[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Mock Draft

Outshined

Why did we pass on Young? 

I don't know much about the folk coming out from college... but from a need end... seemed like Young was the winner.  Did you draft assuming that we got Brees?

1359822[/snapback]

I tried to make the pick that I think Miami realisticaly (sp?) has a shot at. No way does Young fall this far and I wanted to make a pick for a player we really have a shot at. I think Saban wants to win pretty fast and having a rook QB is not the answer for that. He's gonna try and land one of the FA vets and go from there IMO. We really need help on the O-line but most of the guys on the board are not worthy of first round money and there are other guys who can be had in the 2nd or later rounds. Next area of importance is the secondary. Sam and Howard are gone. It's gonna be interesting to see who we trot out there next year. Maybe we get Law, maybe not but were gonna need the help.

Best case scenario is we get Brees, Law and draft either Justice or Williams at 16. Shore up one of our needs and get a few quality FA's for the others.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to make the pick that I think Miami realisticaly (sp?)  has a shot at. No way does Young fall this far and I wanted to make a pick for a player we really have a shot at. I think Saban wants to win pretty fast and having a rook QB is not the answer for that. He's gonna try and land one of the FA vets and go from there IMO. We really need help on the O-line but most of the guys on the board are not worthy of first round money and there are other guys who can be had in the 2nd or later rounds. Next area of importance is the secondary. Sam and Howard are gone. It's gonna be interesting to see who we trot out there next year. Maybe we get Law, maybe not but were gonna need the help.

Best case scenario is we get Brees, Law and draft either Justice or Williams at 16. Shore up one of our needs and get a few quality FA's for the others.

1361011[/snapback]

I think it's VERY possible that Young falls that far. Did anyone think Rogers would go late first round last year?

So, let me ask you, since you went with an alternate reality (outside of how this draft went) would Miami take Young if he's there? That is really the purpose of a mock.... to disregard how it went because you may not agree with it makes it worse, no? Many people have Cutler over Young now, and Miami was all set to take Cutler, where they not?

I think it's VERY possible that Young falls that far. Did anyone think Rogers would go late first round last year?

So, let me ask you, since you went with an alternate reality (outside of how this draft went) would Miami take Young if he's there? That is really the purpose of a mock.... to disregard how it went because you may not agree with it makes it worse, no? Many people have Cutler over Young now, and Miami was all set to take Cutler, where they not?

1361013[/snapback]

I think Miami has been eyeing Cutler for a while now. Saban has seen this kid play for a few years and is truly impressed. His style fits the kind of offense that Saban likes to play which is hand off to the RB's and throw the ball down field. The only problem is that the "secret" about Cutler is out and he is long gone before 16. Miami will address their QB needs before the April draft, maybe as soon as next week. If Culp goes to Oakland, they are gonna make a play for Brees. Like I said before, Saban wants to win right now. Miami hosts the SB and Saban is shooting for that believe me. While he wants to bring in young talent, he realizes his Def is old and getting older by the day. I think he would rather bring in a vet at this point and make a 2 year run at the SB and then maybe re-tool the whole team.

As far as Young goes, I don't think he is the style of QB that Saban wants to run his team. While he is super talented, he just isn't what the Dolphins are looking for.

And as far as what the purpose of this mock is, it is to select the player who I believe that the Dolphins will have available to them at 16 (barring any trades mind you) and to fill a need. I think if you asked any Dolphan (some on this board even) the selection of Williams makes sense and is a realistic possibility. There will be other mocks. I will not participate in the next one to give some of the other Dolphans a chance to get involved. Maybe one of them would choose Young, but I stand by my selection in this one.

I think Miami has been eyeing Cutler for a while now. Saban has seen this kid play for a few years and is truly impressed. His style fits the kind of offense that Saban likes to play which is hand off to the RB's and throw the ball down field. The only problem is that  the "secret" about Cutler is out and he is long gone before 16. Miami will address their QB needs before the April draft, maybe as soon as next week. If Culp goes to Oakland, they are gonna make a play for Brees. Like I said before, Saban wants to win right now. Miami hosts the SB and Saban is shooting for that believe me. While he wants to bring in  young talent, he realizes his Def is old and getting older by the day. I think he would rather bring in a vet at this point and make a 2 year run at the SB and then maybe re-tool the whole team.

