[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer pro's

Front Row

Machine's been fine all year, somewhere today I picked up a trojan. Man does that P me off. :D  What good is Norton if it doesn't do it's job? :D Anyways, I have 2 days left to decide to renew or not , any input greatly appreciated.

1286471[/snapback]

While on the subject of Norton if when you run the virus scan and it shows 14 infected and none fixed is there anything I can do or is the computer pretty much f'd/

heard about it here.....

Antivirus

If you have no antivirus program:

1 Trend Micro $50

2 Kaspersky Lab $35

Both are easy to use and offer full technical support. Trend Micro (1) has a button to disconnect from the Internet; Web mail scan that works with AOL, Yahoo, and MSN; antispam and privacy protection; vulnerability scan; and a Web filter. Kaspersky Lab (2) has few options but includes spyware and adware detection (which we did not test), “network attack” protection, and an extended database to scan for malicious programs.

If you already own one of these major-brand products:

4 Symantec $50

6 McAfee $50

Both these programs, often bundled with new computers, should do the job. Symantec (4) includes worm blocking, spyware and keylogger detection, and an MS Office document scan. McAfee (6) includes a firewall but has a confusing interface.

For free protection but limited support:

5 Alwil

Alwil (5) provides full-featured protection and is relatively easy to use. But there’s no phone support, only e-mail support. The download site is at www.avast.com

Own Norton, have always owned Norton, have no problem with Norton.

Just bought and upgraded to System Works/Firewall 2006. No problem installing... no problems with usage.

Been using Norton products since 1988. Never have had problems with any Norton product. Even after Symantec bought it.

Don't know what to say. Most everyone here dislikes Norton. I happen to like it and it does a fine job for me.

Just bought and upgraded to System Works/Firewall 2006. No problem installing... no problems with usage.

Been using Norton products since 1988. Never have had problems with any Norton product. Even after Symantec bought it.

Don't know what to say. Most everyone here dislikes Norton. I happen to like it and it does a fine job for me.

1286685[/snapback]

I also use it at home, always have, never a problem. It's not so hot in a corporate environment though.

1286685[/snapback]

ditto here...it's easy enough for a monkey to use...well, which is why I renew it every year :D

I have Norton.

I think H8 has recommended Panda. I had some problems. I ran Norton, and it didn't find anything.

I downloaded and ran the free Panda scan. Found 70 items, most of them spyware. But it did find a trojan.

I have also had problems with the ccapp.exe file. It takes up a lot of memory and I have problems shutting down.

I'll be switching to Panda.

Edited by Furd

While on the subject of Norton if when you run the virus scan and it shows 14 infected and none fixed is there anything I can do or is the computer pretty much f'd/

1286487[/snapback]

When that happens, sometimes it's finding stuff that is quarantined by another program such as Reg. Mech, Spy Sweeper, etc. Next time it happens, check the offending file's location by clicking it and see where it is. Good chance it's a quarantined file.

I have Norton.

I think H8 has recommended Panda.  I had some problems.  I ran Norton, and it didn't find anything. 

I downloaded and ran the free Panda scan.  Found 70 items, most of them spyware.  But it did find a trojan.

I have also had problems with the ccapp.exe file.  It takes up a lot of memory and I have problems shutting down.

I'll be switching to Panda.

1287003[/snapback]

My wifes PC now has a problem. I've been using Norton's for years with no problems. Have used Ad-aware and Webroot stuff.

I also have that pesky ccapp.exe . Cannot shutdown for beans and trying to call up task manager. Forget about it. :D Logged in under georgemoe I can generally pull up task manager and it has all the tabs. When my wife logs in under her username, taskmanager is missing the tabs.

The biggest issue this worm presents is trying to enter passwords. Whatever the PC is infected with, enters extra characters when you try to input a password. It's maddening. :mad:

I'll have to go back and check Bunz's topic. I remember her having a problem recently. I am running XP Home.

I did try running Panda but it was only a scan. Found a bunch of stuff that Norton, Ad-Aware, and Spy-Sweeper did not. But it wouldn't clean anything. I already purchased a copy of NAV 2006 but won't be installing that until it's time to renew in May.

My wifes PC now has a problem. I've been using Norton's for years with no problems. Have used Ad-aware and Webroot stuff.

