[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where Were You When...

darin3

JFK-In grade school, the teacher came in, she had been crying and told us the President had been shot and they were sending us home. I looked over at the little girl sitting next to me and told her I wish it had been me that got shot instead of the President. She said she wished it had been me too. Walked home with my best friend and we got into a wrestling match, I threw him down on the side walk and he chipped his tooth. When it rains it pours I guess.

Challenger- I was off that day and watched it at home.

Magic-Didn't even cross my radar screen.

9/11- Heard bits and pieces of it on the radio on the way to work. Got to work and turned on the tv in time to see the second plane crash in to the tower.

Robert Kennedy- Saw the story on the news.

First man on the moon- Watched it in the den with my mom, dad, brother and sister.

First man on the moon- Watched it in the den with my mom, dad, brother and sister.

1293869[/snapback]

:doah: Can't believe no one mentioned it sooner. We were at the neighbors. Went outside and looked at the moon and stared in awe.

OJ Chase: I was at a bar watching Knicks / Rockets I believe, funny shiznit.

Challenger: Grade School, probably 3rd grade or so.

9/11: At work, we had TV's in the bullpen area so needless to say we were consumed all day. Was worried about my buddy as he's a pilot for a smaller carrier. He flew out of Philly that morning. Heavy.

Magic: ??? No clue.

OJ Verdict: In my apt at college, funny shiznit again.

Can't think of any other big events.

The Challenger Disaster ... I was in a church gym at the basketball game of one of my children. The news was on in the rec room and we crowded around and watched.

Magic Johnson's announcement ... I have no clue ... not being a fan of the NBA as far as I was concerned it was just another person with aids ... so what.

9/11 ... I was on the tail-end of pulling a 24 hour shift at work (rescue/maintenance mode). When I got home I managed to watch the news for a bit before crashing.

JFK died when I was less than a year old

OJ Chase - at my high-school gf's house getting some of the first nookie of my young life. i always got horny when i saw OJ after that... what?

Magic's AIDS (?) - my high school bus driver told us the news as we got in the cheesbox that rocks after school. i told her it was probably false. ha. actually, i still don't believe it. look at the guy.

9/11 - i was just out of college and jobless and living with a psyco gf. i was sleeping in when superballa called to inform me. i stayed glued to the tv for... oh... about 1 week.

JFK - I was 1..... my mom said we were in a grocery store in Vermillion SD..... it came over the loud speaker..... everyone started bawling in ths store.

RFK - I was 6...... probably playing with my matchbox or lincoln logs. :D

man on the moon - watching walter cronkite announce it live - i remember it vividly.

challenger - I was working nights at the time...... I watched it live as it happened @ home.

OJ - had just moved to seattle....... was in my apartment - LMMFAO. :D

OJ - verdict - I was driving from spokane to Seattle across the mountains....... i just about drove off a 3000 cliff when I heard, "not guilty". :D:D

9/11 - I had just dropped the twins off @ the daycare - early...... like 5:30-5:45. I had the radio on in the car. there was no news when I took them in...... and when I got back to the car it was just being reported. I drove into work in time to see the 2nd. plane hit. :D

The Challenger Disaster ... I was in a church gym at the basketball game of one of my children.  The news was on in the rec room and we crowded around and watched.

1293934[/snapback]

I think you meant columbia ? :D .... the challenger was in 1986. :D

unless blitz has some kids we all don't know about. :D:D

:D

1. 4th grade science class.  Teacher had wheeled in the a/v cart so we could all watch the launch

1293685[/snapback]

1. Same here, we were watching the launch. I still remember the shock on everyone's faces.

2. Not to sound cruel, but I wasn't really as affected by this as I would be with any of these other tragedies. I really can't remember what was going on at the time.

3. I was working nights at the time and I had just gotten up with my little girl. She was her normal rambunctious self, but all I could do was stand there staring at the TV sobbing in disblief and anger.

I'll add one to that. I remember the day the first Gulf War broke out. I was working part time at Sears service dept while I was in college. We had all the TV's on in the shop & everyone stood around watching the explosions.

Anyone remember where they were the last time the firkin Vikes were in the Super Bowl? Been so darn long most probably were not alive!

1294033[/snapback]

I remember coming home from a church league basketball game and watching the Chiefs kick their assses in IV, lol. Joe Kapp. Heehaa.

Prompted by wiegie's thread regarding the Challenger disaster.  Seems like we were all old enough to really remember it, where we were, etc.

