[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody remember the Challenger disaster

wiegie

Doesn't really seem like that long ago--I remember it well as at the time I was seriously considering pursuing a career in science related to the space program. ( :D )

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

I totally do. I was home sick from school. I remember being sort of frustrated that EVERY channel had coverage... so I missed out on the normal TV-watching that a 12 year old would want to do. No Price is Right? Crap! I remember going back to school the next day and everyone was telling the eventual in-poor-taste jokes. :D

Terrible tragedy that will never be forgotten - and not just 'cuz I missed out on watching game shows. :D

I totally do.  I was home sick from school.  I remember being sort of frustrated that EVERY channel had coverage... so I missed out on the normal TV-watching that a 12 year old would want to do.  No Price is Right?  Crap!  I remember going back to school the next day and everyone was telling the eventual in-poor-taste jokes.  :D

Terrible tragedy that will never be forgotten - and not just 'cuz I missed out on watching game shows.  :D

1293567[/snapback]

i was home sick too!!! missed my batman rerun and the chips/emergency hour!!!

remember calling my dad at work to tell him

i was down at the lumberyard getting materials, o.k. wood, just a normal day and a normal launch, the shuttle launches weren't even on t.v. anymore until this happened and they broke in. it did stop you in your tracks and then seeing the expressions on that teachers parents faces when it went wrong.......i remember thinking about the next crew that went up had some real balls climbing in that thing............

I was in Bellevue, Ohio at a buddy's house. I had a broken wrist (happened at work), so my wife & I decided to go see some friends. Her parents were in Fla. on vacation, and were at the launch. At the time I had a Nikkormat FTN camera with assorted Nikkor lenses; one being a 400 mm. I lent it to my in-laws for their vacation, and they took pictures of the launch. My father in law said he saw "a puff of smoke" at one point, knew something went very wrong, and immediately stopped taking pix. We still have those photos. Wish we still had my in laws.

Challenger: 20 years ago I was an 18 year old college freshman away from home for the first time. I was young, self centered, and drunk all of the time. It didn't have the impact it should have back then.

Magic: Not a big deal to me.

9/11: I was in school and another teacher told me about a plane crashing into the WTC. I turned on my TV and the second one crashed within a couple of minutes. It was between bells. There was another teacher with me and a few students were already in my room. We didn't say anything, but we looked at each other and knew it wasn't an accident.

In JR.High at the time. Getting ready for gym class when teacher came out of office and we had a moment of silence. Didn't really understand until next period when we saw the news on TV.

One thing you can say about the passengers of Callenger is that they died living a dream!!!! :D

I was sitting in a McDonalds in Madison, WI between classes. I was reading the paper, so maybe I looked like someone who would care....a complete stranger sat down at my table (almost as bad as breaking urinal etiqutte) and told me he had just seen on TV that the Space Shuttle exploded. My response, verbatim: SHUT - UP.