As far as Young goes, I don't think he is the style of QB that Saban wants to run his team. While he is super talented, he just isn't what the Dolphins are looking for.

And as far as what the purpose of this mock is, it is to select the player who I believe that the Dolphins will have available to them at 16 (barring any trades mind you) and to fill a need. I think if you asked any Dolphan (some on this board even) the selection of Williams makes sense and is a realistic possibility. There will be other mocks. I will not participate in the next one to give some of the other Dolphans a chance to get involved. Maybe one of them would choose Young, but I stand by my selection in this one.

1361116[/snapback]

Fair enough... what I wanted to know was whether or not you think Saban would have taken Young there.... and if I understand your answer, your opinion is no. This is EXACTLY why I think Young drops in this draft. He isn't what most HC's want to hang their hat on. Any team that drafts Young will have to design their offense around him, as opposed to having a O scheme that lends itself to not missing a beat should a QB go down.

It's great if you have Young AND Micheal Vick.... they are anomolies. But, to best use their tallents, I think the O scheme in the NFL has to be built around them, and most coaches don't want to stick their necks out on one guy like that.

Young may fall, but he will not fall out of the top ten much less the top seven. The guy is an athelete who darn near won the National Championship single handedly. His record as a starter proves he is a winner. There are alot of teams that would take him in the top ten. He is much more than a slash.

Young may fall, but he will not fall out of the top ten much less the top seven. The guy is an athelete who darn near won the National Championship single handedly. His record as a starter proves he is a winner. There are alot of teams that would take him in the top ten. He is much more than a slash.

1361141[/snapback]

Probably true, but I'm glad that the Packers aren't going to take him (most likely). I wouldn't want him as my franchise QB. Mike Vick 2.

I tried to make the pick that I think Miami realisticaly (sp?)  has a shot at. No way does Young fall this far and I wanted to make a pick for a player we really have a shot at. I think Saban wants to win pretty fast and having a rook QB is not the answer for that. He's gonna try and land one of the FA vets and go from there IMO. We really need help on the O-line but most of the guys on the board are not worthy of first round money and there are other guys who can be had in the 2nd or later rounds. Next area of importance is the secondary. Sam and Howard are gone. It's gonna be interesting to see who we trot out there next year. Maybe we get Law, maybe not but were gonna need the help.

1361011[/snapback]

Daniels did a pretty admirable job last year - and if he can ever get on the field - I think that Poole could be a force, but true - we really need to improve our secondary.

How did the other CB from LSU do last year? I know Saban wanted him, but defaulted to Daniels

1361141[/snapback]

OK, but tell me what HC will take that shot? Outside of the Raiders, I don't know if I see one.

Daniels did a pretty admirable job last year - and if he can ever get on the field - I think that Poole could be a force, but true - we really need to improve our secondary. 

How did the other CB from LSU do last year?  I know Saban wanted him, but defaulted to Daniels

1361146[/snapback]

I like Poole as well but he's coming off a major injury so that will be an issue. At least he got hurt early so hopefully he'll be up to speed by Aug. Daniels did do a pretty good job last year. He got burned a few times in different routes but that is to be expected from a rook. I think he'll be a good nickle and dime guy for us, maybe even a S if he can bulk up. He plays with alot of heart and Saban knew that from being his coach at LSU.

I forgot who the other LSU corner was. Not feeling the coffee love yet this morning. :D

OK, but tell me what HC will take that shot? Outside of the Raiders, I don't know if I see one.

1361152[/snapback]

Mike Mayyock said whoever takes him high will have to build the success of their franchise around him, who wans to take that risk?

1361152[/snapback]

#2 New Orleans - Will get one of the top 3. Have they stated which one or does everybody assume it Lienart?

#3 NY Jets - already stated they wanted a top 3 QB

#4 Tennessee - With McNair ready to retire soon, I could see them taking him.

