[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This could be bad

cliaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you cats really think that this former Navy SEAL is so conditioned (in this case after 30 some-odd years) that he'll kill this guy before he realizes what he's doing?

1289307[/snapback]

Yes. Some things are so ingrained that it doesn't really matter how much time has passed. It's automatic. Probably won't kill him... but if the guy is close he will certainly put a world of hurt on the jumper.

Kid... maybe you have and maybe you haven't (I think you haven't) come up against a former special forces type but you need to know that the jumping out guy is going to be in a serious world of hurt if that Seal can't delay his reflexes and instinct.

I agree with you that too often people tell other people how to live.... but there are certain situations where caution needs to be stated. That jumper best be clear across the room when he pops up... if he is real close the result is not going to be good. Can't lighten up on this without giving a disclaimer to Cliaz.

1289312[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. This could turn out really, really funny or really, really not. Just make sure when/if he does it he is not within striking distance. :D

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

While I think that most of the posters here are maybe overblowing the awesome ingrained power of the Navy SEAL (can't remember anyone whispering, "don't mess with senator Murpha, he'll f(_)ck you up")

I do think this is a much funnier joke on paper than in real life.

cliaz, my father was a vietnam vet.  it messed with the minds of those men in very cruel ways.  i would advise your co-workers to put this one to bed.  there's no humor in it and you don't know for sure what the reaction will be.  i think it's pretty safe to say that if none of your co-workers experienced the vietnam war firsthand, you probably have no right to joke about it.

this is not anything against you, because maybe this guy really does have a great sense of humor, i just think this is a topic not many who were over there will ever joke about.  just my thoughts.

1289257[/snapback]

VERY GOOD INFO HERE! :D

I couldn't give a rat's ass about your pajama-wearing co-worker, but who the f'ck knows what your boss experienced when he was in Vietnam and who knows what sort of memories this incident might make him recall. This could turn out to be a very cruel joke on a veteran. Overall, a very bad idea.

While I think that most of the posters here are maybe overblowing the awesome ingrained power of the Navy SEAL .......

1289407[/snapback]

My POV has nothing to do with "awsome ingrained power" it has to do with situations occuring where conditioned instincts/reflexes take over. (Trust me... that conditioning doesn't just go away because some time has passed. You may get older and slower.... but it is still there.)

One doesn't get time to think about it... it is an automatic reaction/response. Some things you just don't have any control over.

Probably nothing will come of this, but why place people in a situation where someone could get hurt? That doesn't sound like a joke to me. It sounds more like putting someone in a position to lose their job and placing someone else in a position to get hurt.

You play with fire... you get burnt.

For the other part of the post.... I don't think this is funny at all. Playing with what was probably the worst time of this guys life is not funny and isn't a joke. Practical or otherwise. Trust me... he won't think it is funny no matter how it turns out or what kind of face he puts on immediately following. He will remember this 'joke' for a long time.

Sorry about the soapbox....

I forgot about the part that you absolutely hate this guy. (And just about everyone else you work with I guess.) Maybe the point of the 'joke' is that you would be more than happy to place him in a position to hurt someone and have him lose his job?

Sure hope I am wrong on that. Whose idea was it in the first place?

When I was ~10, I thought it would be funny to hide in the bathroom and scare my Dad when he walked in. Dad was a rather good amateur boxer in his day. I jumped out when he turned the light on. He had me by the throat, w/ his right arm cocked, in a millesecond. Why he didn't follow thru I don't know, but my face would have been goo if he had. I never did anything like that again.

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

While I think that most of the posters here are maybe overblowing the awesome ingrained power of the Navy SEAL (can't remember anyone whispering, "don't mess with senator Murpha, he'll f(_)ck you up")

I do think this is a much funnier joke on paper than in real life.

1289407[/snapback]

mmmmmmmmm not really ive known 2 both were kooko and would go off at the drop of a dime... =if u like to gamble go for it.... :D

When I was ~10, I thought it would be funny to hide in the bathroom and scare my Dad when he walked in.  Dad was a rather good amateur boxer in his day.  I jumped out when he turned the light on.  He had me by the throat, w/ his right arm cocked, in a millesecond.  Why he didn't follow thru I don't know, but my face would have been goo if he had.  I never did anything like that again.

1289560[/snapback]

Similarly, when I was in the military, a buddy jumped out on me from round a corridor corner. I broke his nose instantly without even knowing who he was, it was just totally automatic. And believe me, I'm no SEAL.

my dad is a vietnam vet and the one rule we had in the house was not to wake him up suddenly. it was never a good thing. he was fine in every other way, but it was painful to wake him up and watch him come to attention quickly to determine where he was. keep in mind that this was over 25 years ago. so it's fine to joke about it during normal situations, but if you spring an unexpected situation on him, who knows what will happen.

a joke like that in my office, and i'm assuming most, would get people fired, even if everyone involved thought it was funny.

oh and cunning - that was funny about the manilla folder!

Instead of dressing up like Charlie, can't you get the little dude to do something else, like dress up as a Singapore Hooker and throw out the ol' Love You Long Time standby?

Or have him take revealing pictures of himself on a Harley and conspicuously leave them on your boss's desk, with a note asking for a raise.