Sign in to follow this  
sunysteelfly76

One year ago today...

...I smoked my last cigarette. :D I smoked for over 20 years. For anyone looking to quit, Welbutrin gets my emdorsement. :D

There was a thread about this (quitting) around this time last year. How are all the other "quitters" doing?

edit: maybe this will be some good karma for the Steelets today.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

Congrats! As a 20 plus year smoker myself I know what a monuemental task quitting can be. How much better do you feel without that crap in your lungs?

How much better do you feel without that crap in your lungs?

1266465[/snapback]

Incredible. It's nice not to get winded walking up and down the stairs in my house.

excellent!

you have significantly decreased your chance of cancer, stroke, and heart disease.

if i can ask , how did wellbutrin help ?? ..i thought that was an antidepressant ...I quit for 4 years and went back :D:D

Then i quite for a few months last summer and went back :D:D

Now i think it is time to quite for good ...

if i can ask , how did wellbutrin help ?? ..i thought that was an antidepressant ...

1266584[/snapback]

It is. The physical addiction to nicotine is gone relatively quick, it's the mental part that keeps people going back. This is how my doctor described it to me: "Nicotine goes immediately to the pleasure receptor of the brain. When you have Welbutrin in your system there is no place for the nicotine to go because it's(Welbutrin) already there, breaking the mental addiction." That being said, I have no idea why one doesn't get addicted to Welbutrin. :D

edit: you only take Welbutrin for 6 months, you're on your own after that.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

It is.  The physical addiction to nicotine is gone relatively quick, it's the mental part that keeps people going back.  This is how my doctor described it to me:  "Nicotine goes immediately to the pleasure receptor of the brain.  When you have Welbutrin in your system there is no place for the nicotine to go because it's(Welbutrin) already there, breaking the mental addiction."  That being said, I have no idea why one doesn't get addicted to Welbutrin. :D

1266646[/snapback]

I would agree with this because I was a "social" smoker for the last 10 yrs, only when I drank and NEVER when I didn't drink. But if I was drinking I really wanted a cigarette. I just stopped 2 weeks ago and it's been goin great, that's not to say I haven't wanted a cigarette when I drank but I haven't had one and I think I am just about done wanting them :D

Edited by ChuckB

ggod stuff!

Congrats!

Keep your eye peeled for relapse though. It's easier than you think.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 10+ years and about 1.5 years ago i woke up one morning and decided i'd quit, i never had tried to before. It was very easy to do and to all those that told me how hard it'd be , i just say they have no will power.

Congrats! I feel great and luckily i didn't do any lung damage.

It is.  The physical addiction to nicotine is gone relatively quick, it's the mental part that keeps people going back.  This is how my doctor described it to me:  "Nicotine goes immediately to the pleasure receptor of the brain.  When you have Welbutrin in your system there is no place for the nicotine to go because it's(Welbutrin) already there, breaking the mental addiction."  That being said, I have no idea why one doesn't get addicted to Welbutrin. :D

1266646[/snapback]

Thanks ...this is very good info :D

I smoked 2 packs a day for 10+ years and about 1.5 years ago i woke up one morning and decided i'd quit, i never had tried to before. It was very easy to do and to all those that told me how hard it'd be , i just say they have no will power.

Congrats!  I feel great and luckily i didn't do any lung damage.

1266930[/snapback]

Sorry, but this is a pretty ignorant thing to say. Just because it was this way for YOU, doesn't mean it's this way for everyone. You are far and away the exception to the rule in this and you have to know that. Consider yourself lucky and don't throw it up in others' faces.

Congrats, Suny! :D

congrats

its been about 2yrs 5months for me(cold turkey)

congrats

its been about 2yrs 5months for me(cold turkey)

1267026[/snapback]

It's been 3.5 years for me. Cold Turkey as well.

Best thing I ever did... well, except for this whole baby thing.

Sorry, but this is a pretty ignorant thing to say. Just because it was this way for YOU, doesn't mean it's this way for everyone. You are far and away the exception to the rule in this and you have to know that. Consider yourself lucky and don't throw it up in others' faces.

Congrats, Suny! :D

1267012[/snapback]

What's ignorant about this statement? Are you suggesting quitting smoking isn't ALL will power? If it's something else like chemical dependecy then are you suggesting my anatomy is different from other. Of course not, it's about WANTING to quit and DOIN IT (PERIOD)!

I'm not knocking anyone that smokes or wants to quit , just citing the obvious. GEESH!!

Most successful quitters are like myself.........cold turkey and that's ALL MENTAL

Edited by theeohiostate

What's ignorant about this statement? Are you suggesting quitting smoking isn't ALL will power? If it's something else like chemical dependecy then are you suggesting my anatomy is different from other.  Of course not, it's about WANTING to quit and DOIN IT (PERIOD)!

I'm not knocking anyone that smokes or wants to quit , just citing the obvious. GEESH!!

Most successful quitters are like myself.........cold turkey and that's ALL MENTAL

1267073[/snapback]

You are my personal hero. If everyone was like you, the world would be perfect.