[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where Were You When...

darin3

Prompted by wiegie's thread regarding the Challenger disaster. Seems like we were all old enough to really remember it, where we were, etc.

With that in mind, thought it'd be interesting to share other experiences with the "where were you when..." theme.

For me, I recall several big occurances:

1. The Challenger disaster - Already discussed in the other thread, but I was home sick from 6th grade. I was ready for a day chock full of game shows and cheesy afternoon TV when I flipped around and only found news coverage.

2. Magic Johnson's AIDS announcment - Obviously this doesn't have the same type of weight as the Challenger (or the next incident) but I remember where I was. He had announced it during the day, but I remember my varsity hoops coach lining us up as practice was starting and telling us. Being in the L.A. area, it was a pretty big thing.

3. 9/11 - I was in midst of traveling back and forth from SoCal to NorCal for work... one week up there, one week down here. I was in a hotel room in the Bay Area, and had an odd feeling come over me at around 7am. I didn't get up for work - usually - until like 8 or 8:30, but for some reason, I woke up. Flipped on ESPN (of course), and saw "the bottom line" flashing info about what happened and to tune in to local news. I did, and was devastated. I watched for about 15-20 minutes and then witnessed the 2nd plane crash live. Unbelievable.

My Mom's generation has talked about events like hearing about JFK's assasination, landing on the moon, etc.

What about you? Anything stand out in your mind?

You forgot about the OJ chase!  :D

1293638[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't really remember where I was though...

I remember when the Rodney King decision came down and the craziness started up in L.A. I'm in Orange County, a good hour from all that, and my Mom wanted me to stay home. I laughed and left. Oh, and I remember playing NWA's F*** Tha Police on my stereo. :D

Magic - in college. not that monumental, more like the main news story of the day.

9/11 - heard on the radio that a "small plane" hit onme of the towers. Turned on the TV, only to see the other tower being hit. The only buffer was the camera shot was showing the first tower so the hit was behind the building, but i could see a huge fireball coming out of the side. Then i had to go to work. where all the bad news was coming in.

I remember when the Rodney King decision came down and the craziness started up in L.A.  I'm in Orange County, a good hour from all that, and my Mom wanted me to stay home.  I laughed and left.  Oh, and I remember playing NWA's F*** Tha Police on my stereo.  :D

1293640[/snapback]

A NBA championship game was going on at that time, so first they did a split screen, then turned to all OJ, even with the game still going on.

You forgot about the OJ chase!  :D

1293638[/snapback]

I remember when the Rodney King decision came down and the craziness started up in L.A.  I'm in Orange County, a good hour from all that, and my Mom wanted me to stay home.  I laughed and left.  Oh, and I remember playing NWA's F*** Tha Police on my stereo.  :D

1293640[/snapback]

A NBA championship game was going on at that time, so first they did a split screen, then turned to all OJ, even with the game still going on.

1293644[/snapback]

That's one of the events that I remember the most, just because I had a bunch of my friends over at my parents' house at the time. We we're about to play some poker when that came on the television. Needless to say we all just sat and watched in utter amazement at the bizarre low-speed chase.

Hmmm....

JKennedy assassination. Was in line for chow the day before I was to graduate from boot camp. Spent an extra two weeks before finally getting to graduate.

RKennedy assassination. Stationed in Kodiak, Alaska. Was on watch (at work) listening to the speech and then to everything that happened thereafter. Rafer and Greer should have been faster. :D

9/11. Wife and I were at Sol Duc Hot Springs. No TV's, phones, etc. On the way back from the pools someone next to our cabin was in their car listening to the radio and yelling..... took a bit to figure out was going on. Had brought a 'boom box' so went into cabin and turned it on. Absolutely ruined what had been a nice retreat.

