[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One year ago today...

sunysteelfly76

...I smoked my last cigarette. :D I smoked for over 20 years. For anyone looking to quit, Welbutrin gets my emdorsement. :D

There was a thread about this (quitting) around this time last year. How are all the other "quitters" doing?

edit: maybe this will be some good karma for the Steelets today.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

if i can ask , how did wellbutrin help ?? ..i thought that was an antidepressant ...

1266584[/snapback]

It is. The physical addiction to nicotine is gone relatively quick, it's the mental part that keeps people going back. This is how my doctor described it to me: "Nicotine goes immediately to the pleasure receptor of the brain. When you have Welbutrin in your system there is no place for the nicotine to go because it's(Welbutrin) already there, breaking the mental addiction." That being said, I have no idea why one doesn't get addicted to Welbutrin. :D

edit: you only take Welbutrin for 6 months, you're on your own after that.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

It is.  The physical addiction to nicotine is gone relatively quick, it's the mental part that keeps people going back.  This is how my doctor described it to me:  "Nicotine goes immediately to the pleasure receptor of the brain.  When you have Welbutrin in your system there is no place for the nicotine to go because it's(Welbutrin) already there, breaking the mental addiction."  That being said, I have no idea why one doesn't get addicted to Welbutrin. :D

1266646[/snapback]

I would agree with this because I was a "social" smoker for the last 10 yrs, only when I drank and NEVER when I didn't drink. But if I was drinking I really wanted a cigarette. I just stopped 2 weeks ago and it's been goin great, that's not to say I haven't wanted a cigarette when I drank but I haven't had one and I think I am just about done wanting them :D

Edited by ChuckB

I smoked 2 packs a day for 10+ years and about 1.5 years ago i woke up one morning and decided i'd quit, i never had tried to before. It was very easy to do and to all those that told me how hard it'd be , i just say they have no will power.

Congrats! I feel great and luckily i didn't do any lung damage.

It is.  The physical addiction to nicotine is gone relatively quick, it's the mental part that keeps people going back.  This is how my doctor described it to me:  "Nicotine goes immediately to the pleasure receptor of the brain.  When you have Welbutrin in your system there is no place for the nicotine to go because it's(Welbutrin) already there, breaking the mental addiction."  That being said, I have no idea why one doesn't get addicted to Welbutrin. :D

1266646[/snapback]

Thanks ...this is very good info :D

I smoked 2 packs a day for 10+ years and about 1.5 years ago i woke up one morning and decided i'd quit, i never had tried to before. It was very easy to do and to all those that told me how hard it'd be , i just say they have no will power.

Congrats!  I feel great and luckily i didn't do any lung damage.

1266930[/snapback]

Sorry, but this is a pretty ignorant thing to say. Just because it was this way for YOU, doesn't mean it's this way for everyone. You are far and away the exception to the rule in this and you have to know that. Consider yourself lucky and don't throw it up in others' faces.

Congrats, Suny! :D

Sorry, but this is a pretty ignorant thing to say. Just because it was this way for YOU, doesn't mean it's this way for everyone. You are far and away the exception to the rule in this and you have to know that. Consider yourself lucky and don't throw it up in others' faces.

Congrats, Suny! :D

1267012[/snapback]

What's ignorant about this statement? Are you suggesting quitting smoking isn't ALL will power? If it's something else like chemical dependecy then are you suggesting my anatomy is different from other. Of course not, it's about WANTING to quit and DOIN IT (PERIOD)!

I'm not knocking anyone that smokes or wants to quit , just citing the obvious. GEESH!!

Most successful quitters are like myself.........cold turkey and that's ALL MENTAL

Edited by theeohiostate

What's ignorant about this statement? Are you suggesting quitting smoking isn't ALL will power? If it's something else like chemical dependecy then are you suggesting my anatomy is different from other.  Of course not, it's about WANTING to quit and DOIN IT (PERIOD)!

I'm not knocking anyone that smokes or wants to quit , just citing the obvious. GEESH!!

Most successful quitters are like myself.........cold turkey and that's ALL MENTAL

1267073[/snapback]

You are my personal hero. If everyone was like you, the world would be perfect.