[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vanden Bosch to Sign Today

spain

Titans DE is ready for big time

Vanden Bosch will sign four-year deal today

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Kyle Vanden Bosch earned his big-time contract. Now the veteran defensive end has to prove his monster season with the Titans, when he racked up 12.5 sacks and wound up at the Pro Bowl, wasn't a one-year show.

"We've rewarded that type of effort and Kyle is in the position to continue to be if not as productive, more productive than he was this past year," Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said yesterday. "There is no doubt in my mind he will. Kyle is as dedicated to the game as anybody I've ever seen.''

Vanden Bosch and the Titans officially agreed to a new four-year contract worth about $22 million. The deal will be formally announced during a press conference at Baptist Sports Park today. Vanden Bosch is expected to sign the deal this morning.

Vanden Bosch is scheduled to earn $14.5 million in guaranteed money, including a signing bonus of $4.75 million and guaranteed base salaries in the first three years of the deal. His base salary for 2006 is scheduled to be roughly $2.8 million. In 2007 it's scheduled to be around $3.6 million and in 2008 it will be around $4.7 million. There will be another increase in 2009, the final year of the contract.

Vanden Bosch passed a physical yesterday, the final piece of the puzzle. Titans General Manager Floyd Reese and General Counsel Steve Underwood worked with Vanden Bosch's agent, Tony Agnone, to clear one hurdle after another during negotiations earlier this week.

Agnone said Vanden Bosch could have potentially made more money by waiting until the start of free agency on March 3, when he would have been able to negotiate with other teams.

Vanden Bosch said he wanted to remain with the Titans.

"I don't know what I would have gotten in free agency. It is always tempting to find out, but I am comfortable here. I am happy here,'' he said last night. "I am not saying I took less money here. I don't know what else is out there. But I know what a great situation this is here.

"I know I like this organization, my relationship with my teammates, the fans. … Really, everything about the situation here was great. You can't really put a price tag on happiness and I am satisfied with the deal and I am very happy with how the organization treated me. I feel this is a good fit for me and a good fit for the team.''

Reese said the decision to re-sign Vanden Bosch wasn't a difficult one thanks to the defensive end's talent, work ethic and presence in the locker room and the community.

"You put all those together and you think, 'Now if there is anybody worth signing, this is probably a good place to start,' " Reese said. "The reason we signed him to a contract like this is because we value him. Now we have a defensive end that people have to worry about every game.''

Vanden Bosch, 27, signed with the Titans last April after four injury-filled seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, when he recorded just five sacks in 35 games.

When he became an unrestricted free agent last offseason, Vanden Bosch signed with the Titans for the league minimum, $540,000, in part because his options were limited.

His effort and dedication also set a good example for his teammates. Although he wasn't voted into the Pro Bowl, Vanden Bosch got to play for the AFC team when Miami's Jason Taylor was sidelined by injury. He responded with two sacks.

"That's great news,'' Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck said after learning of Vanden Bosch's new deal. "I thought that should have been our first priority in the offseason. Everything he has gotten is well deserved, and he definitely deserves more, but that is the type of guy he is."

Bulluck, the defensive leader, said he hopes the move is a sign of things to come.

"It is definitely a step, but the way we've been the last couple of years, they need to take five or six more,'' he said. "They took care of priorities and KVB was No. 1. … He went out in Hawaii and proved he is one of the best, so he deserves to be paid like one of the best.''

Vanden Bosch, for one, believes better days are ahead for the Titans despite last year's 4-12 finish.

"We have a good core and we have enough talent to win games and I am confident we are going to make the right moves in the offseason to fill the holes we have,'' he said. "I was very impressed with how the organization dealt with me in the whole process — they meant business and got the deal done.

"If that is how the rest of the offseason is going to go, I am excited about the people we are going to bring in and the people that are coming back. I do want to win and I want to go to the playoffs before my career is over and if I didn't think that could happen here I don't know if I would have been back.''

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl.../602170437/1027