Challenger. Stationed in Guam. Watched the launch from a sat feed. Was not a good day. :D

September 11, 2001 is all I remember, everything else is bullshucks to me since then. Worked all night on a callout after the MNF game, Den?Gints I think. Easy night that involved more beer and food than work. The 1st thing I saw was a beakerpunk post @ the warroom and didnt think much of it. Figured it was some *** in a twin prop until I turned on my cell and the messagesthat followed. Went back to work and basically for the next few days tried to find out who lived/died out of the people I knew worked in that area. As side note, to all the liberal panzy ass motherflipers who say give Hamas a chance, I would like to send you all a big flip you......Once a bombthrower, ALWAYS a flipin bombthrower...........

1. 4th grade science class. Teacher had wheeled in the a/v cart so we could all watch the launch

2. No idea. I was sophmore in HS, so probably heard it through the grapevine before any real news source.

3. On my way to work, which at the time was about 2 miles from the Pentagon. I heard the explosions.

Hmmm....

JKennedy assassination. Was in line for chow the day before I was to graduate from boot camp. Spent an extra two weeks before finally getting to graduate.

In Mrs. Erikson's six grade class. Just shot a spitball at my best friends head.  :D

RKennedy assassination. Stationed in Kodiak, Alaska. Was on watch (at work) listening to the speech and then to everything that happened thereafter. Rafer and Greer should have been faster. :D 

Geez, you know, I just don't remember.  :D

I'm thinking basketball practice.

9/11. Wife and I were at Sol Duc Hot Springs. No TV's, phones, etc. On the way back from the pools someone next to our cabin was in their car listening to the radio and yelling..... took a bit to figure out was going on. Had brought a 'boom box' so went into cabin and turned it on. Absolutely ruined what had been a nice retreat.

Working. Programming the CNC Mill.

Challenger. Stationed in Guam. Watched the launch from a sat feed. Was not a good day. :D

I was also at home sick with the flu.  :D

1293649[/snapback]

Edited by aqualung

1. The Challenger..I dont remember

2. Magic Johnson. I was in my dorm room in College.

3. 9/11 I was 20 blocks from the world trade center. My wife called me and said that the small plane that hit which everyone thought at first was a private plane that went off course was now being called a terrorist attack. I remember after the 2nd plane hit we all just were in shock.I was livid at my boss for not letting us leave. He said since they werent letting anyone leave the City he wanted us to stay..We finally left and got on line for the ferries that were running . The line was about 7 hours long. My friend had his car in the city but they wouldnt open the tunnels..Finally we got word they opened the george washington bridge..We ran to his car and got out in about 30 minutes..It was terrible..

JFK....Between classes in HS, my Bro came up to me and said "Did you hear JFK was shot?". I said "What's the punch line, I'm late for class!".

RFK.....We were watching the news!

MLK...I was getting gasoline in Cicero and the attendant was so happy to tell me, he was almost dancing! Freakin' bigot! :D

9/11....I used to set the TV in the bedroom as an alarm clock, was on vacation. TV went on, I thought I was dreaming the audio. A bud of mine, who I was going to meet 2 hours later called and said "Watch the TV, NOW!" I said " F' you! I have 2 hours left!" He said "F' you back. WATCH!!!!". I couldn't believe it, because as I watched, the second plane hit!

The others just did not get me, I guess. I do not remember. :D

JFK- 4th grade. Came back from lunch and our teacher, Mr. Williams had us all stand and recite the Pledge of Allegience. Then he told us what happened. He was crying.

MLK- In our basement playing ping pong with some buddies. Mom yelled down that MLK was shot. Nobody cried.

Suprised none of you older guys mentioned Agnew or Nixon resigning. Agnew, Nov. '73. I was at Camp Hansen, Okinawa.

Nixon resigned in Aug. '74. Was deployed on a Med cruise with 1/8 Marines. We had just gotten to Naples for some liberty the night before and the next morning were told we had to leave port (USS Trenton). At sea it was announced that the Prez had resigned.

Challenger- Was delivering some f'n New Coke to an account and they had the TV on. Saw it go.

9/11 Just got to school and another teacher told me to turn the TV on, a small plane had hit one of the towers...

