[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTv HD Rebate

Kid Cid

For those of you thinking that you might at some point in the future switch to High Definition service from DirecTv, nows the time to take the first step down that road. Through the month of February, DirecTv is offering a $200 rebate on the H20 High Definition Satellite Receiver. Since the cost of the receiver is $200, this means the device is free to you! :D

Even if you don't want to upgrade ot HD service, this is a really good unit with excellent picture quality, allows for you to pick up your local HD channels and integrate them directly into the Guide on screen, has on screen caller ID for you phone, and works with any existing DirecTv service. The only catch is that you must make a 2 year commitment to DirecTv to get the rebate. Since I plan on staying with D* as long as they have the Sunday Ticket, this wasn't too much of a burden on me.

At the least, it is a free upgrade to an older receiver you may have, it is worth checking out.

Good info Cid!

Please make sure when/if you do this, that you get the H20 (MPEG4) and not the H10 (MPEG2). I've seen some of the box stores advertising deals as H10-or-H20. For those going the HD DVR route, the HR10-250 (MPEG2) is the only HD DVR offered by DirecTV at this time. This is a TiVo based DVR and over time will become obso.

The HR20-*** is the new MPEG4 HD DVR and will not be Tivo based. DirecTV is rumored to be phasing out Tivo's and be offering their own.

Also make sure the installer put in the new 5 lnb dish.

Good info Cid!

Please make sure when/if you do this, that you get the H20 (MPEG4) and not the H10 (MPEG2). I've seen some of the box stores advertising deals as H10-or-H20. For those going the HD DVR route, the HR10-250 (MPEG2) is the only HD DVR offered by DirecTV at this time. This is a TiVo based DVR and over time will become obso.

The HR20-*** is the new MPEG4 HD DVR and will not be Tivo based. DirecTV is rumored to be phasing out Tivo's and be offering their own.

1295401[/snapback]

Not sure I understand how or why the Tivo would be obsolete. So DirecTV won't be making it....you are saying DirecTV is going to put Tivo out of business?

Not sure I understand how or why the Tivo would be obsolete.  So DirecTV won't be making it....you are saying DirecTV is going to put Tivo out of business?

1295485[/snapback]

The HR10-250 is MPEG2. Once DirecTV fully converts to MPEG4 signals (could be awhile - sometime 2007), the HR10-250 will be useless as far as receiving a sat signal. It does have an ATSC tuner so you could still get OTA for your HD signals from local networks. And for clarification, this is only the HD Tivo and not standalone Tivo boxes.

DirecTV has a 3rd party building their own PVR to receive MPEG4. This would be the HR20-250. They had a proto at CES this year. Rumor has it that the DirecTV/Tivo relationship as far as new hardware is concerned will end. I doubt this means that DirecTV will put Tivo out of business. It will certainly hurt though.

DirecTV has a 3rd party building their own PVR to receive MPEG4. This would be the HR20-250. They had a proto at CES this year. Rumor has it that the DirecTV/Tivo relationship as far as new hardware is concerned will end.

1295504[/snapback]

Well, I think I will take a wait and see approach. When DirecTV-Tivo announced at CES they were finally going to make an HD compatible Tivo/DirecTV box, I think it took nearly 3 years to actually hit the market at $1000.

What is the story on the 5 LNB's....is that a requirement for MPEG4?

Well, I think I will take a wait and see approach.  When DirecTV-Tivo announced at CES they were finally going to make an HD compatible Tivo/DirecTV box, I think it took nearly 3 years to actually hit the market at $1000. 

What is the story on the 5 LNB's....is that a requirement for MPEG4?

1295518[/snapback]

No, the 5LNB dish is so that you can access the two additional satellites that D* has put up. The most important aspect of this is the local stations to your market being sent by sat in HD.

Good info Cid!

1295401[/snapback]

Spoke with a DTV installer last week, and he said a "rumor" is going around that all HR10-250 will be replaced for free. Considering I just spent $400 dollars on this last month, I'm happy to hear this. However, I'm sure there'll be some sort of installation fee for the 5-LNB dish.

Spoke with a DTV  installer last week, and he said a "rumor" is going around that all HR10-250 will be replaced for free.  Considering I just spent $400 dollars on this last month, I'm happy to hear this.  However, I'm sure there'll be some sort of installation fee for the 5-LNB dish.

1295532[/snapback]

Well, they did ping me $120 for the dish. Plus whatever special stuff it's gonna take to mount this thing. It is a heavy mother.

Spoke with a DTV  installer last week, and he said a "rumor" is going around that all HR10-250 will be replaced for free.  Considering I just spent $400 dollars on this last month, I'm happy to hear this.  However, I'm sure there'll be some sort of installation fee for the 5-LNB dish.

1295532[/snapback]

At least free is the talk. I've had my HR10-250 for almost a year now. I spent $700 for it but also got DirecTV to give me a $200 programming credit. I'll hold out with this until we start seeing stations other than locals added to D*'s HD offerings (NESN-HD, TNT-HD, etc.). Luckily I can get all my Boston locals OTA with the HR10-250. I'm hoping I can get D* to install the new dish for free when it's time.

Well, they did ping me $120 for the dish. Plus whatever special stuff it's gonna take to mount this thing. It is a heavy mother.

