[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some advice....

rocknrobn26

A very close friend of mine's wife (they have had more bad luck than anyone should have) got into a car accident (no injuries, thank God & and not her fault) and they totaled her car. I basically told her that she should demand retail value (around here NADA is pretty standard), excellent condition, and a rental car for at least 2 weeks until she can find a car that is comparable. It's their only car. They have no money to spend. This is the buddy of mine that has a 14 yo and just had a second stroke in Sept.! :D He gave up driving a year ago and cannot work anymore.

What other advice can I give so she does not get screwed?

Is what I told her reasonable? Too reasonable?

TY in advance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very close friend of mine's wife (they have had more bad luck than anyone should have) got into a car accident (no injuries, thank God & and not her fault) and they totaled her car.  I basically told her that she should demand retail value (around here NADA is pretty standard), excellent condition, and a rental car for at least 2 weeks until she can find a car that is comparable.  It's their only car. They have no money to spend.  This is the buddy of mine that has a 14 yo and just had a second stroke in Sept.!  :D  He gave up driving a year ago and cannot work anymore.

What other advice can I give so she does not get screwed?

Is what I told her reasonable? Too reasonable?

TY in advance.

1276247[/snapback]

IF the car is totaled the Insurance company will offer her a payment(if she owns the car)...well what they offer may not be enough to buy another LIKE car...

I think you can tell the Rip Off CompanyInsurance Company that you want them to REPLACE your car with a LIKE one...

not sure if that helps or not...as for the rental car thing would depend on whats on their auto policy but if she wasnt at fault she can go after the other guys insurance...oh and did you know that if you are in an accident the insurance company almost never says you werent at fault...when they hash out their stuff the person that was not at fault is usually 20% at fault in the insurance companies eyes...

i dont like insurance companies

Wow, that sucks, the insurance company will only pay for the rental up to the point that the total the car. If it is not paid for yet, I hope they have GAP ins, or that could bite them in A$$ also. After that they will get paid blue book value and may have to argue. Are there any injuries?

Sounds very reasonable advice RR.  I will say prayers that she is strong enough to get through this tough time.  She is lucky to have you as a good friend.

1276266[/snapback]

TY, SL! Dam, they need them. They also have to sell their house before May, as the insurance company says it needs repairs, that they can't afford, and won't cover them until repairs are complete. :D I could go on w/ their bad luck, but I'm trying to keep my composure.

i think what you recommended is right on.

1276267[/snapback]

TY!

..oh and did you know that if you are in an accident the insurance company almost never says you werent at fault...when they hash out their stuff the person that was not at fault is usually 20% at fault in the insurance companies eyes...

1276268[/snapback]

Amen to that, brother. They are almost as low as sports journalists. Minny is a no-fault state, so if some jerkwad busts through a stop sign and T-bones you, you're gonna pay part of the claim one way or another, whether through reduced payout or increased premium.

Burn them all. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

INFO

Understanding Your Options for a Totaled Car

Email Article    More Auto Insurance Articles

An auto insurance company's decision to declare a car a total loss is based on two factors:

1.) The value of the car

2.) The amount it would cost to repair the covered damage

Basically, if the cost of repairs exceeds the car's value, the insurance company will declare your car totaled and give you a cash settlement rather than pay for the repairs. So a relatively minor accident could be enough to total an older or inexpensive car, while a very serious accident may not cause a more expensive model to be totaled.

What can I expect to get for my totaled car?

When your car is totaled, the insurance company has an obligation to "make you whole," as that is defined in the policy. This essentially means you have to be left in approximately the same financial position you were in before the accident. To accomplish this, the insurance company will typically write you a check for the actual cash value of the vehicle, minus any deductible on your policy. After the settlement is paid, the damaged car goes to a salvage yard, where it is typically auctioned to the highest bidder and used for parts. The insurance company keeps the proceeds of this sale.

What if I want to keep my car?

If you want to keep your damaged vehicle, some insurance companies will forgo the auction process and turn the car over to you (usually in cases where the car is over 10 years old). They will still have to pay you the actual cash value of the car, minus any amount the car would have brought at auction. At that point, it is up to you to pay for the necessary repairs. If your insurer allows you to do this, you will have to inform your insurer right away if you want your car back. Once it goes to the salvage yard, you'll have little chance of getting it back, since only licensed auto salvagers are normally allowed to attend these auctions.

Even if your insurer allows you to keep the car, it may not be worth the time and expense to get it back on the road if your state has a number of special requirements you must satisfy (e.g., buying a salvage title or having the car inspected by the state police after it's been repaired).

Remember, the check you receive from your insurer is for the actual cash value of the vehicle, which may not match the cost of a similar car in the real world. If you think the settlement amount your insurer offers you is too low, but you don't want to go to the trouble of having the damaged vehicle repaired, you may be able to negotiate a higher settlement. To do this, you'll need to bring in an independent appraiser (probably at your own expense). If this appraisal is significantly more than the insurer's internal appraisal, the insurer may agree to increase your settlement.

