[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Captial One is a bunch

cliaz

Just received a notice in the mail that they are raising their rates. Not because of anything we have done. They've decided that they aren't making enough money.

If you have capital one you should be receiving something in the mail.

Where is Tyler Durden when you need him to blow up their buildings.

Just received a notice in the mail that they are raising their rates.  Not because of anything we have done.  They've decided that they aren't making enough money.

If you have capital one you should be receiving something in the mail.

Where is Tyler Durden when you need him to blow up their buildings.

1296195[/snapback]

Call and complain. Tell them you're closing your account. See how fast they adjust your rates. If not, take one of the 600 "0% finance charge for the first year" credit card apps that you received in teh mail this month and move your money and payment to that. The only way to send a message is with cash.

Edited by Kid Cid

capital one is obsessed with trying to get me (and everyone else) to get one of their cards. i absolutely love pitching the mailings from them i get each week. they are preying on the financially weak minded by getting them hooked on their credit, plain and simple. gloss it up behind some viking ads and david spade, but at the heart of it is their desire to get you thousands of dollars in debt so they can sap you for all the interest they can get.

i detest this spamming bohemeth, and recommend that everyone who has one of these cards cancel it immediately.

There is an ex-friend of mine that works at Capital One. We got into a fight before a volleyball match. He was trying to jump serve when the league rules clearly said you couldn't and I kicked his ass cause of it (and people think I couldn't destroy Skins for worse). Anyways, we have lots of mutual friends and he showed up at our last home poker game. I can kill him for you as revenge if you like. Just lemme know.

Call and complain. Tell them you're closing your account. See how fast they adjust your rates. If not, take one of the 600 "0% finance charge for the first year" credit card apps that you received in teh mail this month and move your money and payment to that. The only way to send a message is with cash.

1296221[/snapback]

They sent with the notice a accept or do not accept the changes notice. If we do not accept the change they will close out account and then we have 12 months to pay off the balance. If we do not pay it off in 12 months, they jack the rate up to 19.9%.

They sent with the notice a accept or do not accept the changes notice.  If we do not accept the change they will close out account and then we have 12 months to pay off the balance.  If we do not pay it off in 12 months, they jack the rate up to 19.9%.

1296258[/snapback]

Exactly. Pay it off with a balance transfer to one of those 0% jobbies I was talking about. F em. They get no interest from you. In fact, if you play the shuffle accounts game well enough, you can not pay a dime of interest on any outstanding debt. You do have to make a real effort to pay it down though.

Not defending Capital One here (in fact I just trashed them in another thread about businesses you would not recommend) but I am curious... did the raise in your rates have anything to do with this?

Most national banks have raised their minimum monthly payments on credit cards from 2% to 4% in the last few months. This doubles a lot of people's monthly payments, and obviously some people can't afford it. If it's because of that, then there is not much you can do about it unfortunately.

Most national banks have raised their minimum monthly payments on credit cards from 2% to 4% in the last few months.  This doubles a lot of people's monthly payments, and obviously some people can't afford it.  If it's because of that, then there is not much you can do about it unfortunately.

1296334[/snapback]

i believe they were required by law to raise them. the goal is to try and speed up getting people out of debt.

i believe they were required by law to raise them.  the goal is to try and speed up getting people out of debt.

1296336[/snapback]

Not by law, but definitely under a lot of pressure (threat of penalties) from the government. And yes, the goal is a good one, but the immediate effect for some people living paycheck to paycheck could be quite difficult.

I have a Capital One VISA and I must say I have been satisfied.

It's no annual fee. :D

I get about 1% cash back (credited to my account at the end of the year). :D

I pay off my balance at the end of each month so I can say F Off to the interest rates. I don't know what mine is to tell the truth.

I don't really like the stigma attached to a Capital One card though (since they seem to market to poor credit risks). Some of my friends noticed it and made fun of me and it hurt my feelings. :D

Do any of y'all know of a better VISA? I know Costco has an AMEX that is better than this but AMEX isn't as well accepted as VISA.

My criteria are 1. Cash back and 2. No annual fee. What I'm looking for is "no stigma."

Do any of y'all know of a better VISA?  I know Costco has an AMEX that is better than this but AMEX isn't as well accepted as VISA.

My criteria are 1. Cash back and 2.  No annual fee.  What I'm looking for is "no stigma."

1296374[/snapback]

I have the Bank of America Power Rewards visa. It gives you "reward points" for every dollar, and %5 on gas (this is a more recent addition and I don't really use it cuz I have a discover card that does the same). You can use the points to get free crap. It was listed as one of the top 10 cards to have in some financial magazine middle of last year. Not sure if you consider the "get free crap" thing as cash back, but it's a pretty good card w/ no annual fee.

capital one is obsessed with trying to get me (and everyone else) to get one of their cards.  i absolutely love pitching the mailings from them i get each week.  they are preying on the financially weak minded by getting them hooked on their credit, plain and simple.  gloss it up behind some viking ads and david spade, but at the heart of it is their desire to get you thousands of dollars in debt so they can sap you for all the interest they can get.

i detest this spamming bohemeth, and recommend that everyone who has one of these cards cancel it immediately.

1296233[/snapback]

For about a year, I sent every single one of those things back to the credit card company. I use their return envelope, write NO THANKS on it, and send it ALL back. The ads, the application, even the envelope it came it. Sometimes I'd throw in some other junk mail for fun. It took a while, but they got the hint. I don't get ANY credit card apps anymore. They don't want to pay the postage, so they take you off their list. Saves you the trouble of cutting them all up.

For about a year, I sent every single one of those things back to the credit card company.  I use their return envelope, write NO THANKS on it, and send it ALL back.  The ads, the application, even the envelope it came it.  Sometimes I'd throw in some other junk mail for fun.  It took a while, but they got the hint.  I don't get ANY credit card apps anymore.  They don't want to pay the postage, so they take you off their list.  Saves you the trouble of cutting them all up.

1296442[/snapback]

:D

great idea. i'm too lazy, however, to do it.

For about a year, I sent every single one of those things back to the credit card company.  I use their return envelope, write NO THANKS on it, and send it ALL back.  The ads, the application, even the envelope it came it.  Sometimes I'd throw in some other junk mail for fun.  It took a while, but they got the hint.  I don't get ANY credit card apps anymore.  They don't want to pay the postage, so they take you off their list.  Saves you the trouble of cutting them all up.

1296442[/snapback]

:D

great idea.  i'm too lazy, however, to do it.

1296444[/snapback]

I've tried doing this. It doesn't work. At least not with Chase. In fact, nothing works with these bassturds. I have called them twice asking to be removed from their mailing list. I still get the crap.

I've tried doing this.  It doesn't work.  At least not with Chase.  In fact, nothing works with these bassturds.  I have called them twice asking to be removed from their mailing list.  I still get the crap.

1296452[/snapback]

There is a number or Address your can use to opt out, I get none in the mail anymore. I'll have to see if I can dig it up, although I thought I got it from here.

I've tried doing this.  It doesn't work.  At least not with Chase.  In fact, nothing works with these bassturds.  I have called them twice asking to be removed from their mailing list.  I still get the crap.

1296452[/snapback]

Chase took the longest. I actually had to start putting other stuff in the envelopes to make them heavier. They don't send them anymore. . .