1295535[/snapback]

Heavy it is. If I have to put one up myself I'm not looking forward to it. I will most certainly have to relocate it for line of site reasons. Plus new cable runs. :D

Is the 5 LNB dish compatible with the "old" tuner, or will it only work with the new HR20? I just got a OTA and am only semi-pleased with the HD reception of locals.

Is the 5 LNB dish compatible with the "old" tuner, or will it only work with the new HR20?  I just got a OTA and am only semi-pleased with the HD reception of locals.

1295605[/snapback]

The AT9 (5 lnb) will work with both.

Is the 5 LNB dish compatible with the "old" tuner, or will it only work with the new HR20?  I just got a OTA and am only semi-pleased with the HD reception of locals.

1295605[/snapback]

Certianly you can use the 5 LNB dish with and older tuner, I'm just wondering what you're trying to get out of it. Just because it works doesn't mean you'll get something you haven't gotten before.

Certianly you can use the 5 LNB dish with and older tuner, I'm just wondering what you're trying to get out of it. Just because it works doesn't mean you'll get something you haven't gotten before.

1295617[/snapback]

Well, I am presuming that the 5 LNB dish will give me the locals in HD without the pixelation and hesitation I sometimes get while using the OTA. Is that not correct?

Well, I am presuming that the 5 LNB dish will give me the locals in HD without the pixelation and hesitation I sometimes get while using the OTA.  Is that not correct?

1295640[/snapback]

Only if you have the HD package from D*. I don't believe you get the locals in HD with just the local package. I could be wrong though.

Only if you have the HD package from D*. I don't believe you get the locals in HD with just the local package. I could be wrong though.

1295656[/snapback]

I have the HD package. I get ESPNHD, HBOHD, etc. just fine....it is the locals that come in crappy.

I have the HD package.  I get ESPNHD, HBOHD, etc. just fine....it is the locals that come in crappy.

1295660[/snapback]

Then if you're in a market that has the locals in HD and D* carries them (only 12 in the first go round), the 5 LNB dish should work wonders.

Edited by Kid Cid

Is the H20-250 expected to be out before the NFL 2006 season?

I was going to upgrade to HD for the next season, still trying to find if my JVC AV-36F702 is truely HD TV ready and worth spending the cash to get HDTV.

1295735[/snapback]

The NFL in HD is the best application of the technology out there.....

Well, I am presuming that the 5 LNB dish will give me the locals in HD without the pixelation and hesitation I sometimes get while using the OTA.  Is that not correct?

1295640[/snapback]

You also need the receiver for HD locals.

1295656[/snapback]

Correct.

I have the HD package.  I get ESPNHD, HBOHD, etc. just fine....it is the locals that come in crappy.

1295660[/snapback]

Are these the HD locals via OTA? If so this is a problem with your OTA reception and not DirecTV related.

To receive HD locals (not the NY/LA national feeds - ch 80-89) via DirecTV you need the H20 but that is only a receiver and not a DVR. And your specific market needs to be rolled out for MPEG4.

The only DirecTV local signals you can receive with the HR10-250 are standard definition. And yes they stink compared to OTA HD signals.

Is the H20-250 expected to be out before the NFL 2006 season?

I was going to upgrade to HD for the next season, still trying to find if my JVC AV-36F702 is truely HD TV ready and worth spending the cash to get HDTV.

1295735[/snapback]

That's HR20-250 and hopefully by mid year 2006.

You also need the receiver for HD locals.

Correct.

Are these the HD locals via OTA? If so this is a problem with your OTA reception and not DirecTV related.

To receive HD locals (not the NY/LA national feeds - ch 80-89) via DirecTV you need the H20 but that is only a receiver and not a DVR. And your specific market needs to be rolled out for MPEG4.

The only DirecTV local signals you can receive with the HR10-250 are standard definition. And yes they stink compared to OTA HD signals.

1295754[/snapback]

I believe to answer your question:

I have a DirecTV/HD/Tivo receiver. Can't remember the model number. It was the first one they came out with in November of 2004. Got it the first day they were available (got my Treo 600 the first day they were available too....I am a gadget kinda guy). I get most of my HD channels through DirecTV satellite...only the locals via the OTA.

FYI

The first 12 markets that D* is rolling out HD local stations to are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa, Fla.

If you live in one of these TV markets, you have the local stations available in HD. If not, then you have to wait until your market gets added.

I believe to answer your question:

I have a DirecTV/HD/Tivo receiver.  Can't remember the model number.  It was the first one they came out with in November of 2004.  Got it the first day they were available (got my Treo 600 the first day they were available too....I am a gadget kinda guy).  I get most of my HD channels through DirecTV satellite...only the locals via the OTA.

1295763[/snapback]

Did you try requesting waivers for the national HD channels? I was granted CBS, NBC, and Fox. ABC was denied. Depending on where you could be granted the NY or LA nationals. These sit just above HDNet and HDNet Movies starting at channel 80.

It's worth a shot if you OTA HD is spotty. Just tell them you cannot receive OTA.

Did you try requesting waivers for the national HD channels? I was granted CBS, NBC, and Fox. ABC was denied. Depending on where you could be granted the NY or LA nationals. These sit just above HDNet and HDNet Movies starting at channel 80.

It's worth a shot if you OTA HD is spotty. Just tell them you cannot receive OTA.

1295837[/snapback]

Bustard! They denied all my requests.