[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick Time question

Mark5

It is a proprietary video player from apple. I say it is spyware simply becuase it requires itself to be run as a service all the time.

It is ultimately harmless, but the folks at apple have to make their schit super simple for the taarrds who choose to use that platform.

Removing it won't hurt anything. Leaving it there won't 'really' hurt anything.

Can I delete this and all its components? I know some things are set up to only run by using quicktime. I just noticed I have the icon on my tray and I'm sure it wasnt there last week. Mydaughter gets on here so she may have D/L it.

1270266[/snapback]

Right click on the tray icon, and select QuickTime Preferences.

Select "Browser Plugin" from the drop down menu.

Uncheck "Quick Time system tray icon".

Close out the window and you should be all set.

You'll probably also want to delete it from your Quick Launch to the right of the start button if you haven't already. Just right click on it and choose "delete".

It still starts in the registry as a hidden service.

1270657[/snapback]

True. If you want to completely uninstall it, go to Add/Remove programs.

But... like H8 said earlier... it's not actually malicious or anything. Unless your computer is really borderline on the WinXP specs, the service shouldn't affect your performance at all.

it's not actually malicious or anything. Unless your computer is really borderline on the WinXP specs, the service shouldn't affect your performance at all.

Correct. And there are quicktime codecs that can be installed for free to allow the viewing of quicktime content without have to have quicktime installed.