Edited by keggerz

IF the car is totaled the Insurance company will offer her a payment(if she owns the car)...well what they offer may not be enough to buy another LIKE car...

I think you can tell the Rip Off CompanyInsurance Company that you want them to REPLACE your car with a LIKE one...

not sure if that helps or not...as for the rental car thing would depend on whats on their auto policy but if she wasnt at fault she can go after the other guys insurance...oh and did you know that if you are in an accident the insurance company almost never says you werent at fault...when they hash out their stuff the person that was not at fault is usually 20% at fault in the insurance companies eyes...

1276268[/snapback]

I told her that also. I found 2 in a nationwide CarMax search and only found 2. (Toyota Carolla CE, 85K)

Wow, that sucks, the insurance company will only pay for the rental up to the point that the total the car. If it is not paid for yet, I hope they have GAP ins, or that could bite them in A$$ also. After that they will get paid blue book value and may have to argue. Are there any injuries?

1276271[/snapback]

The car is paid for. The only good luck they have.

Rob'n-

The Ins. Co. will give her Bluebook value or close most likely, but most Ins. Cos use the "private seller to private seller" price instead of the retail price. If your friends owe more than the car is worth, they could still end up upside down on the deal, unless your friends purchased insurance to cover any deficiency in a situation like this. I deal with this a lot, so let me know if I can be of anymore assistance.

Edited by Dutch Oven

If they have any injuries, I suggest a good lawyer. It's sounds like time to turn thier luck around!

Get a Lawyer anyway, they need someone to protect them, it sounds to me.

They are now without a car and without any reperesntation. Not good!

Rob'n-

The Ins. Co. will give her Bluebook value or close most likely, but most Ins. Cos use the "private seller to private seller" price instead of the retail price.  If your friends owe more than the car is worth, they could still end up upside down on the deal, unless your friends purchased insurance to cover any deficiency in a situation like this.  I deal with this a lot, so let me know if I can be of anymore assistance.

1276286[/snapback]

Dutch, not sure where you're at, but ALL my automotive friends always said NADA was the standard in the Chi Town area. And frankly NADA is about $1500 higher. The car is paid for. Thanks for the info.

If they have any injuries, I suggest a good lawyer. It's sounds like time to turn thier luck around!

1276291[/snapback]

No injuries, but that is good. A few minor ones though could have been a help. The yin & yang. :D

Get a Lawyer anyway, they need someone to protect them, it sounds to me.

1276299[/snapback]

I'd like to get a huddler lawyer's take on that. I don't see how he/she would get paid. It's just the car.

Get them a Lawyer fast, a good ambulance chaser.

I hope they are lucky, but reality is they will get enough to buy a used car similar to their's. Is the car really totaled? I know I "totaled" a bronco a few years back, and was able to buy it back from the insurance company and get it fixed. I made $5,000 on the deal.

I have a friend, who bought a brand new Mustang this summer. She got wrecked , no fault of her own on the Jersey turnpike. I told her to get a lawyer, she said no, she was fine etc.

She ended up with medical problems, with no car and a outstanding debt for a brand new car driven once a totalled. Get a Lawyer, it costs them nothing and can only help!

I hope they are lucky, but reality is they will get enough to buy a used car similar to their's.  Is the car really totaled?  I know I "totaled" a bronco a few years back, and was able to buy it back from the insurance company and get it fixed.  I made $5,000 on the deal.

1276318[/snapback]

Preliminary estimate for repairs is $11K! Cars NADA/Bluebook is $8K-$9.5K. Plus they don't have the time nor the knowledge to mess around. TY!

RR you have been around the block, they sound like they need a boost. Get them to talk to a Lawyer.

At the very least they need their interests protected. The ins co have Lawyers, they should also.

Edited by NSab

I have a friend, who bought a brand new Mustang this summer. She got wrecked , no fault of her own on the Jersey turnpike. I told her to get a lawyer, she said no, she was fine etc.

She ended up with medical problems, with no car and a outstanding debt for a brand new car driven once a totalled. Get a Lawyer, it costs them nothing and can only help!

1276325[/snapback]

I'll tell her that. They already have a lawyer to try and get my bud on total disability. His first stroke put him out of his job (lost his short term memory & half his vision) and he could only work p/t at Jewel bagging groceries and p/t stocking shelves at a stationary supply warehouse. Their lawyer then dropped the ball (my opinion) and he got nothing! :D

I'll tell her that.  They already have a lawyer to try and get my bud on total disability.  His first stroke put him out of his job (lost his short term memory & half his vision) and he could only work p/t at Jewel bagging groceries and p/t stocking shelves at a stationary supply warehouse.  Their lawyer then dropped the ball (my opinion) and he got nothing! :D

1276339[/snapback]

Don't use that one then :D

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that I would want to read the insurance policy before I did anything. :D

1276341[/snapback]

Let the Lawyer read it!