[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anyone like french onion soup?

Bier Meister

^^^

at request of a couple of huddlers

Last time I made FO soup I had a distinct problem. I put the baguette on top, put the cheese on top of that, put it in the broiler. . . .and the bread and cheese sunk to the bottom! No crusty melted cheese. Just a stringy mass at the bottom of the crock.

How do I prevent that?

hmmm.... i really haven't seen much sinking of crostini....

type of bowl?

how thick are crostini?

how many can fit in bowl?

how much cheese?

i have always toast the crostini (without cheese) first... then in bowl... then spread shreaded gruyere... then under broiler... i have done slices of cheese and it works just as well

hmmm.... i really haven't seen much sinking of crostini....

type of bowl?

how thick are crostini?

how many can fit in bowl?

how much cheese?

i have always toast the crostini (without cheese) first... then in bowl... then spread shreaded gruyere... then under broiler... i have done slices of cheese and it works just as well

I have a set of 4 of these (MAN do I have too much time before MNF!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12227042@N05/1356025233/

Got 'em off e-bay for a buck a piece.

If I remember right, last time I made the crostini out of french baguette cut into thick slices, so something in the range of 3 inch rounds. Just one per bowl. I thought my big mistake was using shredded cheese rather than sliced, but I gather that you use shredded too. I was thinking the secret was to use slices that overlap the edges of the bowl so it doesn't sink and it has that "melted around the sides of the bowl" thing going on that's oh so much fun to peel and eat.

Damn. . .I'm hungry.

I have a set of 4 of these (MAN do I have too much time before MNF!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12227042@N05/1356025233/

Got 'em off e-bay for a buck a piece.

If I remember right, last time I made the crostini out of french baguette cut into thick slices, so something in the range of 3 inch rounds. Just one per bowl. I thought my big mistake was using shredded cheese rather than sliced, but I gather that you use shredded too. I was thinking the secret was to use slices that overlap the edges of the bowl so it doesn't sink and it has that "melted around the sides of the bowl" thing going on that's oh so much fun to peel and eat.

Damn. . .I'm hungry.

Now I've seen everything. Most men measure their cock, not their crock.

French Onion Soup Chemistry: I know this sounds off the rocker, but whenever I have good French Onion soup (and it's been a while now) I get lightheaded and slightly nauseous afterwards. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the main reason I can't eat it.

I have no known food allergies either.

French Onion Soup Chemistry: I know this sounds off the rocker, but whenever I have good French Onion soup (and it's been a while now) I get lightheaded and slightly nauseous afterwards. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the main reason I can't eat it.

I have no known food allergies either.

That's simply the overwhelming desire to surrender, brought on by eating French food.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Guess I will be off to the store for some ingredients.

5 onions (finely sliced)

1.5 c marsala - Need

.5 c sweet vermouth - Need

2 gallons of beef stock

.5 cup sherry - Need

3 bay leaves - Need

3 springs of thyme

3 branches of parsley

5-10 peppercorns - Need

• 12 years later...