.  Chevy didn't want to see the Camaro/Firebird outperform the Corvette.  :D

I believe traction control was an option and not standard on the Z28, but I'd highly recommend it.  It'll get sideways on ya in an instant without it.  My traction control has saved my ass more than a few times.  Very easily modified to make more HP.  Put a nice exhaust on it, Z06 cam, longtube headers, LS6 oil pump, K&N filter, change the gears to 3.73, etc and it's a monster.

1266445[/snapback]

The Pontiac GTO also has the LS1 engine :D

If we're talking used cars...

I'm not sure you can get it for 20k, but I believe that a 2004 Subaru WRX STi is the ticket if your are looking for a relatively inexpensive rocket ship.

Pretty sure that its quicker than a Z28.

Besides, a Z28 is a piece of lead designed around a huge engine. If you are only going to drive in a straight line and don't really care about braking, or handling, or the interior, I'm sure its a great car.

Edited by Furd

Besides, a Z28 is a piece of lead designed around a huge engine.   If you are only going to drive in a straight line and don't really care about braking, or handling, or the interior, I'm sure its a great car.

1266520[/snapback]

And the Suburu is a rice rocket that people will laugh at you for being gay driving...unless you're a 16-year old wigga. It's got the ghey.

There's a guy that parks around me with one at my work's parking lot. I've wanted to bring in some novels and line them up across his massive ricer wing, but don't know him that well. :D

Edited by TimC

And the Suburu is a rice rocket that people will laugh at you for being gay driving...unless you're a 16-year old wigga.  It's got the ghey.

There's a guy that parks around me with one at my work's parking lot.  I've wanted to bring in some novels and line them up across his massive ricer wing, but don't know him that well.  :D

1266639[/snapback]

And if you get in an accident have a better chance of walking again in the Subaru.

If you are only going to drive in a straight line and don't really care about braking, or handling,

Wow.... you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

How many late model Z28's have you driven?

The Z28 shares many common components with the Vette, they are a pure sports car, they are not made to be a caddy.

Wow.... you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

How many late model Z28's have you driven?

The Z28 shares many common components with the Vette, they are a pure sports car, they are not made to be a caddy.

1266778[/snapback]

One. 2000 I think, but I'm not sure.

Mostly stock with some adjustments to the suspension and the brakes (a Brembo brake kit I think).

It has good speed in the straightaway. But its big and heavy and doesn't handle all that well. Brakes were good, but these were modified. With stock suspension and brakes, I imagine that it would be pretty sloppy. It squeals around the track. I imagine they could have been sh*tty tires, but it was loud

Its uncomfortable to drive. It has a long hood and as I recall, it was awkward looking out over the dash.

I exaggerated when I said the it was a POS. It isn't. It was one of the better attempts at a sports car by an American car maker in the last 10 years. But I would disagree with you that its a pure sports car.

Since I hate America, you gots to know I hate American cars (except the newer Corvettes.)

One.  2000 I think, but I'm not sure. 

Mostly stock with some adjustments to the suspension and the brakes (a Brembo brake kit I think).

It has good speed in the straightaway.  But its big and heavy and doesn't handle all that well.  Brakes were good, but these were modified.  With stock suspension and brakes, I imagine that it would be pretty sloppy.  It squeals around the track.  I imagine they could have been sh*tty tires, but it was loud

Its uncomfortable to drive.  It has a long hood and as I recall, it was awkward looking out over the dash.

I exaggerated when I said the it was a POS.  It isn't.  It was one of the better attempts at a sports car by an American car maker in the last 10 years.  But I would disagree with you that its a pure sports car. 

Since I hate America, you gots to know I hate American cars (except the newer Corvettes.)

1266869[/snapback]

:D

BTW I just have to say I had a 94 Z28 and loved it, big and heavy but enough engine to kick some tail, stock except for K&N filter. And I will be hitting the Dtown autoshow this week to check out the new one :D

Edited by ChuckB