[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paypal e-mail hoax

Gonkis

I'm new(er) to Paypal, well a few months anyway. I just got the following e-mail. After clicking on the effing first link, I got concerned because it re-directed me to some web address with the IP numbers instead of a name. So, I tried to log-in to Paypal. I don't think it was the "real" Paypal, because the screen said to follow instructions to accept cookies and change the security level for that website.

A phone call to Paypal confirmed that there is no record of that case number and the e-mail is a hoax to get personal info. That pi$$es me off. Be careful. I changed the password to my Paypal account and forwarded to e-mail to them. Official paypal e-mails address you by your full name, I found out.

Here's the e-mail.

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the

Pay Pal system. We recently noticed that your account was accessed by unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we are forced to limit the access to sensitive Pay Pal account features. We realise that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

Case ID Number: PP-042-818-072

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=complaint-view

Your Personal Data includes information that can identify you as a specific individual, such as your name, address, phone number, credit card number or e-mail address are stored in your account. Is strongly recommend that you log into your account and verify your Personal Data. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that Pay Pal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center https://www.paypal.com/ . If, after reviewing your account information, you seekfurther clarification regarding your account access, please contact Pay Pal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us". We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help and protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Pay Pal Account Review Department

Pay Pal Email ID PP520952

They tell me to forward it to spoof@paypal.com and delete it. I do that (after I copied it for your reading pleasure). Perhaps, they don't want me to accidentally click on the bogus links later, right?

Well, spoof@paypal.com responds with information about protecting yourself.... AND copies the original e-mail with links active? :D

Wetods.

I've received this one as well, but the links were automatically taken out by gmail. :D

PS> if anyone wants a gmail account, PM me w/ your current email addy. I got a lot of invites to give out.

Edited by BiggieFries

I've gotten a few of those. 

There are some sneaky buggers out there.

1327024[/snapback]

Sure are. I sold 3 laptops in a row on ebay and got fake paypal emails saying they were paid for. Be careful out there.

I recently closed my Pay Pal account after a while because I was simply tired of trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't. If I need to use Pay Pal again in the future it only takes a minute to set up the account. Then I'll use it and instantly close it again when I'm done.

I recently closed my Pay Pal account after a while because I was simply tired of trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't.  If I need to use Pay Pal again in the future it only takes a minute to set up the account.  Then I'll use it and instantly close it again when I'm done.

1327053[/snapback]

No wonder I haven't made any money off you. I mean.... oops. :D

These Paypal emails, and all other emails purporting to come from eBay, credit unions and banks, etc, are called phishing.

General advice -

:D No organization will EVER ask you to confirm your account details, passwords, etc by email. Treat them all as scams because they are. Delete them all.

I banked over 3K this past season in FF dues and have never seen one of these emails, or had any problems. :D 

I'm gonna go knock on a block of wood. :D

1327134[/snapback]

I wanna borrow that block of wood and use it on the people who sent me that e-mail.

These Paypal emails, and all other emails purporting to come from eBay, credit unions and banks, etc, are called phishing.

General advice -

:D  No organization will EVER ask you to confirm your account details, passwords, etc by email.  Treat them all as scams because they are.  Delete them all.

1327103[/snapback]

Good info here :D

Also, always roll over and look at the actual address in an email before clicking on it. If the URL doesn't match the display, don't click it.

This has been discussed previously.

spoof@paypal.com will verify right away if you have a phishing email.

Paypal will never send an email to you without using your first and last name...that should be your first tipoff.

So, I tried to log-in to Paypal.  I don't think it was the "real" Paypal, because the screen said to follow instructions to accept cookies and change the security level for that website.

1327019[/snapback]

If you tried to log in to the site it directed you to, they have your login name and password.

Did you change your password yet?

General advice -

:D  No organization will EVER ask you to confirm your account details, passwords, etc by email.  Treat them all as scams because they are.  Delete them all.

1327103[/snapback]

100% the best advice given out on this board.. other than my own FF stuff... :D

100% the best advice given out on this board.. other than my own FF stuff... :D

1327724[/snapback]

:D

DMD has yet to try my Double Double strategy.

:D

Good info here  :D

Also, always roll over and look at the actual address in an email before clicking on it. If the URL doesn't match the display, don't click it.

1327310[/snapback]

That's what made me catch it, I saw the address didn't match, but had already hit the button....

I just recieved something similiar from Chase (I have my car loan through them).

Dear Chase account holder,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Chase staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://chaseonline.chase.com/chaseonline/l...n/sso_logon.jsp

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The Chase Bank Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

fatherless males

I just recieved something similiar from Chase (I have my car loan through them). 

Dear Chase account holder,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Chase staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://chaseonline.chase.com/chaseonline/l...n/sso_logon.jsp

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The Chase Bank Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

fatherless males

1328882[/snapback]

That's an outstandingly good one. Most of these are written by some spotty Romanian in very bad English. This one is well done.

I got one of the paypal ones once, saying that I had one an auction for an $800 watch. Then in the email, it said something to the fact that if you do not recognize this auction click here. Ofcourse I then called the paypal number on their website and asked them what i should do. They told me to delete it and send it to the spoof email also.

I didn't read this whole thread so please forgive me if I am repeating someone (and I probably am), but this is worth repeating:

Never go to a site and give important information off of an email link. It is almost always a scam. Go to the site directly and/or call the company in question and ask about the validity of email.