[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 months salary?!?

Azazello1313

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway, she did say yes a couple weeks ago when i popped the question (despite the paltry half-carat stone), so there'll be a mrs. zello here before too long.  :D

1269953[/snapback]

Congrats!!!! :D But don't show her the Huddle! If she reads some of your posts, she'll run to the hills and pawn the ring! :D

someone just told me there's a "general rule of thumb" when it comes to purchasing an engagement ring.  the cost should be equal to about two months of your salary. 

i'm sorry, that is just stupid.  that's more like a rule for buying a new car or some shucks.  furthermore, i don't believe it IS a rule of thumb, i believe it's what a bunch of moran jewelers WISH was the rule of thumb. 

1269698[/snapback]

Crap. Not possible. Definitely one of those things made up by vested interests, just like restaurant tips have risen steadily, driven by waitresses. :D

anyway, she did say yes a couple weeks ago when i popped the question (despite the paltry half-carat stone), so there'll be a mrs. zello here before too long.  :D

1269953[/snapback]

Was she conscious at the time?

Congrats!

1269953[/snapback]

Congrats and best wishes Az. I got my wife a 1/2 carat diamond 20 years ago. She still loves it. And back then, at the whopping $6.35 an hour I made, that probably was 2 months salary! :D

That going rate....was established by The Diamond Trading Company.  Sort of like asking a car dealer what HE/SHE thinks you should spend on a car....don't you think? :D

Just educate yourself on the particulars.  Then compare some individual stones.  If you think it's worth it to move down in grade and color for a larger stone...then you have your answer.  Personally.....anyone spending that kind of money on a ring for me is crazy.....LOL.  I'd be afraid to wear the thing if it were a 5-10K price.

Do your research.  Obviously....bigger isn't always better.....LOL.  And the price range for the same sized stone is astronomical.

1269762[/snapback]

Good info here... I was an Asst. Manager at one of national retail jewelers in the early '90s. We were trained to tell customers that. Didn't follow their line of thinking when I got engaged.

A lot of people get stuck on wanting a carat or 2 carat ring. Just remember that the carat just represents the weight of the diamond. So some 1 carat diamonds look different than others. (ie, A 6'5" 160 man looks a lot different than a 5'6" 160lb man. ) The other thing, if you get multiple diamonds on the ring, they will typically say TDW or total Diamond Weight.

Edited by TripleW64

pfffftttttttt 2 months salary??? If your girl needs that much of a ring..... RUNNNN!!! The purpose of the ring is to show the guy is serious about getting married. If she needs that much assurance, something is wrong with the relationship.......and it is all about the engagement and the wedding, not the marriage. Some women are like that...

I didnt get a diamond ring until our 1st anniversary, when we could finally afford it...a mutual decision as we knew how spending that much money on a ring before we got married, would seriously affect our living expenses. We set a wedding date almost immediately ....cant get any more assurance than that. And the ring was a quality 1/2 carrot and is absolutely beautiful! I havent removed it since he put it on my finger either......and never will. I consider myself very lucky.

Az, you sure you want to go through with this? my divorce cost me about 2 yrs salary so far. Go with what your heart tells you, but I would've taken her with me window shopping well before just to get a feel what she might expect or want

Az, you sure you want to go through with this? my divorce cost me about 2 yrs salary so far. Go with what your heart tells you, but I would've taken her with me window shopping well before just to get a feel what she might expect or want

1271627[/snapback]

the deed is DONE, my man. and if i was insecure about what kind of ring she would expect or want, i wouldn't have bought ANY ring at all.

Congrats Az! I guess I can now forgive you completely for not coming up to see me in Denver. :oldrazz:

Deed is already done.... but if you had asked before you bought it I would have said to take her along and let her pick it out. She was very happy and it worked for me.

pfffftttttttt  2 months salary???  If your girl needs that much of a ring..... RUNNNN!!!  The purpose of the ring is to show the guy is serious about getting married.  If she needs that much assurance, something is wrong with the relationship.......and it is all about the engagement and the wedding, not the marriage.  Some women are like that...

1271609[/snapback]

:D:D:D

someone just told me there's a "general rule of thumb" when it comes to purchasing an engagement ring.  the cost should be equal to about two months of your salary. 

i'm sorry, that is just stupid.  that's more like a rule for buying a new car or some shucks.  furthermore, i don't believe it IS a rule of thumb, i believe it's what a bunch of moran jewelers WISH was the rule of thumb. 

or maybe i'm wrong.  :D  any huddlers fork out that much dough for an engagement ring?

1269698[/snapback]

I didn't get an engagement ring, as there is nothing that pisses me off more than the jewelry/diamond industry, and I don't like what these rings have become as a benchmark (how mahy carats? how much did he spend?)

I however love my wedding band, because it symbolizes my commitment to my wife.

they are also handmade by a local artisan and a close friend (actually ex-girlfriend, but that's another story :D ) which makes it much nicer IMHO.