[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Weekly 2/20-2/26

PantherDave

Wow, what a week for the Pack, a pasting of FSU, and a would be pasting of VT that turns into a dog fight. This week is the week for the Pack-two home games Heels on the 22nd and BC on the 25th, and the ability to lock down 2nd place and the #2 seed in the tourney. This will be an intense week of ACC Hoops-looking forward to it, and hopefully Evtimov will be ready to go, as the Pack missed his leadership in the 2nd half at VT.

Wow, what a week for the Pack, a pasting of FSU, and a would be pasting of VT that turns into a dog fight. This week is the week for the Pack-two home games Heels on the 22nd and BC on the 25th, and the ability to lock down 2nd place and the #2 seed in the tourney. This will be an intense week of ACC Hoops-looking forward to it, and hopefully Evtimov will be ready to go, as the Pack missed his leadership in the 2nd half at VT.

1333033[/snapback]

VaTech really hung tough against State, of course not having to face Evtimov was a big help to the Hokies. Entertaining game :D

As I wrote earlier MD staved off March Madness elimination by beating GaTech in overtime. The Terps really haevnt played well in weeks but at least they gutted out the win.

VaTech really hung tough against State, of course not having to face Evtimov was a big help to the Hokies. Entertaining game  :D

As I wrote earlier MD staved off March Madness elimination by beating GaTech in overtime. The Terps really haevnt played well in weeks but at least they gutted out the win.

1333101[/snapback]

Terps needed it, as well as Coach W, man he looks worn out.

Terps needed it, as well as Coach W, man he looks worn out.

1333115[/snapback]

I hear ya PD. It really looks like Gary is resigned to the fact that this team has a lot of holes; he's doing his best to drag the team into March Madness but as you said this season is really taking a toll on him :D

Well looking at the Terps remaining schedule, and assuming they lose at the Hill, they have a very good shot to go 9-7 in the conf, which I think is the ticket this year. If a team gets in the dance with an 8-8 conf record, it may be just one. Normally a 8-8 conf record would get ya in-not his year. The 8-8's may have to make it to Saturday of the Tourney to get an invitation this year. So, if the Terps can finish conf play at 9-7 or 10-6 I feel the Terps will be dancing.

Well looking at the Terps remaining schedule, and assuming they lose at the Hill, they have a very good shot to go 9-7 in the conf, which I think is the ticket this year. If a team gets in the dance with an 8-8 conf record, it may be just one. Normally a 8-8 conf record would get ya in-not his year. The 8-8's may have to make it to Saturday of the Tourney to get an invitation this year. So, if the Terps can finish conf play at 9-7 or 10-6 I feel the Terps will be dancing.

1333367[/snapback]

You are probably right PD, 8-8 might not be good enough this year. I dont think they can go any better than 9-7, but they MIGHT squeak into the Tourney if they only go 8-8 and win a game in the ACC Tourney. Will be interesting.

Doesnt State play UNC this week? Cant wait for that one! Hope Evtimov is back healthy for that one :D

Hey guys....I hardly ever get to this forum.  As a BC homer, I'd be up for some good ACC hoops talk (or any college hoop talk, really).  After football ends, I really lock in on college hoop.

Tonight's game vs Virginia really concerns me.

1334549[/snapback]

Welcome VIG, and us ACC boys have been trying to keep this up and running and it has been doing OK-glad to have a BC homer in the thread. I think BC will take UVa, but hopefully not my Pack this week-end. So, glad BC is in the ACC, or did you prefer the BE?

Edited by PantherDave

I'll definately be pulling for UVA, no offense, VIG. If the heels can go 3-1 in the last 4 and State and BC take a loss or 2, UNC could end up as a #2 or a #3 seed in the tourney. The Heels get a little better each game and I would like our chances of getting to the championship game in the right side of the bracket.

BC may be looking past UVA to NC State and that is what concerns me. Two losses in a row is a definite possibility.

As for us being in the ACC now vs the Big East.....as a knowledgeable college hoop fan, I say the quality of play isn't that much different. In previous years the ACC has been very top heavy, while the Big East has had more consistency from top to bottom. The rest of the country doesn't see that, though. The media has had a love affair with the ACC for years now (teams score lots of points, don't play much defense, and the crowds are fantastic). For that reason, I think BC benefits from moving to the ACC. The Big East used to rule with Ewing and Mullin, et al but the torch has definitely been passed. Plus it's fun to see some new teams up here (Conte Forum adds zero home court advantage - the students are good but the alumni and other season ticket holders just sit oin their hands the whole game).

As a realist, I think both NC State and BC have a slim chance, but Duke is untouchable. NC is getting better but they are very young. Next year.

Should be a great ACC tourney to watch, though.

