[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

logmein.com

AtomicCEO

Someone showed me http://www.logmein.com today. It allows you to remotely access and control another PC. So... when I'm at home I can run applications on my PC at work (hello, more paternity leave!).

And it's FREE. Well... the Basic free service is. There is an upgrade that you can pay for which has additional file management and guest access.

Has anyone used it? It came to me with rave reviews... but I don't know much about it for security, system slowdown, or anything like that.

My boss has been using logmein for about six months and he loves it. He has one of the upgraded packages that allows you a little more access than just the basic service. I think it also allows you to control your office printer from home.

One drawback is that anyone at the office can see what you are working on when you are logged on from home which isn't a problem where I work, but it could be for some places.

Regarding system slowdown, I don't think that it will be a problem as long as you have a good internet connection. Since your work pc is running all of the programs you should be able to work as fast as that computer will allow with a small amount of lag since you are working from a remote site.

My boss has been using logmein for about six months and he loves it.  He has one of the upgraded packages that allows you a little more access than just the basic service.  I think it also allows you to control your office printer from home. 

One drawback is that anyone at the office can see what you are working on when you are logged on from home which isn't a problem where I work, but it could be for some places. 

Regarding system slowdown, I don't think that it will be a problem as long as you have a good internet connection.  Since your work pc is running all of the programs you should be able to work as fast as that computer will allow with a small amount of lag since you are working from a remote site.

1293309[/snapback]

couldnt you just disconnect the monitor :D

couldnt you just disconnect the monitor :D

1293481[/snapback]

I guess that would work but it would be kind of a hassle to disconnect your monitor before leaving everyday. And, if the people in your office can get to your computer to see the screen I'm sure they could plug the monitor back in. Not much you could do about it then since you are at home.

My wife and me both use GoToMyPC.com. It works great. We both have servers at work and have cable at home. The speed is just as fast as using it from the source from what I can tell.

1295019[/snapback]

I've heard great things about gotomypc.com. I forgot who mentioned it, but Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection is free with XP and is very simple to use. PC Anywhere is a good utility as well.