I also have that pesky ccapp.exe . Cannot shutdown for beans and trying to call up task manager. Forget about it.  :D  Logged in under georgemoe I can generally pull up task manager and it has all the tabs. When my wife logs in under her username, taskmanager is missing the tabs.

The biggest issue this worm presents is trying to enter passwords. Whatever the PC is infected with, enters extra characters when you try to input a password. It's maddening. :mad:

I'll have to go back and check Bunz's topic. I remember her having a problem recently. I am running XP Home.

I did try running Panda but it was only a scan. Found a bunch of stuff that Norton, Ad-Aware, and Spy-Sweeper did not. But it wouldn't clean anything. I already purchased a copy of NAV 2006 but won't be installing that until it's time to renew in May.

1287080[/snapback]

I'm gonna look some stuff up, but ccap.exe is Norton's, not a worm. Sorry if I misunderstood. Every once in awhile it won't let me exit, but it's rare.

I'm gonna look some stuff up, but ccap.exe is Norton's, not a worm.  Sorry if I misunderstood.  Every once in awhile it won't let me exit, but it's rare.

1287090[/snapback]

Thanks Rockn. Then it must be one (or more) of the other 40 processes that are running. :D

Machine's been fine all year, somewhere today I picked up a trojan. Man does that P me off. :D  What good is Norton if it doesn't do it's job? :D Anyways, I have 2 days left to decide to renew or not , any input greatly appreciated.

1286471[/snapback]

When I used PC's Norton would re-up when installed new. I used old versions and they worked OK.

I'm gonna look some stuff up, but ccap.exe is Norton's, not a worm.  Sorry if I misunderstood.  Every once in awhile it won't let me exit, but it's rare.

1287090[/snapback]

You are correct sir. You should NOT disable this process if you are going to continue using Norton...disabling it, and continuing to run Norton may cause some unstability.

One thing I think alot of people don't realize...when they complain "my computer is just soooo slow" is that you must have a half decent machine to run alot of these apps (including the Norton suites, etc.). You're not going to get by w 256 MB of RAM and a celeron processor anymore for most part. It's not ALWAYS a spyware problem. And to run the buttload of needed protection for the average home user, you must have adequate hardware & system resources....or you will bog down your own PC....may not have any spyware....but you've slowed your PC to a crawl all on your own.

Edited by Hitman

You are correct sir.  You should NOT disable this process if you are going to continue using Norton...disabling it, and continuing to run Norton may cause some unstability. 

One thing I think alot of people don't realize...when they complain "my computer is just soooo slow" is that you must have a half decent machine to run alot of these apps (including the Norton suites, etc.).  You're not going to get by w 256 MB of RAM and a celeron processor anymore for most part.  It's not ALWAYS a spyware problem.  And to run the buttload of needed protection for the average home user, you must have adequate hardware & system resources....or you will bog down your own PC....may not have any spyware....but you've slowed your PC to a crawl all on your own.

1287357[/snapback]

Soooo true! XP alone takes almost 256K. Go to safe mode and run msinfo32.exe and you'll see.

I also have that pesky ccapp.exe . Cannot shutdown for beans and trying to call up task manager. Forget about it.  :D  Logged in under georgemoe I can generally pull up task manager and it has all the tabs. When my wife logs in under her username, taskmanager is missing the tabs.

1287080[/snapback]

Here's a link to a possible solution:

Ccapp doesn't shut down............

As far as your wife's issue, Does her login have administrative rights?

Edited by rocknrobn26

Here's a link to a possible solution:

Ccapp doesn't shut down............

As far as your wife's issue, Does her login have administrative rights?

1287477[/snapback]

Thanks RR. I will delete temp files. I had already done this last week but will check again.

Both logins are set up with admin rights.

There is currenly no better product on the market than Panda Antivirus + Antispyware 2006. This is not up to discussion. This is a simple and plain fact.

If you use mcaffee, you might as well be using nothing, why do you think AOL users get it for free.

Norton is, and always has been 'decent' for antivirus, but does practically NOTHING for spyware, which is what is causing most ALL of the headaches out there now.

Virus were designed and written with malicious intent, spyware is made to make money, and make millions they do.

Panda is a VERY agressive antivirus, and also a VERY good, if not THE best at deteting and eliminating spyware.

Best thing about it? You can buy the OEM copy for about $10. I'll sell you one for $15 shipped if you want.

Lulu and Bear Fatty? You guys need to install mcaffee and go smoke some browneyes.