[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heads Up re: Homeowners Insurance

Beaumont

As many of you know, we had quite a bit of damage after Rita, as did a lot of people in SE Tex. Well, against my better judgment, we have insurance through Allstate. Most of the insurers accepted Additional Living Expense claims for people who were forfced to stay out of Beaumont during the mandatory evac ... but Allstate refused to pay the ALE claims. The Texas Dept of Insurance took them to Court and won an order that they had to pay. The Order was just reveresed. During the 4 month interim, although they were court-ordered to process ALE claims, Allstate delayed and had their adjusters tell people that accepting ALE claims would slow down their property claims, and they instructed all of their adjusters "on the ground" not to adjust ALE claims.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not even saying that I think it is a slam dunk that the Texas Form A Homeowners policy covers ALE under a mandatory evac ... however, after dealing with Allstate Texas Lloyds, I want all of you to know that they blow chunks, and I will not be renewing their policy ... they are also fighting people on fences, etc. that other insurers cover without argument ...

(I do a lot of work for Texas Farm Bureau insureds, and would prefer to have Farm Bureau insurance, but will not get it so as to avoid any conflict. I am thinking about looking into the more pricey, but less assholish insurers ...)

FYI for Allstate insureds ...

Dont even get me started! :D

All I can say is that you all better read your policies very closely and make sure your covered for what you were told you are covered for. Insurance nightmares in New Orleans are a daily topic of conversation.

Doubtful.

Review it maybe, to make sure that it conforms with local law.

1293337[/snapback]

All of that boilerplate was drawn up by insurance lawyers. Odd that you would even try to deny it...

I had Allstate for quite a few years. Never had a claim. In the winter of 1978-79, I had major ice dam problems, and a lot of property damage. Allstate gave me about $.50 on the dollar for repairs. I dropped them like a hot rock, went to State Farm, and for 25+ years, no troubles what so ever. Allstate sucks big time.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I left Allstate because they sucked midget balls.

I ended up going with Eerie Home Owner Ins and Car ins. I haven't had a complaint yet on them. BUT I haven't had a hurricane come through and trash my house either.

All Ins. company are nothing more than legalized extortion. You make one claim and their either jack up your rates or drop you all together. I don’t know why someone doesn’t opening up a class action suit against ins. Companies for their business practices.

One thing that angered me to no end was everyone in N.O. who’s house was flooded out, and the ins. Companies denied them coverage. That whole flood ins. Deal.

That shouldn’t matter, ya know.

All Ins. company are nothing more than legalized extortion.  You make one claim and their either jack up your rates or drop you all together. 

1293424[/snapback]

I just want ONE day of open season on insurance executives. Just ONE day... :D

Blood suckin'.... :D:D

insurance companies suck azzz!!!

being a stock trader, i noticed several of them getting hit when katrina came through...but they bounced right back, why you ask....cause they will not cover alot of things and they will just raise rates across the country to make up for losses elsewhere...nice little scam!!

and in some states the companies look out for each other, not very competitive..in illinois, for auto insurance they make payments based on responsibilty...my brother was tboned at an intersection where the other guy blew a stop sign...the 2 insurance companies agreed that my brother was 30% responsible!!!! they do this so they can spread the costs around

Edited by dmarc117

I disagree. I had State Farm car insurance for a few years and they constantly raised my prices. Then when I bought a house they wouldn't cover it because it has a fuse box instead of circuit breakers. I told them we were going to have that changed but they wouldn't budge so I said F'em. I went to Allstate, and knock on wood, have had no problems. My fiancee had a car accident and there were no problems with the claim. Our insurance went up a little, but after a year without any claims, it dropped again.

Its a little ironic that lawyers drew up that policy isnt Beaumont?

1293305[/snapback]

I am not complaining about the "form", which was written by the TDI ...

I have potential problems with how Allstate interprets their policy versus how other insurers interpret the same language. But really, its more than that. You may have coverage disputes; I have no problem with that (I handle most of Texas Farm Bureau's work right?) ...

Its really that Allstate takes the position which screws their insured (both in 1st party and 3rd party claim resolution) 10x more than any other insurer out there (I may be exaggerating but I don't think so) ... I thought everyone would want to know that. IMHO that makes Allstate insurance worth much less than other insurance, even if they are the same contract or form ...

From using captive counsel; to paying outside counsel on a per case basis; to refusing to settle and exposing their insureds to excess judgments; to refusing to pay 1st party claims that 95% of the other insurers are paying ...

They suck. They do not put you in "good hands" ...

I disagree.  I had State Farm car insurance for a few years and they constantly raised my prices.  Then when I bought a house they wouldn't cover it because it has a fuse box instead of circuit breakers.  I told them we were going to have that changed but they wouldn't budge so I said F'em.  I went to Allstate, and knock on wood, have had no problems.  My fiancee had a car accident and there were no problems with the claim.  Our insurance went up a little, but after a year without any claims, it dropped again.

1293510[/snapback]

I'm sure EVERY insurance company has some past disgruntled patrons/ex-patrons. A very good friend of my wife's is a regional rep for Allstate and we have had several good disussions. She couldn't explain it other than I was caught in the switches. In other words, the winter of 1978-79 in and near Chi was catastrophic (No where near the magnitude of Katrina, but catastrophic), with outside adjusters (Mine was from NY), and a NEED to 'CLOSE THE BOOKS'.

My bottom line is:

1 claim w/ Allstate in 10 years=sucky

Several claims w/ State Farm in 25+ years=GREAT, and no policy premium increases due to claims.

Read my 'I need advice' thread. I called my agent and discussed the whole situation w/ him. We talked for quite awhile. Toward the end he asked "Tom, what would you do in her situation?". I said "Chit, I'd call YOU!!!". He said "Exactly....I AM YOUR ADVOCATE!!!".

Last point.....The Agent can make all the difference in the world.