[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Folding Big Slick

Grits and Shins

In the 2nd poker game last night we are playing 4 handed, $50 min bet, no-limit

I'm dealt A-K off suit and am either the chip leader or 2nd in chips (can't recall which). As I recall I was in the big blind.

Player on my left (Big Country) bets $350 pre-flop, fold, player goes all in (~900). I have in the neighborhood of $1400 in chips and there is about $1300 in the pot, something like $900 to call and Big Country still has to call or fold ... as I recall.

What do you do?

Edited by Grits and Shins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 2nd poker game last night we are playing 4 handed, $50 min bet, no-limit

I'm dealt A-K off suit and am either the chip leader or 2nd in chips (can't recall which).  As I recall I was in the big blind.

Player on my left (Big Country) goes all in, another player folds and another player calls before my turn to act.  I have in the neighborhood of $1400 in chips and there is about $1000 in the pot, something like $500 to call ... as I recall.

What do you do?

1267733[/snapback]

Hard for me to fold A-K pre-flop. I call and put the best hand at a lower pair thus going to the coin flip.

I believe the situation was more like I raised preflop to about 350, player folds, next player pushed all-in for about 800 total and you folded, then I called that guys all-in.

Can't recall exactly how it went down, I just know I had aces.

1267825[/snapback]

Could be ... I can't recall exactly either ... but recalled that I had A-K and you and American Airlines and the player that went all in wasn't able to crack your aces (as I would not have been able to).

It was pretty hard to fold the A-K but I figured I let one of you bust the other out instead of moving all my chips in and hoping to hit an Ace or King in an attempt to top one of the high pairs you both had (obviously I couldn't have cracked your aces and it would have been dominated).

Edited by Grits and Shins

Depending on the situation and position. Facing a raise and re-raise, it's easier to fold. Remember (even suited A-K), against pocket deuces, you are still a slight underdog. Unless the situation dictates otherwise, I don't like putting the last of my money in on a coin flip when I still have lots to play with. Folding A-K in a bad position is becoming easier and easier as I see how many times hands are lost with 'em.

Depending on the situation and position.  Facing a raise and re-raise, it's easier to fold.  Remember (even suited A-K), against pocket deuces, you are still a slight underdog.  Unless the situation dictates otherwise, I don't like putting the last of my money in on a coin flip when I still have lots to play with.  Folding A-K in a bad position is becoming easier and easier as I see how many times hands are lost with 'em.

1267953[/snapback]

Good info here. :D

Depending on the situation and position.  Facing a raise and re-raise, it's easier to fold.  Remember (even suited A-K), against pocket deuces, you are still a slight underdog.  Unless the situation dictates otherwise, I don't like putting the last of my money in on a coin flip when I still have lots to play with.  Folding A-K in a bad position is becoming easier and easier as I see how many times hands are lost with 'em.

1267953[/snapback]

I agree with tim's assessment here. With that much action in front of you, the best you can hope for is being in a coin toss situation with an under-pair. Of course, BC could have been holding anything UTG but in early position you have to give him credit for a decent hand at worst. After a sizeable raise by BC, the next player went over the top of BC for all of his chips. Now you know he has to have a hand, probably a pair. Looking at a raise and a re-raise all in, it becomes easy for you to get out of the way and let BC try to knock him out heads up. Good lay down on your part in that situation, imo.

I agree with tim's assessment here.  With that much action in front of you, the best you can hope for is being in a coin toss situation with an under-pair.  Of course, BC could have been holding anything UTG but in early position you have to give him credit for a decent hand at worst.  After a sizeable raise by BC, the next player went over the top of BC for all of his chips.  Now you know he has to have a hand, probably a pair.  Looking at a raise and a re-raise all in, it becomes easy for you to get out of the way and let BC try to knock him out heads up.  Good lay down on your part in that situation, imo.

1268662[/snapback]

Good Advice Here

AK is still just Ace high and is behind any pocket pair.

One of hardest things is learning to lay down AK.

Edited by Zooty

A tougher question for me is when to lay down Big Chick(AQ).  And to a lesser extent AJ.

1270986[/snapback]

Play them just like you would play A-9 or A-6 or a small pair.

I may call a single raise in late position or raise with them in early position but I'm laying them down to a re-raise or multiple raises.

Play them just like you would play A-9 or A-6 or a small pair.

I may call a single raise in late position or raise with them in early position but I'm laying them down to a re-raise or multiple raises.

1271124[/snapback]

No way. The difference between AQ and even AJ and a hand like A9 or A6 is significant. With AQ or AJ, you have straight draws. If the flop comes, for example, Q 7 2, you have top pair with top kicker. On the other hand, with a hand like A9, and a flop of 9 7 2... sure, you have top pair and top kicker, but you will lose to more hands.

Personally (depending on position of course), I don't play Ax unless the "x" is a 10 or higher (or suited).

Edited by darin3

I agree with tim's assessment here.  With that much action in front of you, the best you can hope for is being in a coin toss situation with an under-pair.

1268662[/snapback]

no that's really the WORST you can hope for. it's obviously a longshot to be facing aces or kings. the best you can hope for is you're up against AQ, AJ, KQ or somesuch.

should you call a decent-sized raise and re-raise with AK? depends if you wanna gamble. but it's certainly not a BAD gamble if you do.

I agree that A-K is overated. But this is a four player game.

In a shorthanded game, higher cards are worth more. A-K in a four handed game is a hugh hand.

4 handed you can bet or raise with any hand. How some of you guys declare so confidently that BC or that other guy had a pair is beyond me.

Taking this hand in isolation, not knowing the players, I don't see how you get away from A-K. I push em all in.

A tougher question for me is when to lay down Big Chick(AQ).  And to a lesser extent AJ.

1270986[/snapback]

Do you keep a notebook when you play?

Keep track of how much you win or lose with those hands.

I'd bet that you'd find that over the long run, you lose with those hands.

Do you keep a notebook when you play?

Keep track of how much you win or lose with those hands.

I'd bet that you'd find that over the long run, you lose with those hands.

1272531[/snapback]

Interesting ... never played w/ a notebook.

Anyone ever play w/ a notebook at a live cash game / tourney?

Interesting ... never played w/ a notebook.

Anyone ever play w/ a notebook at a live cash game / tourney?

1272541[/snapback]

Sure.

I'm not into keeping statistics like some are. I like to jot things down, like mistakes, good plays, epiphanies. You know like "why did I back that short-stacked guy into a corner with my bluff." Anything to reinforce a lesson.

In a big tournament, it may be useful to take notes on particular players. It really pisses some people off if you jot something down in your notebook as they bet or raise. :D

I agree that A-K is overated.  But this is a four player game.

In a shorthanded game, higher cards are worth more.  A-K in a four handed game is a hugh hand.

4 handed you can bet or raise with any hand.  How some of you guys declare so confidently that BC or that other guy had a pair is beyond me.

Taking this hand in isolation, not knowing the players, I don't see how you get away from A-K.  I push em all in.

1272518[/snapback]

I assumed we were talking about a full table. But even in a short handed game, in a tournament, I definitely fold there and let BC knock out the other guy. Cash game, different story. Again, lots of other factors to consider too..