[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NOVA builds a trebuchet

rajncajn

This was played on PBS last night. For anybody who hasn't already seen it, the show was centered around a competition of two teams building their own design of a full scale trebuchet, lobbing 250 & 300 LB balls a couple of hundred yards across Loch Ness. I found myself glued to the set & laughing like a school kid with a sack full of firecrackers when they finally hit the target. :D:D

I've seen that - pretty cool. The guy that came up with that is a darn site smarter than I am. :D

I've thought about building one with my son and his friends large enough to launch watermelons and bowling balls. I'd have to put some kind of kid-proof safety on it. :D

dammit im going to build one

1287384[/snapback]

Trebuchet.com

trebuchetstore.com

I can vouch that this one will throw a golfball about 300 feet with the roll.

I am supposed to bring mine to my kid's 8th grade science class in a week to demonstrate it.

Trebuchet.com

trebuchetstore.com

I can vouch that this one will throw a golfball about 300 feet with the roll.

I am supposed to bring mine to my kid's 8th grade science class in a week to demonstrate it.

1287414[/snapback]

thanks dmd

I love Nova.

The nerd scale:

Username is Elrond>World of Warcraft > Linux user > Nova watcher > Styx fan

1287613[/snapback]

Fixed

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

1 Members: Elrond

:D

Anybody ever hear of the pumpkin chucking competition in Maryland (Delaware maybe)?

Lots of trebuchets and glorfied potato guns.  I've seen clips of it on TV.  Bunch of weirdos, but it seems like a good time.

1287820[/snapback]

At the risk of pushing myself even further down the nerd scale...

It's technically called Pumpkin "chunkin'", with an "n"... not chucking, like you'd think.

Come Sail away... come sail away... come sail away with meeeee.

At the risk of pushing myself even further down the nerd scale...

It's technically called Pumpkin "chunkin'", with an "n"... not chucking, like you'd think.

Come Sail away... come sail away... come sail away with meeeee.

1287992[/snapback]

Yup - looks like a lot of fun.

Closest I've ever come to this is a hugh sling shot we built in high school. We made it out of 2x4s and several strands of rubber surgical tubing and a foot square patch of leather. It would throw a 10" water ballon a couple of hundred hards and knock people on their can with a direct hit. :D

Yup - looks like a lot of fun.

Closest I've ever come to this is a hugh sling shot we built in high school.  We made it out of 2x4s and several strands of rubber surgical tubing and a foot square patch of leather.  It would throw a 10" water ballon a couple of hundred hards and knock people on their can with a direct hit.   :D

1288148[/snapback]

We made a similar sling out of surgical tubing using two trees for braces. It would shoot a water ballon easily 100 yards and we bombed cars with it until we accidently hit a police car. Growing up in Tyler, Texas demanding creative uses of our time.