[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A tribute to my pooch

aqualung

What a great dog......so sorry about your loss, Aqua. :D

You've got some great pics though.....the BBall one cracked me up! And the snowy nose is priceless. Mine used to watch....Dog Shows......LOL. :D

So special.....I can't add anything to what's already been said.

Except...(((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))))

Aqua,

My condolences. I had to put my 12 1/2 year old GSP down right before Christmas so know what you're going through. Just remember the good times and know she will always be in your heart.

As George "Bird Dog" Evans said, "It is the price we pay for a priceless experience."

Aqua. My heart goes out to you and the family. Im glad you still have her littermate yet im sure it pains you to see the littermate looking for the dog that passed. Someone sent us a great story about the passing of a pet. Ill try and get my wife to fax it to my office or ill post it when I get home. Hang in there paisan and I truly am sorry about your dog.

We all love our wives/husbands and kids more than anything, of course, but it still gets me every day to be greeted at the door when I get home by a dog with a wagging tail and a tennis ball in his mouth.

My favorite dog quote of all time:

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.

You are his life, his love, his leader.

He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

-- Unknown

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Aqua ... as I said in the other thread I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Our pets are as much a part of our family as we are and to lose one is to say the least painful. What's not to love about the always faithful dog that greets you at the door each and every time you come home with obvious glee and tail a wagging? I swore I was going to be a man about it ... but in the end I balled like a baby for almost a solid day when I had to put my 14 year old lab down several years ago. I hope and pray that I never have to put another dog down because I promise you, while hard, it is much easier to deal with finding your pet dead than it is to have it done.

Trust me he will always be a warm memory and the pain will fade with time.

As to replacing him. Clearly you can never replace him ... but you can get another dog and grow to love him. I would recommend that you do it now or in the near future. Why? Because it will be easier to deal with the loss of the other litter mate when his time comes if you have already grown attached to another animal.

When I put my lab down we thought we would wait until our 2nd passed as well. But circumstances changed and we ended up adopting a homeless Beagle. It worked out well and you might be surprised how your surviving dog reacts to a new dog. Remember your surviving dog has always had a companion.

Edited by Grits and Shins

And with his final, sleepy breath

he said farewell, my friend

I shall wake to lay beside the gates

and wait for you again

1272880[/snapback]

We had to put our Mini Schnauzer down this last Summer, which is one of the reasons we just got a new puppy. When you come to reply on that companionship, it's hard to go without once it's gone. I know how hard it can be, and I just feel for you brother.

To DMD: That quote is awesome. I'm going to copy that... who wrote it?

While we're all getting a little emotional about our canine friends, here's a page full of quotes about dogs.

A sample:

Dogs have given us their absolute all.  We are the center of their universe.  We are the focus of their love and faith and trust.  They serve us in return for scraps.  It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.  ~Roger Caras

Without doubt, this one below (not on the page I linked to) is my favorite all-time quote about dogs, from Jerome K Jerome, dog lover and author of Three Men In A Boat, a classically funny book about indolence.

He is very imprudent, a dog;  he never makes it his business to enquire whether you are in the right or in the wrong, never bothers as to whether you are going up or down on life's ladder, never asks whether you are rich or poor, silly or wise, sinner or saint.

You are his pal. That is enough for him, and come luck or misfortune, good repute or bad, honour or shame, he is going to stick to you, to comfort you, guard you, give his life for you if need be - foolish, brainless, soulless dog!

Jerome K. Jerome

Edited by Ursa Majoris

We had to put our Mini Schnauzer down this last Summer, which is one of the reasons we just got a new puppy.  When you come to reply on that companionship, it's hard to go without once it's gone.  I know how hard it can be, and I just feel for you brother.

To DMD:  That quote is awesome.  I'm going to copy that... who wrote it?

1273455[/snapback]

I wrote it and you may certainly copy it. I had a rottweiler for about 13 years that was just a great dog in so many ways. We finally had to put it to sleep when his hips went out and he could no longer walk and I wrote that as a "memorial" to him when I told family and friends that Ruger was no longer with us. I now have a picture of him with that quote on it and have his collar draped over it on my desk. I literally had to take a couple of days off of work after he was put to sleep - that may have been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life though it was the right thing to do.

Thanks guys and gals.

There are no words I can think of to descibe the people here.

This is a great community with great people that I am glad to be part.

You don't realize this until something personal happens to you or your family.

:D:D:D

So sorry to hear about that aqua. I have two dogs right now that are getting up there in years, and I know the time will come soon. One thing I always think about is this:

My dogs have taught me a lot of things. One is unconditional love. No matter how bad a day I have, they are always there with the same love and happiness to see me. They have taught me patience, because they require so much when teaching them how to be potty trained and how to not eat the furniture. They have taught me how to be kind, because I know I treat people better because I've had to learn how to treat them well. They have given me some building blocks to be a good father, because they have taught me how to raise them in a way that is gentle but firm. They have made me realize how important I am to them, because I am responsible for their needs and well being.

I know that I am better because of them, because they have given me WAY more than I have ever given them.

Peace brother.

Aqua here is the story I mentioned earlier that someone gave us when Emmitt died. Its called " The Rainbow Bridge"

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. Its called the rainbow bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of rainbow bridge there is a land of meadows , hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies , the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are whole again. They play with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches. The ears are up. The eyes are staring. And this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be seperated.

Aqua here is the story I mentioned earlier that someone gave us when Emmitt died. Its called " The Rainbow Bridge"

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. Its called the rainbow bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of rainbow bridge there is a land of meadows , hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies , the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are whole again. They play with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches. The ears are up. The eyes are staring. And this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be seperated.

1274608[/snapback]

That is great story that I will keep in my archives. :D

I will have a lot of furry faces great me once I cross that bridge. :D