[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ewa Beach, HI

Tommyknocker

My wife and I are soon to leave for a week on Ewa Beach Hawaii. :D I was just curious if any one here has any special recomendations as to attractions, events or sights that would be a MUST do.

We have a house rented on Ewa Beach. I am sooooo looking forward to some sun and R & R.

We will of course tour Pearl Harbor and do plenty of beach time, but looking for inside info from those in the know.

Thanks

Make sure you check out Hanauma Bay while you're on Oahu. It's about 10-15 minutes east of Waikiki. It's a National Park reef area where you can snorkel...it gets pretty crowded so try to get there as early as you can. It's great though, one of the best snorkeling spots in the world...it's like snorkeling in an aquarium.

Edit: Oh, and if you're into the tourist things and want to check out a luau, go to either Paradise Cove or the Polynesian Cultural Center. And don't miss Waimea beach on the North Shore either. The waves are kind of hit and miss, but it is winter time where sometimes the swells get HUGH (I've seen 25-30 foot face waves there).

Edited by Skrappy1

Maui is cool - but Oahu is UNDERRATED- plenty of great spots- make sure you drive to the North Shore- should be some big waves, and they have some great beaches as well. Hunama Bay sp? is great as well- Excellent Seafood- Roy's is a must- and Duke's on Waikiki is great spot for afternoon mai tais, and sights :D .

You can't go wrong really- just make sure you drive around- get out of Waikiki and EXPLORE! Have no idea where it was, but one of my boys lives there, and we had a mai tai taste test all over the island- one local spot near the North Shore- UNREAL- old Hawaiin lady took 10 minutes to concoct our drinks with love and care- OUT OF THIS WORLD, I am drooling on the keyboard........

I've been out of the continental United States once, for 20 minutes in souix ste marie. We asked for directions to McDonalds, drove the wrong way because we didn't understand the street signs and complained about the exchange rate. I feel we represented the U.S.A. well.

Never been in, over or under an ocean. I hate you +3.

Edited by cre8tiff

My brother lives on Oahu and I've been there 4-5 times. There are some GREAT hikes on Oahu if you are into that sort of thing. There are several that feature waterfalls at the end, and you certainly want to check out a bamboo forest while you are there.

There is an office in downtown Oahu (I believe a tourist center) where you can go get free maps to all of the hikes on the island.

Go to Lanikai Beach. It is located basically in Kailua. You have to drive through a neigborhood and park on the street and walk down the public accesses to the beach. It is well worth the effort. Very private, and usually only locals go there. The snorkeling is great, and the water is still relatively calm even though it is winter there. My wife and I swam with some sea turtles there. Very cool. Remember when you snorkel: it is a federal offense to make contact with a sea turtle.

While you are on that side of the island, there is a breakfast place in Kaneohe. They serve pancakes with coconut syrup. I'll get the name for you.

All the other suggestions listed are good ones. When you go to Pearl Harbor, make sure you take the boat to the USS Arizona memorial. Get there early in the morning (8:00 am) to beat the crowds. Even if it's busy there, TAKE THE TIME TO GO TO THE ARIZONA. You also may want to check out the USS Missouri, which is anchored on the opposite side of the harbor. It's a pretty neat symmetry in that you can be a part of both the beginning of the war and the ending of the war, since the treaty was signed on the deck of the Missouri.

If you are into sunsets, drive up to the north shore and eat at a place called the Windjammer. (I think). Anyway, they have an outdoor patio that faces the sunset. Get their early so you can get a seat outdoors. Just plan on spending the day up there and get to the restaurant around 3:00. Sit there, have some dinner and cocktails. Very cool spot.

• 1 month later...
i usually go to maui....... would give you a page full of advice there......

1325830[/snapback]

I love Maui, been to the big island as well but that is all built up for the most part.

The road to hana rocked. Snorkled, swam with groupers the size of dogs, sea turtles and all sorts of fish. The water is perfect, the food is great and the weather is awesome.

Yeah I know this is an old thread but whatever.

Anytime someone talks about Hawaii I have to post in that thread.

I'd move out there to live if it didn't cost so much $$.

Make sure you check out Hanauma Bay while you're on Oahu. It's about 10-15 minutes east of Waikiki. It's a National Park reef area where you can snorkel...it gets pretty crowded so try to get there as early as you can. It's great though, one of the best snorkeling spots in the world...it's like snorkeling in an aquarium.

Edit: Oh, and if you're into the tourist things and want to check out a luau, go to either Paradise Cove or the Polynesian Cultural Center. And don't miss Waimea beach on the North Shore either. The waves are kind of hit and miss, but it is winter time where sometimes the swells get HUGH (I've seen 25-30 foot face waves there).

1325815[/snapback]

Good info here. I know about the other islands, but you didn't say you were going there.

If you go to Hanauma Bay (I think it's on the far side of Honolulu from Diamond Head) take some frozen green peas in a baggie. The fish will flip. When I have been there nobody cared, but when I do something Mr. Ranger may not like, I don't advertise it. (Got that Yogi?) :D The reef at Hanauma bay cuts off the wave action a lot and makes it easy swimming. Fish are hard to touch anyway, but I will give you a tip that there are some fish that hang out on the bottom and the rocks that are members of the Sculpin family. They have posionous spines. They won't run from you and if you reach out to touch one, you can come back here and tell us what it felt like if you get punctured.

The North Shore is awesome, but you probably just want to watch the surfers and swim elsewhere. I have a friend that was a pro surfer who watched the waves for three days before he would even get wet there.

Just getting off the plane and seeing the sky in Hawaii is worth the trip. Have a great time.

Edited by BiPolarBear

I'm baaaaack. darn, what an awesome trip!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks to everyone for the input. We actually did very little of the tourist type stuff.

The best things were by accident, just out exploring.

We came across the sea turtles coming ashore to sun themselves near north shore, awesome creatures.

Saw the whales and even witnessed a calf breaching several times while at an overlook on diamond head.

Some kind of womens surfing championship at north shore. Plenty of scenery. :D

The Halona blowhole near Diamond Head, nature at its finest.

Just some of our highlights.

No insects was a big surprize and a welcome one at that. Flooding had taken a toll on all the windward side beaches, dirty unsafe water but beautiful just the same.

Overall a GREAT place to visit, but I couldnt live there, too many people. Here at home now we are getting snow snow snow, should be 10 in or more by Mon morning. I hate winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D