Challenger - saw it on TV after school ( grammar school )

Magic - same thing but was in highschool already i beleive

9/11- was in NYC , worked about 40 blocks away ...had to walk a bunch and got over 59th street bridge where my dad picked me up ( he lives in queens )

left after i saw First tower come down first hand ...changed my life ( and i am sure almost all Americans lives ) forever ...sense of security and invincibility was shattered....when I got home i hugged my wife and kids so hard i almost hurt them by accident ...it was one of saddest days of my life ( worse for others who lost loved ones - which i feel so badly for )

New Yorkers really pulled together though as did rest of nation ...i actually went back to NYC and work the next day ...would not let those fatherless male terrorists cowards , change my way of life or allow me to live in fear

I also remember the night we began bombing Iraq in the first Gulf War ...that was a surreal feeling as I was driving listening to 1010 wins radio ...never lived through a war growing up and suddenly at 21 , here we were actually in a war ...was so releived when we won that war so quickly with mush less casualties that many expected to see

This latest war breaks my heart ... wish those troops could come home to their families and end this nightmare

Prompted by wiegie's thread regarding the Challenger disaster.  Seems like we were all old enough to really remember it, where we were, etc.

With that in mind, thought it'd be interesting to share other experiences with the "where were you when..." theme.

For me, I recall several big occurances:

1.  The Challenger disaster - Already discussed in the other thread, but I was home sick from 6th grade.  I was ready for a day chock full of game shows and cheesy afternoon TV when I flipped around and only found news coverage.

2.  Magic Johnson's AIDS announcment - Obviously this doesn't have the same type of weight as the Challenger (or the next incident) but I remember where I was.  He had announced it during the day, but I remember my varsity hoops coach lining us up as practice was starting and telling us.  Being in the L.A. area, it was a pretty big thing.

3.  9/11 - I was in midst of traveling back and forth from SoCal to NorCal for work... one week up there, one week down here.  I was in a hotel room in the Bay Area, and had an odd feeling come over me at around 7am.  I didn't get up for work - usually - until like 8 or 8:30, but for some reason, I woke up.  Flipped on ESPN (of course), and saw "the bottom line" flashing info about what happened and to tune in to local news.  I did, and was devastated.  I watched for about 15-20 minutes and then witnessed the 2nd plane crash live.  Unbelievable. 

My Mom's generation has talked about events like hearing about JFK's assasination, landing on the moon, etc.

What about you?  Anything stand out in your mind?

1293633[/snapback]

yeah, i dont have any big memories for any of those. i wasnt alive for the challenger, i was too young for the magic johnson thing, and i didnt find out about 9/11 until 5 hours after it happened.

yeah, i dont have any big memories for any of those. i wasnt alive for the challenger, i was too young for the magic johnson thing, and i didnt find out about 9/11 until 5 hours after it happened.

1293798[/snapback]

I hate to say it, but your time WILL come! :D

True ...  :D

But do your best to enjoy your days , especially those of your youth before the heavy stuff piles on

1293807[/snapback]

Seriously...the heavy chit is gone! I appreciate EVERY DAY! My youth....I still relive it 2-3 times a year w/ my reunion chit. Isle, not disin' you, but I hope you have as happy a life as I have I had! :D Actually, I wish that upon all of you! I have no regrets and no complaints! :D

i am good ..real good ..very happily married with 4 kids ...great parents and inlaws and a very good job ...life is great and I feel blessed

i was just commenting that seminoles is still a young guy and life was easier as a youth ..less worries , less stress and some lesser responsibilites ...and even as an american there was less fear ( terrorism , etc )

but like i said , its all good for me ... :D and I am greatly thankful to the BIG MAN upstairs

9/11...had just walked into office when the 1st plane hit. office was 2 blocks from sears tower. when second plane hit, boss came out and told everyone to leave. we worked with stocks and bonds so he knew the nyse wasnt going to be open. plus there were rumors that a plane was heading for the sears tower. went to my aprtment with a buddy and my bro and tried to get ahold of my fathers family. they are from nyc and both cousins worked in manhattan...very scary and surreal day. the weirdest thing was the empty skies....no planes anywhere except for the occasional f16 patrolling...

we were off work for the next few days until the nyse came back.