[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Twice in one tourney...to the same guy

Cyclones

Unreal. Local live tourney, $120 buy in with a good crowd. Top prize was $7500, top three got paid. We were down to six and I have the chip lead, the button, and suited AK. I raise to 5X the BB (which was fairly large at this point.) The second from bottom stack calls cold, everyone else folds. Flop come AK5 rainbow. Beautiful. I did not put the guy on fives after he threw a good sized bet in (he had slowplayed sets twice previously in the same tourney.) I figured I would find out where I stood and raised him back the same amount. He thought for awhile then called. Turn is a nine that doesnt match any suit, no flush draw. He checks, so I figure he isn't very strong. I check (probably a mistake, but you'll see later why it would not have mattered.) River is a nine. He pushes all in. After thinking about it for awhile I put him on AQ and call (I had about triple the amount of chips he did to start the hand.) He turns over A9. I calmly muck my AK without showing as he mutters the words "don't fu*k with me." I figure I will catch him later.

About an hour later we are down to four. I am second in chips in the BB, my nemesis is the leader. He limps, everyone else folds and I look down at 8-10 of diamonds. Not a bad hand to look at a flop with. In retrospect I probably should have raised here, but the flop hit me like a ton of bricks.....8-8-Q. I check, he sits back for about 45 seconds, checks his cards twice, and announces enough to push me all in. I beat him into the pot as he turns over 8-5. Turn blank, river 5, and I'm gone. Dude goes on to win the 7.5K as I walk away empty handed. Mouthy fatherless male.

I'll get another crack at this guy next week. Unfortunately he won enough last night to cover 65 buy ins to this tourney.

1288208[/snapback]

I hate awful players that think they're good b/c they played rags and caught a miracle. What a douchebag.

I hate awful players that think they're good b/c they played rags and caught a miracle. What a douchebag.

1288257[/snapback]

They indeed the bane of poker. And there are many of them. Supposedly in the long run they will lose. The question is can you play for the long run?

If not, kick his a$$ outside and then quit playing poker. :D

They indeed the bane of poker.  And there are many of them.  Supposedly in the long run they will lose.  The question is can you play for the long run?

If not, kick his a$$ outside and then quit playing poker.  :D

1288831[/snapback]

I plan on torching this guy next week. Man oh man, he hit runner runner to beat me in one pot (after making a terrible pre-flop call, not to mention calling the raise with such a weak ace.) The 8-5 play wasnt quite so terrible,he just got lucky. I will take him down soon.

They indeed the bane of poker.  And there are many of them.  Supposedly in the long run they will lose.  The question is can you play for the long run?

If not, kick his a$$ outside and then quit playing poker.  :D

1288831[/snapback]

They are great for the game. Fish winnings make up a majority of my profit online. Without the fish, the games would be a lot tougher and a whole less profitable. When a fish pulls some BS on you, just smile, nod, and say nice hand. This encourages them to make the same play again, and next time you'll win the hand.

They are great for the game. Fish winnings make up a majority of my profit online. Without the fish, the games would be a lot tougher and a whole less profitable. When a fish pulls some BS on you, just smile, nod, and say nice hand. This encourages them to make the same play again, and next time you'll win the hand.

1290271[/snapback]

Yeah, if everyone who you played poker with was an expert you would lose your shirt. I was watching High Stake Poker on Monday and Greenstein said he wins the majority of his money from poor players. Go to Vegas or LA, you will never see two recognizable pros at the same table..they would rather take down the tourists. True, some of the huge names get together and play for ridiculous amounts (like "The Big Game," where Chip Reese, Brunson, Chan, Ivey, etc get together and play for insane bucks,) but most pros make their living from bad players.

Playing a live tournament tonight and I am juiced up. $120 buy-in, with $100 to the prize pool, $10 to the house, and $10 to a separate side pot to be used for yearlong prizes. Not a big tournament, maybe 40 players or so.

Played a small tournament last weekend ($40 buy-in, 60 players) - I was in great shape about two hours in, maybe 2nd or 3rd among all remaining players, when they moved some young pimply-faced kid to my table. At that point, I could have just stood up and moved all my chips in front of this kid, because that's essentially what I proceeded to do over the next ten hands or so. I made two bad misplays - one where I bluffed at a pot unnecessarily and he called me down (truth be told, a better player would have folded to my bluff here, he didn't have nearly a good enough hand to call me, but that happens sometimes with weaker players). The second one I slow-played two pair long enough for him to pull a flush. Just stupid plays on my part, live and learn. Afterwards I was talking to a girl I knew there and a couple of her friends - the friends were school teachers in that area and knew the kid, they were kind enough to tell me that when in high school, the young pimply-faced kid was in the "slow" math class. So I lost to Special Ed. $#^%&$$#@(!!!

Unreal. Local live tourney, $120 buy in with a good crowd. Top prize was $7500, top three got paid.

1288122[/snapback]

Kind of a tough tournament structure Cyclones. Must have had close to if not over 100 entrants in order to pay $7500 to winner and still have something left over for 2nd and 3rd. But with that many entrants, why do only top 3 get paid? Way too top heavy, IMO. You should have got at least something for 4th.

Kind of a tough tournament structure Cyclones.  Must have had close to if not over 100 entrants in order to pay $7500 to winner and still have something left over for 2nd and 3rd.  But with that many entrants, why do only top 3 get paid?  Way too top heavy, IMO.  You should have got at least something for 4th.

1290499[/snapback]

Yeah, there were around 125 people I think. I've taken second and third in this tournament once each in the past, but this was my best chance to win. I like it being top heavy. What I got for fourth is a reason to play next week to nail the guy who outdrew me twice.