[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Backup Options for Home Computer?

Dr. Love

Lots of good advice here.

I would have said DVD burner right away as well.  An external HD does have its appeal as well.  If you went with an imaging program like Ghost, I wonder what that image would compress down to.  Ghost used to come with Ghost Explorer that you could use to look through .gho files. 

I think getting an external HD and running a script is a slick and extremely simple way to do it.

I run a RAID 5 on my server and back up my %username% data files to the server via script.

I can almost remember the days when I could image my machine and send to a 2GB Jazz drive and it would fit with room to spare.

1296432[/snapback]

Ghost images definitely shrink down the image size, however most multimedia files do not get reduced significantly.

You know what RAID is, but can't figure out how to backup 15 GB of data? :D

1296425[/snapback]

It's not that I couldn't figure out a way to do it, I just know that it's likely that I don't know the best way to do it.

By the way, it's not like I could set up a RAID blindfolded or anything, I just happen to be familiar with the concept.

It's not that I couldn't figure out a way to do it, I just know that it's likely that I don't know the best way to do it.

By the way, it's not like I could set up a RAID blindfolded or anything, I just happen to be familiar with the concept.

1296464[/snapback]

I'm just bustin your chops. It's all good man.

Don't underestimate H8Tank, he can bring out the Dill Josh Gordon in anyone.

1296446[/snapback]

I can tell. I don't know if he's fishing for an argument or what. F him, I don't care.

Nah, he just pretty much thinks you're a douchebreath. At least those have been his historical tendencies.

1296474[/snapback]

LOL. Thanks for the info Hugh. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

While you're at it, why don't you draw up a disaster recovery plan for him? You need to chill the F out man.

1296434[/snapback]

:pulls up chair and bowl of popcorn:

1296438[/snapback]

:D

OK morans, I'll add a little something to this...how about a dual layer DVD? Twice the storage capacity of a DVD. :thatshouldconfusethingsmorenow:

Anyway, I have an internal 200GB Ultra ATA Seagate that I got for $58 (new with a mail in rebate) and use Acronis to make back up images every few weeks or so. No, it isn't mobile, but it does only take about 40 minutes to create a complete image of my bootable hard drive. That...and the 7 years I've owned a computer, I've never needed a back up! Call me lucky...but now I at least have a back up which I would never have considered in the past.

There are some pretty slick external hard drives out there with back up software all ready to go for the not so tech savvy.

OK morans, I'll add a little something to this...how about a dual layer DVD?  Twice the storage capacity of a DVD. :thatshouldconfusethingsmorenow:

Anyway, I have an internal 200GB Ultra ATA Seagate that I got for $58 (new with a mail in rebate) and use Acronis to make back up images every few weeks or so.  No, it isn't mobile, but it does only take about 40 minutes to create a complete image of my bootable hard drive.  That...and the 7 years I've owned a computer, I've never needed a back up!  Call me lucky...but now I at least have a back up which I would never have considered in the past. 

There are some pretty slick external hard drives out there with back up software all ready to go for the not so tech savvy.

1296521[/snapback]

good info and yes that will probably add to the confusion. rofl.

Because of the expense... several dollars per disc vs. $.20... dikbreath, why don't you go sit on douchebreaths face.

1296746[/snapback]

My wife's asking me why I'm giggling like a school girl. I was going to try to explain, but after reviewing the subject content, decided against it. :D

Classic. :D

Hey Ursa, got any beer left?

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Because of the expense... several dollars per disc vs. $.20... dikbreath, why don't you go sit on douchebreaths face.

1296746[/snapback]

:putting beer and popcorn down:

Well, noone mentioned anything about price!

And...I don't wanna make you jealous...:ducks:

Just a question, but why do you need to back up the .mp3's more than once anyway. Burn all of them to DVD's, and you only need to backup the other files on a regular basis.

Quickest and easiest is good software and a DVD burner. It should take about 4-5 DVDs to back off all your data.

The other "easy" way to handle it is to get another hard drive and have a script that executes each day copy your data over to the second hard drive (a cheap man's RAID)

There are other more complex and expensive schemes that can be used, but most are overkill for what your trying to do.

1296382[/snapback]

You have so many options these days, here are a few:

1. USB pen drive, up to a few gig. These cost around $100, plug right into your usb port, and you can just copy and paste into it.

2. External hard drive. Same as above.

3. Backup scripts. I have one that I can send you. It backs up everything in "My Documents", MS Outlook, and your Favorites.

4. CD/DVD burners.

1296387[/snapback]

That's the best option as far as I'm concerned.  My kid bought a 250GB external for ~$130 a couple weeks ago. 

Backup scripts can be got from the Internet, or simply use xcopy with a few switches and schedule it to run every night.

1296406[/snapback]

All good suggestions. As an ex- backup/disaster recovery I find it unnerving that people do not backup their home PCs. Any of these suggestions listed above are great ideas. Another one would be to look into the nortons ghost.

Just a question, but why do you need to back up the .mp3's more than once anyway. Burn all of them to DVD's, and you only need to backup the other files on a regular basis.

1296776[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking all along... but I didn't have any popcorn or beer to bring to the show so kept my mouth shut.

Put all my mp3's on CD's... made a second set just in case... and now only have to back up very little once a week.

That's what I was thinking all along... but I didn't have any popcorn or beer to bring to the show so kept my mouth shut.

1296872[/snapback]

We could have used some pretzels or peanuts or something. Maybe some nachos. Next time, just pull up a chair and join in.

We could have used some pretzels or peanuts or something.  Maybe some nachos.  Next time, just pull up a chair and join in.

1296880[/snapback]

Roger that Ursa... will keep that in mind. :D

Forgot about the can of almonds.... but they are gone now. *sigh*

1296746[/snapback]

You're an angry guy huh? Take a deep breath and exhale. Do this for 10 minutes a day, you'll live longer.