[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deacon Bill and Holy Roller

spain

Why do I keep mixing up this 2 guys? Are their avatars similar? I keep thinking they are the same person. Would you guys do us a favor and tell us a little about yourselves so I can seperate you in my mind. Thanks.

While I'm not a holy roller, I am a deacon in the Catholic Church. The reason I have the laughing Jesus avatar is because I have so many skeletons in my closet that surely Jesus is laughing at the thought of me being an ordained deacon. But because of my checkered past (primarily drug use) it has allowed me to work with others who struggle with drug addiction. And I do a lot of outreach work for the poor in our community.

Now before you think I'm just all full of myself for helping others, I'll be the 1st one to tell you that I still struggle every day with past temptations, especially strip clubs, drugs, theft, oh, and strip clubs. (Man I miss strippers). And I am no paragon of virtue, and you will rarely see me jam my beliefs down anyone's throats here in the Huddle...or anywhere else for that matter. The Catholic Church has made itself a target of criticism through the actions (or inaction) of the people that have abused it. I have no problem with honest criticism. But when people spew nonsense about the Church, out of ignorance and/or vindictiveness, well then yes; I will chime in.

I was married for 5 years and got divorced. I've now been married for 20 years to a saint of woman who put up with my crap for way too long. I have 7 children, 3 grandchildren, with one more due in March. My parents died when I was young, and my in-laws died within the past 3 years, and not a day goes by that I don't miss them. My brother committed suicide (gunshot) when I was 20 (I'm 47 now).

I work for the City of Sandusky as a working supervisor in the Construction Maintenance dept. I love anything hot and spicy, especially with copious amounts of El Yucateo habanero sauce. Okay TMI. I've rambled on enough.

While I'm not a holy roller, I am a deacon in the Catholic Church. The reason I have the laughing Jesus avatar is because I have so many skeletons in my closet that surely Jesus is laughing at the thought of me being an ordained deacon. But because of my checkered past (primarily drug use) it has allowed me to work with others who struggle with drug addiction. And I do a lot of outreach work for the poor in our community.

Now before you think I'm just all full of myself for helping others, I'll be the 1st one to tell you that I still struggle every day with past temptations, especially strip clubs, drugs, theft, oh, and strip clubs. (Man I miss strippers). And I am no paragon of virtue, and you will rarely see me jam my beliefs down anyone's throats here in the Huddle...or anywhere else for that matter. The Catholic Church has made itself a target of criticism through the actions (or inaction) of the people that have abused it. I have no problem with honest criticism. But when people spew nonsense about the Church, out of ignorance and/or vindictiveness, well then yes; I will chime in.

I was married for 5 years and got divorced. I've now been married for 20 years to a saint of woman who put up with my crap for way too long. I have 7 children, 3 grandchildren, with one more due in March. My parents died when I was young, and my in-laws died within the past 3 years, and not a day goes by that I don't miss them. My brother committed suicide (gunshot) when I was 20 (I'm 47 now).

I work for the City of Sandusky as a working supervisor in the Construction Maintenance dept. I love anything hot and spicy, especially with copious amounts of El Yucateo habanero sauce. Okay TMI. I've rambled on enough.

1271009[/snapback]

:D:D:D

I'm a lover...not a fighter. If he wants to do a habenero eating match...count me in.

1271016[/snapback]

Have you ever been to Cedar Point, I hear it's in the area. :old razz:

Like you've never heard that one before.

Actually going to one of the hotel water parks in the coming weeks / months so I'll be in the area, hopefully there won't be too much construction on 250 :D

Have you ever been to Cedar Point, I hear it's in the area.  :old razz: 

Like you've never heard that one before.

Actually going to one of the hotel water parks in the coming weeks / months so I'll be in the area, hopefully there won't be too much construction on 250 :D

1271062[/snapback]

250's all clear. Kalahari waterpark is great, and Castaway bay's not too shabby either. There's a Great Wolf Lodge too (water slides), though I've never been there.

While I'm not a holy roller, I am a deacon in the Catholic Church.

I was married for 5 years and got divorced. I've now been married for 20 years to a saint of woman who put up with my crap for way too long.

1271009[/snapback]

how'd you manage to swing that one? i always thought divorcees weren't welcome in the church, can't receive communion etc., let alone as deacons.

how'd you manage to swing that one?  i always thought divorcees weren't welcome in the church, can't receive communion etc., let alone as deacons.

1271076[/snapback]

The first one would have had to be annuled by the church.

Either his first marriage wasn't in the church or it was anulled.

1271092[/snapback]

see, chit like that is why the reformation happened. some people can have their past erased from memory, but others who spend their whole lives in the church are outcast for the same exact thing. all based on technicalities and the dictum of the human authorities.

deacon bill i'm curious, how do you feel about other divorcees being kept out of the church while you are welcomed?

Edited by Azazello1313

see, chit like that is why the reformation happened.  some people can have their past erased from memory, but others who spend their whole lives in the church are outcast for the same exact thing.  all based on technicalities and the dictum of the human authorities. 

deacon bill i'm curious, how do you feel about other divorcees being kept out of the church while you are welcomed?

1271155[/snapback]

What divorcees are kept out of the church? Anyone who has been divorced can have their marriage annulled, it all a matter of going throught the proper procedure to get it done. I personally have never heard of anyone being told they couldn't attend Mass because of a divorce. Now receiving Sacraments yes, but general attendance, no. :D

how'd you manage to swing that one?  i always thought divorcees weren't welcome in the church, can't receive communion etc., let alone as deacons.

