[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Say hello to the future

BiggieFries

Why haven't we wired the control of these planes directly into the pilot's brain? Clearly we haven't explored biomechanics in the military realm enough.

The F-14 Tomcat is still the coolest plane ever built!  :D

1284079[/snapback]

Good info here! The Tomcat was my favorite growing up as was the Spitfire.

They sure are planning to build a lot of these F35s. I'd be cautious in who I'd sell them to. Turkey was on the list...and Canada. :D

Good info here!  The Tomcat was my favorite growing up as was the Spitfire.

They sure are planning to build a lot of these F35s.  I'd be cautious in who I'd sell them to.  Turkey was on the list...and Canada.  :D

1284202[/snapback]

while its true we are sellng aton of these to forign countries, they are not the same airplanes...cept for the engines and airframe. the inside technology that we get wont be the same as the forign model

Guest THEbigred
A-10 Thunderbolt...or Warthog, whichever you prefer. :D

1284953[/snapback]

Now yer cookin.

PS I predict that "...no control stick in the floor. It’s been replaced by sliding knobs on each side of the cockpit, with fingertip switches" will go over like a lead balloon w/pilots.

Good info here!  The Tomcat was my favorite growing up as was the Spitfire.

They sure are planning to build a lot of these F35s.  I'd be cautious in who I'd sell them to.  Turkey was on the list...and Canada.  :D

1284202[/snapback]

Oh great. Look out Detroit, Buffalo and any other boarder city during Canadian Air Force practice days.

The F-14 Tomcat is still the coolest plane ever built!   :D

1284079[/snapback]

A-10 Thunderbolt...or Warthog, whichever you prefer. :D

1284953[/snapback]

I love both of these planes. The Tomcat is still my favorite, but the A-10 is one highly admirable critter and tough as a battle tank. :D

Edit to add: My favorite WWII aircraft - the F4U Corsair. Is that a beautiful plane, or what? :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Last night PBS showed the competition between Lockheed and Boeing in developing this aircraft. Both were pretty cool designs that passed all of their tests, but Lockheed's design was better at the vertical lift. Very cool show... try to catch it if they run it again! :D

Basically Lockheed would have been out of business if they hadn't won the contract. Boeing put a ton of money into this as well, but they will survive and have already cornered the market on pilotless aircrafts for the most part.

One of the test pilots on the show last night said he had never felt anything quite like it... with that single engine accelerating directly behind him with that much thrust. He said it was like getting shot out of a water hose or somthing like that.

It looks like an incredible jet fighter, but "it will cost between 37 million and 48 million dollars".

Holy Athena!!!!!!! :D

1284024[/snapback]

Yeah, health care is too expensve but more toys is a great idea.

Just what we need to fight terrorists. It's amazing how much more we could do if we had a rational defense budget. Give the money to the troops instead of buying more equipment. I doubt if we need it to fight Osama moving from cave to cave.

It's fun to watch, but come on.

touch screen controls to select weapons, etc.- is it me or does that sound a bit dangerous?

I mean what if the pilot spills coffee on his way to work and accidently bumps the screen-oops I just bombed Cleveland- I hate when that happens..

1291906[/snapback]

Bombing Cleveland would be a good thing. :D

Last night PBS showed the competition between Lockheed and Boeing in developing this aircraft.  Both were pretty cool designs that passed all of their tests, but Lockheed's design was better at the vertical lift.  Very cool show... try to catch it if they run it again!  :D

Basically Lockheed would have been out of business if they hadn't won the contract.  Boeing put a ton of money into this as well, but they will survive and have already cornered the market on pilotless aircrafts for the most part.

1291610[/snapback]

Forced MacDonald Douglas to sell to Boeing.

:D  Yup.  My screensaver is made up of a bunch of Corsair art like the one I posted the link to.  I always think of Pappy Boyington and his boys as those pics run across my screen. 

:D

1285862[/snapback]

My dad took me to an air show when I was young to meet Pappy Boyington. I remember being disappointed he didn't look more like Robert Conrad. :D

Yeah, health care is too expensve but more toys is a great idea.

Just what we need to fight terrorists. It's amazing how much more we could do if we had a rational defense budget. Give the money to the troops instead of buying more equipment. I doubt if we need it to fight Osama moving from cave to cave.

It's fun to watch, but come on.

1291674[/snapback]

Don't kid yourself. It is our constant progress in the military field that keeps us ahead of the world. If at some point we just sit complacent, another country will eventually pass us by (read: China) and then we won't have a military advantage. All the naysayers were saying the same things about the F117 and B2 bombers and all the high tech stuff we have now, but look at the advantages we have because of them.

Always stay ahead...always.