[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cover Versions

Ursa Majoris

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I got completely flambeyed for this once before, and I am 100% sure it's gonna happen again... but I swear to you, Hanson, yes Hanson... did an extremely good version of Steppenwolf's 'Magic Carpet Ride'.  Really.  No, I do not own a Hanson CD.  No, I have never downloaded any of their songs.  I said "their" songs.  :D  I was flippin' my DirecTV around one night and stumbled upon Channel 100, which from time to time shows free concerts.  Hanson was on... playing THAT song, no I didn't sit and just happen to catch it.

:D x 193891835918351935

1274483[/snapback]

I own a Hanson CD. They have 3 or 4 decent pop tunes.

Thumbing through the stuff I've got, here's a few more good ones

I fought the law - The Clash (Crickets)

Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Beatles)

Summertime Blues - The Who (Eddie Cochran)

Police and Thieves - The Clash (Junior Murvin)

I may try to list more later, but the best cover of all time....kicking the hindquarter of the original is:

UB40 covering Neil Diamond's Red Red Wine

Hey Joe ---- Hendrix

Hey Joe: best known in Jimi Hendrix' version, and covered in a zillion ways. The way Dead Moon recorded it is based on the '66 version of LA based garage band The Leaves. Here’s the whole story of the Leaves version of “Hey Joe”, uncovered for the Dead Moon Digital Zone by Koen Goossens from Lebbeke in Belgium:

The Leaves first released the 7” single “Hey Joe, Where You Gonna Go” b/w “Be With You” in 1965 as a promo (Mira 207), produced by Nick Venet (known for his work with the Beach Boys). A re-recorded, shorter version produced by Norm Ratner was released with a different B-side in 1966; “Hey Joe, Where You Gonna Go” b/w “Girl From The East” (Mira 222). Both versions have Bill Rinehart as lead guitarist, and the guitar parts have no fuzz. Third time’s the charm: with the title brought back to the first two words, they record yet another version (again with producer Norm Ratner) that has the now well-known, way out signature bass line and the fuzz-guitar by Bobby Arlin, the new lead guitarist. It is this 7” (strangely enough also with catalog no. Mira 222!) “Hey Joe” b/w “Funny Little World” that has become the big hit record! All these versions can be found on the CD “The Leaves Are Happening”, released in 2000 by Sundazed (SC 11058). (Thanks Koen!)

What Koen did not mention is this: Arthur Lee claims that he played Hey Joe with his band Love in that up-tempo way, bass-line and all, long before The Leaves did. He says that when The Leaves wanted to play the song they asked Lee for the lyrics, and he misled them and gave them a different version than the original words, so the original lyrics are the ones found on the Love recording. Those were the days.

Although "Hey Joe" is considered "public domain" now, copyright-wise, the compositary credits should most probably go to folk singer William (Bobby) Roberts, although the Leaves credit the song to Chester Powers (an alias of Dino Valenti of the Quicksilver Messenger Service). You can also find one the Leaves' versions on the excellent compilation album "Nuggets: Original Artyfacts of the First Psychedelic Era, 1965 -1968", Elektra Records 7E-2006 (re-released by Sire Records, SASH 3716-2), not to be confused with the 'Nuggets'-releases of Rhino Records... though they ain't bad either...

Edited by whomper

I don't think this one has been mentioned yet (and suprised it hasn't), but when I think of great covers one song comes to mind: Jane's Addiction cover of Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones.

I've also been liking Supersucker's version of the Commodore's Sail On.

Edited by bushwacked

Dear Mr Fantasy dead cover traffic

Werewolves Of London dead cover zevon

Big River dead cover cash

I'm A Hog For You Baby dead cover the coasters

srv covering hendrix ( any)

Little Red Rooster dead cover holwin wolf

allman bros covers are great also

for a start

Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins (Stevie Nicks)

1274735[/snapback]

This reminded me of one:

Landslide - Dixie Chicks (Smashing Pumpkins - Stevie Nicks)

Probably my favorite:

Don't Be Cruel - Cheap Trick (Elvis)

And this one has to be mentioned. I'm sure several of you remember the NWA song Boyz in the hood. Well, this group called Dyanmite Hack remade it into what I call the "elevator music" version:

Boyz in the Hood - Dynamite Hack (NWA)

Summertime Blues - Rush (Blue Cheer)

Blue Cheer? Blue Cheer!?!

Come on guy... give the credit to the man... Eddie Cochran.

1275082[/snapback]

Yeah, my bad. I couldn't remember who did it first and was too lazy to search for the answer.

Blue Cheer - the first ever Heavy Metal band!! :D

Yeah, that song's been covered a few times.

Some have already been mentioned, but here goes...

Any tune off of Metallica's Garage Inc CD...and yes that includes "Turn the Page"

Anthrax - Got the Time

GNR - Knockin on Heaven's Door

Nickelback - Saturday Nights Alright for Fightin'

Pantera - Cat Scratch Fever and Planet Caravan

Disturbed - Land Of Confusion

Yeah, my bad.  I couldn't remember who did it first and was too lazy to search for the answer. 

Blue Cheer - the first ever Heavy Metal band!!  :D

Yeah, that song's been covered a few times.

1275188[/snapback]

LOL I have to admit that it is a great cover though.

Loved Blue Cheer.