[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the fastest car for $20,000 or less?

Meat Face

what year is that?

1267412[/snapback]

I think it's a '91. They made 'em '90-'95. Awesome cars. Still holds speed/endurance records. It has the Lotus-designed LT5 engine (a $30,000 option back then) pumping out 375bhp in 1990 to 405 at the end of the run in 1995.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/lotusengine.htm

If we're talking used cars...

I'm not sure you can get it for 20k, but I believe that a 2004 Subaru WRX STi is the ticket if your are looking for a relatively inexpensive rocket ship.

Pretty sure that its quicker than a Z28.

Besides, a Z28 is a piece of lead designed around a huge engine.  If you are only going to drive in a straight line and don't really care about braking, or handling, or the interior, I'm sure its a great car.

1266520[/snapback]

I'm not that fond of them.  But we're talking about speed, and that it has.

The Z28 is a POS.

1266748[/snapback]

All good info.

You can probably find a loaded 2001-2002 Mustang Cobra SVT with low miles for less than $20k. It is listed at 390hp/390ft. lbs. bone stock. Some owners say the stock 2002s dyno at 420-430 HP. Throw in an ignition kit, open up the airbox and exhaust and you can easily reach 550-580 HP that'll smoke any camaro and most 'vettes. :D

what's out there?

1265955[/snapback]

I was just tooling around eBay motors and saw at least 5 reasonable mileage Corvette C5s that meet your criteria.

You can probably find a loaded 2001-2002 Mustang Cobra SVT with low miles for less than $20k.  It is listed at 390hp/390ft. lbs. bone stock.  Some owners say the stock 2002s dyno at 420-430 HP.  Throw in an ignition kit, open up the airbox and exhaust and you can easily reach 550-580 HP that'll smoke any camaro and most 'vettes.  :D

1268385[/snapback]

that body style of mustang is hideous though.

I was just tooling around eBay motors and saw at least 5 reasonable mileage Corvette C5s that meet your criteria.

1269811[/snapback]

I don't think I'd buy a car off ebay. I'd need to test drive it and see it in person. So unless those cars were in NorCal.....

I don't think I'd buy a car off ebay.  I'd need to test drive it and see it in person.  So unless those cars were in NorCal.....

1269924[/snapback]

I can't say North, but I know some were in CA some privately owned, some by dealers. Worth scoping out just to see what's available.

So neautron says the Z28 is a POS and the brags about the mustang?

Dude, go play atari or something.

1269652[/snapback]

:DOK, GM lover. I've driven both and the post was about fast cars, not nicest. The Camaro and Mustang are poorly built in comparison to real sportscars, but the SVT is one fast car.

that body style of mustang is hideous though.

1269920[/snapback]

I agree. The new ones are sweet though!

:D  OK, GM lover.  I've driven both and the post was about fast cars, not nicest.  The Camaro and Mustang are poorly built in comparison to real sportscars, but the SVT is one fast car.

I agree.  The new ones are sweet though!

1270638[/snapback]

I drove a new Mustang GT today (stick, of course...i can't believe they make them in automatic). It was pretty powerful.

I drove a new Mustang GT today (stick, of course...i can't believe they make them in automatic).  It was pretty powerful.

1270692[/snapback]

The GT is not bad putting out just over 300 HP, but the SVT super charges that same motor for 120-150 extra HP.

I like the Roush version.....