[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broken ribs

Deacon Bill

Slipped on some icy steps Saturday and landed full force on my back. :D Thought for sure I broke my back. After the stars cleared from my head, I was able to get up and drive home. Hobbled around Sunday, as the pain seemed bearable. I was off Monday for MLK day and the pain kept increasing. Finally went in to see the Doc Monday afternoon, and he told me (after x-rays) that my 2 floating ribs are cracked. He then told me there isn't a dang thing they can do for cracked ribs. You just gotta' suck it up. I actually went to bed last night thinking I'd be able to go to work this a.m., and just take it easy. Woke up at 1 a.m. and been awake ever since. Can't even stand up straight. So why am I whining to my Huddle pals? Well, out of sheer desparation, I was hoping maybe someone out there might have some helpful tip on ANYTHING that might help. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Is 7 a.m. too early to pour Crown Royal in my coffee with a couple of percocets? :D

Bro, you are screwed. I broke a couple ribs once. There is nothing they can do for you except let time heal them. I remember having to sneeze and about dying. Sorry, but you are going to be hurting for a good while...

Bro, you are screwed.  I broke a couple ribs once.  There is nothing they can do for you except let time heal them.  I remember having to sneeze and about dying.  Sorry, but you are going to be hurting for a good while...

1270825[/snapback]

Yep just got to bite the bullet.

Breathing is the worst part.

Slipped on some icy steps Saturday and landed full force on my back.  :D  Thought for sure I broke my back. After the stars cleared from my head, I was able to get up and drive home. Hobbled around Sunday, as the pain seemed bearable. I was off Monday for MLK day and the pain kept increasing. Finally went in to see the Doc Monday afternoon, and he told me (after x-rays) that my 2 floating ribs are cracked. He then told me there isn't a dang thing they can do for cracked ribs. You just gotta' suck it up. I actually went to bed last night thinking I'd be able to go to work this a.m., and just take it easy. Woke up at 1 a.m. and been awake ever since. Can't even stand up straight. So why am I whining to my Huddle pals? Well, out of sheer desparation, I was hoping maybe someone out there might have some helpful tip on ANYTHING that might help. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Is 7 a.m. too early to pour Crown Royal in my coffee with a couple of percocets?  :D

1270818[/snapback]

Had 2 broken ribs myself last year . It was a girlie! Worst part was it happened falling out of bed :D . Maybe thats the best part :D ! Either way it hurt for quite a while!

Edit to add the filtering in this forum is really getting out of hand! However Girlie was involved in the breaking of the ribs so I guess it's appropriate.

Edited by tbimm

I cracked 9 ribs a year ago today in a nasty head on collision. Not much you can do about the pain, but you will never call any of your fantasy players whimps again for not playing with rib injuries!

Most of the pain went away in about 2 months. Just rememeber to keep taking deep breaths so fluid doesn't collect in your lungs.

Good Luck!

I never broke ribs, but at least twice I screwed up the cartilage (separated?). The only thing that helped was an elastic belt around my mid section. It gave a little support, but truly helped. Check it out if you have a medical supply store near you.

My doc said they couldn't tape it, like in the old days, because it caused to many cases of pneumonia! :D

I never broke ribs, but at least twice I screwed up the cartilage (separated?).  The only thing that helped was an elastic belt around my mid section.  It gave a little support, but truly helped.  Check it out if you have a medical supply store near you. 

My doc said they couldn't tape it, like in the old days, because it caused to many cases of pneumonia! :D

1271211[/snapback]

Yea, I ended up with pluersy (sp) when I broke mine.

I never broke ribs, but at least twice I screwed up the cartilage (separated?).  The only thing that helped was an elastic belt around my mid section.  It gave a little support, but truly helped.  Check it out if you have a medical supply store near you. 

1271211[/snapback]

I had the same thing happen. I knew something was wrong when I couldn't breath as well and there was a slight clicking sound whenever I tried to lift weights. Pretty painful but you just have to tough it out.

1271211[/snapback]

Thanks RR. You always give good advice. I'll check it out. Can't I just take old Crown Royal bags and fashion some sort of belt? :D Thanks to the rest of you too for your comments.