1271076[/snapback]

At one time, divorcees were looked down upon. It's still true to a much lesser extent. And there's plenty of old school priests and deacons that made my life hell. I went through a long annullment process Az. It was a long and gut wrenching process. But it also allowed me to see how and why my marriage failed. And becoming a deacon was no cake walk. I had 8 years of hoops to jump through (psych testing, seeing a diocesan psychologist, counselling, etc.) before they allowed it. I was a little too honest about my past. I almost walked away from it many times. But you can't affect a change unless you are willing to fight the good fight. So, in the end it was all worth it. It made me stronger. And even the most difficult personalities I've encountered since ordination, have been nothing compared the knuckleheads I dealt with during those previous 8 years. You know, the priest and deacon dudes. But I'm not a deacon for them Az. I serve the people they look down their noses at.

see, chit like that is why the reformation happened.  some people can have their past erased from memory, but others who spend their whole lives in the church are outcast for the same exact thing.  all based on technicalities and the dictum of the human authorities. 

1271155[/snapback]

I can't speak for other churches Az, but divorcees are still welcome in the Catholic church. But unless they go through the annullment process, they are not supposed to receive the sacraments. That rarely keeps people from doing it anyway, and personally I don't think God would refuse the sacraments to anyone. It's not my place to judge them.

As far as the Reformation goes...it had to happen. The Catholic church was rife with corruption, and Martin Luther was a devout and holy man. The Catholic church has since recognized him for that, and a new spirit of ecumenism exists between Lutherans and Catholics, as well as all faiths; Christian and non- Christian alike.

Agree on the annullment. My first marriage was annulled but my second marriage was not in the church thus not blessed. I'm not allowed to take the sacraments until I have my present marriage blessed.

1271178[/snapback]

You can have your present marriage sanated. It's called sanation. It's about 2 minutes of paperwork, and any priest or deacon can do it. I've done several of them, and it's no big sweat. Your other option is to get remarried in the Catholic church. I know it sounds like a lot of rules, but it's the same as having a license to drive a car. If you want to drive, you gotta' follow the rules. Best analogy I can give you on short notice.

At one time, divorcees were looked down upon. It's still true to a much lesser extent. And there's plenty of old school priests and deacons that made my life hell. I went through a long annullment process Az. It was a long and gut wrenching process. But it also allowed me to see how and why my marriage failed. And becoming a deacon was no cake walk. I had 8 years of hoops to jump through (psych testing, seeing a diocesan psychologist, counselling, etc.) before they allowed it. I was a little too honest about my past. I almost walked away from it many times. But you can't affect a change unless you are willing to fight the good fight. So, in the end it was all worth it. It made me stronger. And even the most difficult personalities I've encountered since ordination, have been nothing compared the knuckleheads I dealt with during those previous 8 years. You know, the priest and deacon dudes. But I'm not a deacon for them Az. I serve the people they look down their noses at.

1271224[/snapback]

so you support the church forcing others through those hoops? and if anyone can get an annulment, isn't it just a de facto divorce albeit longer and more drawn out? isnt it a little bit of a lie to essentially erase a marriage from history? and isn't that a little like people buying indulgences back in the reformation era? and does that keep with the spirit of the early church teachings about divorce and remarriage?

in case it's not clear, just let me say it's not you i'm finding fault with at all, saying you shouldnt be a deacon or whatever. quite the contrary. it's your church's doctrine on this point i'm finding fault with.

What divorcees are kept out of the church?  Anyone who has been divorced can have their marriage annulled, it all a matter of going throught the proper procedure to get it done.  I personally have never heard of anyone being told they couldn't attend Mass because of a divorce.  Now receiving Sacraments yes, but general attendance, no. :D

1271213[/snapback]

good info Zia :D

so you support the church forcing others through those hoops?  and if anyone can get an annulment, isn't it just a de facto divorce albeit longer and more drawn out?  isnt it a little bit of a lie to essentially erase a marriage from history?  and isn't that a little like people buying indulgences back in the reformation era?  and does that keep with the spirit of the early church teachings about divorce and remarriage? 

in case it's not clear, just let me say it's not you i'm finding fault with at all, saying you shouldnt be a deacon or whatever.  quite the contrary.  it's your church's doctrine on this point i'm finding fault with.

1271267[/snapback]

Most people think annullment is "erasing" a previous marriage (hence the "my kids must be bassturds argument" ensues). All an annullment really means is that there were certain criteria not present when the marriage occurred. Therefore it was not a sacramental marriage in the eyes of the church. The marriage did happen; it just wasn't sacramental. Those criteria I mentioned (there are 10), range from immaturity, deception, being forced into marriage etc. I question church doctrine all the time. To not do so is to become a robot. And please don't anyone think that I feel the Catholic church is the only way, or the best way. It's just the way I choose.

Most people think annullment is "erasing" a previous marriage (hence the "my kids must be bassturds argument" ensues). All an annullment really means is that there were certain criteria not present when the marriage occurred. Therefore it was not a sacramental marriage in the eyes of the church. The marriage did happen; it just wasn't sacramental. Those criteria I mentioned (there are 10), range from immaturity, deception, being forced into marriage etc. I question church doctrine all the time. To not do so is to become a robot. And please don't anyone think that I feel the Catholic church is the only way, or the best way. It's just the way I choose.

1271301[/snapback]

WOW! I've been a Catholic all my life and never heard the "not sacremental, but still was married" part. The bas-turd arguement was all I ever heard. It makes sense.

Good stuff here Deac! :D

WOW!  I've been a Catholic all my life and never heard the "not sacremental, but still was married" part. The bas-turd arguement was all I ever heard. It makes sense.

Good stuff here Deac!  :D

1271311[/snapback]

Thanx RR. Man, that fight with Holy Roller is starting to sound appealing! :D