[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 months salary?!?

Azazello1313

someone just told me there's a "general rule of thumb" when it comes to purchasing an engagement ring. the cost should be equal to about two months of your salary.

i'm sorry, that is just stupid. that's more like a rule for buying a new car or some shucks. furthermore, i don't believe it IS a rule of thumb, i believe it's what a bunch of moran jewelers WISH was the rule of thumb.

or maybe i'm wrong. :D any huddlers fork out that much dough for an engagement ring?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

someone just told me there's a "general rule of thumb" when it comes to purchasing an engagement ring.  the cost should be equal to about two months of your salary. 

i'm sorry, that is just stupid.  that's more like a rule for buying a new car or some shucks.  furthermore, i don't believe it IS a rule of thumb, i believe it's what a bunch of moran jewelers WISH was the rule of thumb. 

or maybe i'm wrong.  :D  any huddlers fork out that much dough for an engagement ring?

1269698[/snapback]

Yeah, but I made squat at that point in time.

A good general rule is buy what you can afford without starting your marriage in debt for a bauble, imo.

Probably depends on 2 things quite heavily: What can you afford and what does your girlfriend expect?

1269710[/snapback]

ding, ding, we have winner

or you could be like me, aweful at picking out gifts, and let her pick it out...and actually she did go with around the 2 month mark. id go with higher quality if you can afford it...they really do look much better than the lower qual ones when they are comparedd next to each other.

i spent more like two weeks' salary and thought it was a pretty darn nice little ring.  :D

1269732[/snapback]

I think I spent a little less. My wife picked out her own ring and I think it is just fine. It's not going to stop traffic but it serves its purpose and that is all that really matters, IMO. Now if you travel in high society’s circles you may want to mortgage your house but that’s not me.

That's the going rate, sorry.

1269702[/snapback]

That going rate....was established by The Diamond Trading Company. Sort of like asking a car dealer what HE/SHE thinks you should spend on a car....don't you think? :D

Just educate yourself on the particulars. Then compare some individual stones. If you think it's worth it to move down in grade and color for a larger stone...then you have your answer. Personally.....anyone spending that kind of money on a ring for me is crazy.....LOL. I'd be afraid to wear the thing if it were a 5-10K price.

Do your research. Obviously....bigger isn't always better.....LOL. And the price range for the same sized stone is astronomical.

i spent more like two weeks' salary and thought it was a pretty darn nice little ring.  :D

1269732[/snapback]

I agree, I spent about the same. Remember it's not always quantity with diamonds, it's quality!!!

In fact, it is now for sale if your interested!!

One thing my jewler told me is that stay just below each mark.  1 carat, 1.5 carat 2 carat.  I got the Mrs a .9 carat main stone and .5 of little stones around it.  Saved me a bunch.

1269773[/snapback]

Exactly.....in the jewelry world....you pay a premium for "exact sizing".

IF you are in the market to buy a diamond ring i suggest you ck this forum out...

pricescope.com

i got a ton of help and info there and was able to purchase my diamond from an online vendor(solomon bros) and had is appraised...the diamond would have cost me more then 2 months salary to buy it from a store and it appraised WELL above what i paid for it

That going rate....was established by The Diamond Trading Company.  Sort of like asking a car dealer what HE/SHE thinks you should spend on a car....don't you think? :D

Just educate yourself on the particulars.  Then compare some individual stones.  If you think it's worth it to move down in grade and color for a larger stone...then you have your answer.  Personally.....anyone spending that kind of money on a ring for me is crazy.....LOL.  I'd be afraid to wear the thing if it were a 5-10K price.

Do your research.  Obviously....bigger isn't always better.....LOL.  And the price range for the same sized stone is astronomical.

1269762[/snapback]

good info here.

I got my wife's engagement ring from a diamond broker, not a jeweler. It makes a big difference in the cost. The rock I got her cost me about $3,000 9 years ago. It will apraise at around $8,000.

The actual wedding band only cost me about $1,500 as did her annaversary band.

Luckily I have a buddy that is a diamond broker, that sales to all the local jewelers.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

My wife and i were together for a while and we both knew we were getting married. Instead of buying her an expensive engagement ring, we both decided to use that money towards a house.

We exchanged nice gold bands at our wedding, then two years later i bought her a 1.75ct natural sapphire with diamonds in a platinum setting.

I guess it depends on how strong your relationship is. If you guys know your going to get hitched, think smart. If your surprising her, then i would get what you can afford but remember, quality is more important than size when it comes to diamonds.

You can always do what I did. Make her go find the rock she wants, take out a loan, get married, then quit your job and make her pay for it. :D