#7 Oakland - Have to wait and see with C-Pep and Collins

#8 Buffalo - If he falls this far, he gats taken on the fact its a value pick, best player on the board

#9 Detroit - same as Buffalo

#10 Arizona - Denny would love to have him. He would definitly get picked here.

Edited by Outshined

#2 New Orleans - Will get one of the top 3. Have they stated which one or does everybody assume it Lienart?

#3 NY Jets - already stated they wanted a top 3 QB

#4 Tennessee - With McNair ready to retire soon, I could see them taking him.

#7 Oakland - Have to wait and see with C-Pep and Collins

#8 Buffalo - If he falls this far, he gats taken on the fact its a value pick, best player on the board

#9 Detroit - same as Buffalo

#10 Arizona - Denny would love to have him. He would definitly get picked here.

1361193[/snapback]

N.O. is going Lienart.

The Jets want no part of Young.... trust me.

Tennessee.... will go Cutler or Ferguson, not Young.

Oakland.... maybe.

Buffalo... no way with Losman.

Detroit.... they are after Ramsey right now.

AZ.... maybe, but I doubt that. AZ may make a push for C Pep.

I disagree..... Young will drop like a rock. Even the Miami homers don't see their team taking him if he drops that far. He is this year's Aaron Rogers.

N.O. is going Lienart.

1361204[/snapback]

I heard a rumor to the effect that NO is very interested in Brees. Can any Saint homers confirm or deny? Sure would change their approach on draft day...

N.O. is going Lienart.

The Jets want no part of Young.... trust me.

Tennessee.... will go Cutler or Ferguson, not Young. Its hard to see what they have on their draft board, but Young is a proven winner. Do you think Cutler is ranked higher than Young on these teams boards? I don't think so.

Oakland.... maybe. I agree

Buffalo... no way with Losman. Even after they benched him last year

Detroit.... they are after Ramsey right now. They would take Ramsey over Young - I disagree - if he is there, they take him. Millen may be dumb, but nt that dumb.

AZ.... maybe, but I doubt that. AZ may make a push for C Pep. I think Denny would take him here - C PEP2

I disagree..... Young will drop like a rock. Even the Miami homers don't see their team taking him if he drops that far. He is this year's Aaron Rogers. That could be the beginning of a sig bet  :D

1361204[/snapback]

Comments in Blue!! I just don't think he will fall.

So are we doing multiple rounds or just the 1? :D  I myself would prefer to go as deep as 3, possibly more if people stay interested.

1361339[/snapback]

Sounds good to me, although I am pretty sure I (the Ravens) dont have a 3rd rounder this year.

Ok, so since Denver is on deck, I'll begin by talking about what's going on in Denver right now.

1) They are working hard to resign Warren. At the begining of the season, he made it clear he wanted to test free agent waters at the end of the season. It looks like he now is very interested in sticking around in Denver.

2) The order of needs seems to be WR, then DE or Safety.

3) Everyone knows Denver has been talking to Owens, but I also think they would be interested in Bruce or Moulds (if Moulds becomes a FA)

4) With 2 first rnd picks, Denver is also very interested in Abraham and giving up one of their first round picks.

I believe Denver will address probably one position through FA but not both DE and WR.

So, I really had 5 players on my board for this draft slot:

Lawrence Maroney: I would like this pick. We need a replacement for Dillon. Doubt this would be it, though.

Tye Hill: One of the fastest players, and we know BB likes that. Can he handle the Pats system?

Ernie Sims: I just think be might be a little small for BB.

Jason Allen: More likely to see a Veteran FA safety

Mathias Kiwunawa: Potential replacement for McGinnest, too many ??s

Tye Hill is the man. Until the rotation of Randall Gay, Ellis Hobbs, and Asante Samuel produces 2 standouts, I think the Pats will keep adding a corner each draft until the find the diamond in the rough.

So assuming the WR's continue to resign with their own teams, it looks like this will be the priority for Denver. I was hoping Moss would drop, but I think Jackson will be a nice addition to Denver's WR crop.

Chad Jackson it is.