[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Jazz lovers? (Not Utah)

Swampnuts

I'm listening to a Diana Krall CD with the wife tonight, as we're chillin' out. Anyone out there have any "newer" jazz recommendations?

I've got the basics covered with Davis and Coltrane, but I don't have any newer stuff.

P.S.- Diana Krall is about as close to perfect as you can get, smooth pipes and hot as hell :D

http://www.dianakrall.com/gallery.aspx?pid=216

Edited by Swampnuts

I just downloaded a new cd by Madeline Peyroux for my wife. Her voice sounds just like Billy Holiday. It's really a great album. One of her tunes is used in a Docker commercial which is where i heard it and thought it was some Billy H recording i never heard.

edited to add Link :

Edited by Cunning Linguist

I'm listening to a Diana Krall CD with the wife tonight, as we're chillin' out.  Anyone out there have any "newer" jazz recommendations? 

I've got the basics covered with Davis and Coltrane, but I don't have any newer stuff. 

P.S.- Diana Krall is about as close to perfect as you can get,  smooth pipes and hot as hell  :D

1292730[/snapback]

Seems that Canada is putting out the smooth jazz vocalists (Krall is from Vancouver Island, BC). She plays one of the local wineries here almost every year and I've never missed her show. Her husband, Elvis Costello, made a guest appearance at the last show. They're both a little on the weird side but I could listen to them sing for hours. Along those lines, Holly Cole is pretty good. Michael Buble' is following Harry Connick Jr's style. There's another female similar putting out music similar to Krall and Cole but I'm drawing a blank on the name. I'll remember and post.

I'm a jazz lover from way back. However like most of my music it seems that I prefer the older stuff. I'm sure there is a lot of great newer jazz but just haven't found the time to buy any.

Will admit that Diana Krall intrigues me. May have to break down and go buy some.

Az should be along shortly. :D

Edited by skylive5

:D Correct, but i think he prefers the more traditional jazz.

1292744[/snapback]

well, sorta...lots of new stuff i like as well, but not so much the lounge-y pop vocal stuff like everyone is talking about here. that stuff is alright, but musically it's kinda bland. i like groundbreaking jazz with more balls.

well, sorta...lots of new stuff i like as well, but not so much the lounge-y pop vocal stuff like everyone is talking about here.  that stuff is alright, but musically it's kinda bland.  i like groundbreaking jazz with more balls.

1292760[/snapback]

Pass some names along so I can give them a try. :D

Pass some names along so I can give them a try.  :D

1292769[/snapback]

bill frisell is a great guitarist, whose music is filed under jazz but draws heavily from rock and country influences as well. he has a very unique, lyrical guitar sound. very listenable as well.

dave douglas is trumpeter/bandleader who always puts together interesting groups and concepts, and he's a top notch soloist as well.

matthew shipp is one of the leading pianists in avant-garde jazz, and some of his more recent albums have been very accessible yet distinctive and edgy.

james 'blood' ulmer is a jazz/blues guitarist and vocalist who i love.

jazz vets like wayne shorter and dave holland have some of the best working bands going right now, with excellent recent albums.

those are some current guys. but if you say you've got the older stuff covered with miles and coltrane...how about mingus, sonny rollins, bill evans, clifford brown, art tatum? if you really like jazz, those are the avenues to run down first, if you haven't already..

bill frisell is a great guitarist, whose music is filed under jazz but draws heavily from rock and country influences as well.  he has a very unique, lyrOr Funkical guitar sound.  very listenable as well.

dave douglas is trumpeter/bandleader who always puts together interesting groups and concepts, and he's a top notch soloist as well.

matthew shipp is one of the leading pianists in avant-garde jazz, and some of his more recent albums have been very accessible yet distinctive and edgy. 

jazz vets like wayne shorter and dave holland have some of the best working bands going right now, with excellent recent albums. 

those are some current guys.  but if you say you've got the older stuff covered with miles and coltrane...how about mingus, sonny rollins, bill evans, clifford brown, art tatum?  if you really like jazz, those are the avenues to run down first, if you haven't already..

1292795[/snapback]

If you havent already,give Galactic a listen. More an Acid Jazz but very good IMO.http://www.galacticfunk.com/

Edited by tbimm

If you havent already,give Galactic a listen. More an Acid Jazz but very good IMO.

1292844[/snapback]

I classify Galactic as more funk. I put them in the same rack as Medeski Martin and Wood, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe.

EDIT: :doah: that's probably why their website is galacticfunk.com.

EDIT: Oooh oooh... and the Greyboy Allstars are in that rack too. They're good.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I classify Galactic as more funk.  I put them in the same rack as Medeski Martin and Wood, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe.

EDIT:  :doah:  that's probably why their website is galacticfunk.com.

1292846[/snapback]

Yeah your right they are more Funk but they have alot of influence from the New Orleans Jazz scene.

bill frisell is a great guitarist, whose music is filed under jazz but draws heavily from rock and country influences as well.  he has a very unique, lyrical guitar sound.  very listenable as well.

1292795[/snapback]

Big james ulmer fan :D

Edited by Moss6

Guest THEbigred
smooth jazz

1293621[/snapback]

I'm no purist by any means, but "smooth jazz" is one hell of an oxymoron :hurl: Freakin glorified muzak more often than not. Very happy that these radio stations are fading away (at least around here).

P.S.- Diana Krall is about as close to perfect as you can get,  smooth pipes and hot as hell 

1292730[/snapback]

pf - phooey. Admittedly I haven't heard a ton of her, but what I have heard hasn't been so amazing as some would have me believe, to say the least.

Edited by THEbigred