Hey guys....I hardly ever get to this forum.  As a BC homer, I'd be up for some good ACC hoops talk (or any college hoop talk, really).  After football ends, I really lock in on college hoop.

Tonight's game vs Virginia really concerns me.

1334549[/snapback]

Yeah, welcome aboard VIG! As PD said its good to have a BC guy on board.

I think BC takes Virginia, by the way.

This is a bit of a down year for the ACC but it will bounce back soon. Have to admit the Big East is MONSTROUS this year :D

This is a bit of a down year for the ACC but it will bounce back soon. Have to admit the Big East is MONSTROUS this year  :D

1334767[/snapback]

I think it's amusing that the media has convinced everyone that the Big East is so good this year. UCONN is for real...absolutely. Villanova is very good but they live and die with the three point shot and have not played a single good team on the road this year except Texas (which they lost). They thrive at their place or in Philly (evidenced by the win vs Conn last week). West Virginia is proving that it is slightly overrrated. Pitt and G'Town round out the rest of the contenders and they aren't too bad. Of the 5 teams that the Big East added (Cincy, Marquette, USF, Depaul, and Louisville), none will contend for the conference title. I predict, only UCONN makes the Elite 8. We'll see.

I think it's amusing that the media has convinced everyone that the Big East is so good this year.  UCONN is for real...absolutely.  Villanova is very good but they live and die with the three point shot and have not played a single good team on the road this year except Texas (which they lost).  They thrive at their place or in Philly (evidenced by the win vs Conn last week).  West Virginia is proving that it is slightly overrrated.  Pitt and G'Town round out the rest of the contenders and they aren't too bad.  Of the 5 teams that the Big East added (Cincy, Marquette, USF, Depaul, and Louisville), none will contend for the conference title.  I predict, only UCONN makes the Elite 8.  We'll see.

1334840[/snapback]

When does Marquette get some love? All they've done is win (and they've beaten some GOOD teams lately).

I watch a lot of Big East basketball, and although I am an ACC man I do think the Big East is better this year. Sure, they have some bottom feeders like USF, Depaul, ND...even LOU and CIN really arent all that great. However, beyond Duke, NC State, NC, and BC the ACC is pretty bad; at least according to the standards we're used to here. I can only see a MAX of FIVE ACC teams making the Tourney, more likely just four.

Edited by Gdawg

You're right.  Even though I downplayed the Big East in the previous post, they probably have the best Top 5 in any of the conferences.

Watch out for the MVC as a sleeper.  They have 4 pretty good teams and all 4 may make the NCAA tourney.

1334907[/snapback]

Noted for March Madness :D

BC may be looking past UVA to NC State and that is what concerns me.  Two losses in a row is a definite possibility.

1334683[/snapback]

You sure called this one VIG, UVA is always a tough place to play. The heels took a loss there earlier in the year.

With a win tomorrow UNC can move into sole possession of 3rd place!

You sure called this one VIG, UVA is always a tough place to play.  The heels took a loss there earlier in the year.

With a win tomorrow UNC can move into sole possession of 3rd place!

1335636[/snapback]

BC was never in it. Although, it didn't appear they were looking past UVA as I thought. BC played decent. Virginia hit twelve 3-pointers!! I guess they play well at home, huh? 11-2 at that place this year. Now BC really needs to buckle down vs NC State.

BC was never in it.  Although, it didn't appear they were looking past UVA as I thought.  BC played decent.  Virginia hit twelve 3-pointers!!  I guess they play well at home, huh?  11-2 at that place this year.  Now BC really needs to buckle down vs NC State.

1335881[/snapback]

I was shocked that UVA beat BC, the Cavs were ON FIRE last nite :D I switched over to ND @ UCONN. ND has played tough all year, but they keep coming up just a little short. Good game.

I was shocked that UVA beat BC, the Cavs were ON FIRE last nite  :D I switched over to ND @ UCONN. ND has played tough all year, but they keep coming up just a little short. Good game.

1335907[/snapback]

They are real tough at home. Plus they shot three after three after three. Every time BC got it to 10, VA would slam home another three with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. I had to switch to the UCONN game as well. That's the most frustrated I've been all year watching a BC game. BC didn't shoot well, but if VA makes a reasonable number of shots (even 8 three's instead of twelve), that's whole new ball game.

UCONN got out to a big lead and let waaaay up. They were lucky they didn't blow that game.

UCONN got out to a big lead and let waaaay up. They were lucky they didn't blow that game.

1336008[/snapback]

Amen! How did they let ND take them to overtime AT HOME?

MD @ FLA State tonite, dont have a good feeling about this one for my Terps :D

You called that one VIG, but UVa was en fuego as well. Evtimov is a GTD tonight(I hope he plays). Herb should have the Pack ready to play tonight and a win would make the BC game still very very important this weekend, but would no doubt enable the Pack to play a little looser, which tends to help them at home.