With that in mind, thought it'd be interesting to share other experiences with the "where were you when..." theme.

For me, I recall several big occurances:

1.  The Challenger disaster - Already discussed in the other thread, but I was home sick from 6th grade.  I was ready for a day chock full of game shows and cheesy afternoon TV when I flipped around and only found news coverage.

2.  Magic Johnson's AIDS announcment - Obviously this doesn't have the same type of weight as the Challenger (or the next incident) but I remember where I was.  He had announced it during the day, but I remember my varsity hoops coach lining us up as practice was starting and telling us.  Being in the L.A. area, it was a pretty big thing.

3.  9/11 - I was in midst of traveling back and forth from SoCal to NorCal for work... one week up there, one week down here.  I was in a hotel room in the Bay Area, and had an odd feeling come over me at around 7am.  I didn't get up for work - usually - until like 8 or 8:30, but for some reason, I woke up.  Flipped on ESPN (of course), and saw "the bottom line" flashing info about what happened and to tune in to local news.  I did, and was devastated.  I watched for about 15-20 minutes and then witnessed the 2nd plane crash live.  Unbelievable. 

My Mom's generation has talked about events like hearing about JFK's assasination, landing on the moon, etc.

What about you?  Anything stand out in your mind?

1293633[/snapback]

Challenger: McDonalds

Magic Johnson: Not a big deal...have no memory of finding out for sure - it had been rumored for a while

9/11: I was in bed...my admin called to tell me...jumped up and turned the TV on, called the kids and told them they had to watch.

JFK: Was in my mother's womb. I was named after JFK.

OJ Chase: I was in my family room in Salt Lake City. Loved the whole OJ story.

Challenger - I was in third grade. We watched it live.

Magic - I was in ninth grade a t basketball practice. I was crushed, he was my idol.

9/11 - I was in class at law school. This chick came running in and said that a plane hit the Pentagon. Class was cancelled.

OJ - I just got home from umpiring a game and was trying to watch the Knicks/Bulls Eastern Conference Finals. I was pissed at OJ and AC.

9/11-- we have plane tickets on 9/11. My wife and I were leaving our honeymoon in Hawaii on that day. Unfortunately we got an extra week in paradise when all we wanted to be was home in LA. Not as great as it sounds as I felt extremely disconnected from the mainland.

9/11-- we have plane tickets on 9/11.  My wife and I were leaving our honeymoon in Hawaii on that day.  Unfortunately we got an extra week in paradise when all we wanted to be was home in LA.  Not as great as it sounds as I felt extremely disconnected from the mainland.

1294607[/snapback]

Strange, I seem to remember a friend of mine was in Hawaii - or some other tropical locale - when 9/11 went down. :D

I was in the Bay Area (for work). Ended up riding back down to LA with a work buddy who rented a car for the weekend.

I was at work when both 9/11 and OJ verdict hit, but I saw the Bronco chase at home after work on tv. I was sure that OJ was going to end it right there. On 9/11 I first heard it on the radio and that station never cuts in with breaking news. Seriously, I went to The Huddle to see if they had anything (of course they did). Then I went to my barbershop nearby and saw on tv the second plane hit the other tower. This is also where I saw the OJ verdict.

This phenomenon is known as a "flashbulb memory" - the events are so earthshaking that you in essence unconsciously capture where you were and what you were doing at the time.

The ones that stick out in my mind are 9/11, the Challenger, and Princess Di (have no idea why I remember that one).

Challenger - 6th grade class, watching on tv.

Magic - Locker room after football practice.

OJ chase - in the upper peninsula fishing/drinking.

9/11 - Towards the end of my planning period, another teacher was watching it, so we sat around and watched it. The rest of the day, we watched the coverage. My brother in law flew into NYC earlier that morning. My sister was a little crazy until she heard from him.

This one may not be as prevelant, but when Hank Gathers collapsed and died. I was at my uncle's in Kalamazoo when I heard, and remember watching Bo Kimble shoot left handed free throws in his honor.

This phenomenon is known as a "flashbulb memory" - the events are so earthshaking that you in essence unconsciously capture where you were and what you were doing at the time.

The ones that stick out in my mind are 9/11, the Challenger, and Princess Di (have no idea why I remember that one).

1294728[/snapback]

Princess Di incident was very late at night. We had friends over that Sat. night and saw it unfold on tv. We didn't have much to say. She was about our age.

Edited by MikesVikes