[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:woot: Sold my house in a day!

TimC

Stuck a "For Sale By Owner" sign in the yard with my phone number and a little info tube with a picture and some description of what was staying (fridge, w/d, etc) Thursday night and was going to give it a weekend before I advertised just in case anyone drove by. Decided to list it for $6k more than I had decided on last week to pay for the transmission for da Vette and the kitchen she's picking out for the new house I'm building. Figured I could come down. :D

Stayed out late last night at our monthly poker tourney and got woken up at 9:00 AM with the phone ringing. Grumbled, hungover and said "hello". Lady said she was interested and I said when do you want to see it. I hadn't vacuumed or anything. She said she was parked out front. I went :D:D:huh: and immediately woke up. Asked her to gimme 10 minutes. Threw on some clothes and my lucky Dallas Cowboys hat (she was a Redskins fan, of course).

She came in and said she was looking at another house down the cul de sac 3 weeks ago, saw my house and wished she could have it. It's one of the few contemporary ones in the subdivision...most are just Cape Cod-like. I thought having a semi-unique house might hurt me. We have a community pool, tennis, basketball, tot lots, etc and they're only building houses double the price everywhere around. She just rode down the street today for some reason while out with her brother. It's weird cause my road leads nowhere. She was all :D when she saw the "for sale" sign and offered full price on the spot. Said she'd bring over a deposit and a contract tomorrow at 2:00. :D

Thank goodness I didn't get a real estate agent or listen to the 2 that came out. They wanted me to offer it for $30k less than I sold it for. :doah:

I guess the SO gets those countertops and appliances she wanted. :D

Beers on me! :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuck a "For Sale By Owner" sign in the yard with my phone number and a little info tube with a picture and some description of what was staying (fridge, w/d, etc) Thursday night and was going to give it a weekend before I advertised just in case anyone drove by.  Decided to list it for $6k more than I had decided on last week

1341917[/snapback]

Sounds like the story of my house in SLC, but while I was putting the flyer/ad together, I ended up going $70,000 higher than we would have taken and $60K higher than any house had sold for in the neighborhood.

Sold it the first week for the asking price.

Thank goodness I didn't get a real estate agent or listen to the 2 that came out.  They wanted me to offer it for $30k less than I sold it for.  :doah:

1341917[/snapback]

:D Congrats.

That sentence I quoted above tells a story........ :D

OK, who's going to break it to Tim that we have played a hell of a practical joke on him?  (Or should we just let him sit there and wait around all afternoon tomorrow for the woman to show back up?)

1341948[/snapback]

:D I think she was a...thesbian. :D But not a hott one. :D

Sounds like the story of my house in SLC, but while I was putting the flyer/ad together, I ended up going $70,000 higher than we would have taken and $60K higher than any house had sold for in the neighborhood. 

Sold it the first week for the asking price.

1341953[/snapback]

The guy next door in a bigger house (an extra bedroom) sold his 4 months ago for $5k less than I got so I really thought I was shooting for the moon with my asking price. Figured what the heck since I had a couple of months to sell it. Don't let anyone say the real estate bubble has burst....yet. :D

:D  Congrats.

That sentence I quoted above tells a story........ :D

1341965[/snapback]

The short version is summed up by an agent's call I got when I got home tonight....

He wanted the listing. I told him it sold today. He said congrats and then had to throw out "well, if it sold that fast, you probably could've gotten at least $10k more". I said 2 months ago 2 different agents said to sell it for $15k and $25k less than I just got. I then said that the $10k extra (plus) I might've gotten would've gone into the agent's pocket anyways causing me actually to make less. If my house is appreciating $25k every 3 months, I'd retire in a year. :D

Asked him if he ever wanted a real estate lesson, I'd be happy to sit down with him. Smartass. I was the foreclosed property accountant from '89-'95 at the largest bank in Virginny and probably saw more contracts and the bad side of real estate than any agent out there.

It cost me a $14.00 sign and info tube from Home Depot, one digital picture and 5 minutes in Microsoft Word to save the thousands the agent would've taken. :huh:

Edited by TimC

Tim..Are you sure she can get a mortgage ? Did she show you any kind of pre qualification letter from a bank ?

1342000[/snapback]

She's bringing it tomorrow with the deposit and the contract. She didn't know the house was for sale. She wanted to come back in a couple of hours with it, but I had to head out to the new house to check out the roof they put on this week. It's a 100+ mile roundtrip so I couldn't do it today since I had other errands to run as well. We decided to do it tomorrow at 2 PM.

:D  I think she was a...thesbian.  :D  But not a hott one.  :D

The guy next door in a bigger house (an extra bedroom) sold his 4 months ago for $5k less than I got so I really thought I was shooting for the moon with my asking price.  Figured what the heck since I had a couple of months to sell it.  Don't let anyone say the real estate bubble has burst....yet.  :D

The short version is summed up by an agent's call I got when I got home tonight....

He wanted the listing.  I told him it sold today.  He said congrats and then had to throw out "well, if it sold that fast, you probably could've gotten at least $10k more".  I said 2 months ago 2 different agents said to sell it for $15k and $25k less than I just got.  I then said that the $10k extra (plus) I might've gotten would've gone into the agent's pocket anyways causing me actually to make less.  If my house is appreciating $25k every 3 months, I'd retire in a year.  :D 

Asked him if he ever wanted a real estate lesson, I'd be happy to sit down with him.  Smartass.  I was the foreclosed property accountant from '89-'95 at the largest bank in Virginny and probably saw more contracts and the bad side of real estate than any agent out there.

It cost me a $14.00 sign and info tube from Home Depot, one digital picture and 5 minutes in Microsoft Word to save the thousands the agent would've taken.  :huh:

1341995[/snapback]

Yer a bad a$$.

I'd still take Exxon over you te sell my house but that now makes you tope 3.

Congrats. Not on selling yer house but congrats on moving up in my people rankings. :D

:D

I might have to break my agreement with the Commonwealth once you get moved in. I'll won't stay more than a week.

Yer a bad a$$. 

I'd still take Exxon over you te sell my house but that now makes you tope 3. 

Congrats.  Not on selling yer house but congrats on moving up in my people rankings.  :D

:D

I might have to break my agreement with the Commonwealth once you get moved in.  I'll won't stay more than a week.

1342005[/snapback]

:D If I can get tickets to that concrete bowl up in Maryland for the Boys-Skins game, you're definitely invited. :D

VERY nice, Timmer! :D

Played to perfection! And lucky too.....I love it when things happen that way. :D

And she's NOT overpaying.....if she really wished for that house a few weeks ago. :D With a different house than the norm in the neighborhood.....comps mean little I think. You both got what you wanted....WIN-WIN situation. :D

She's bringing it tomorrow with the deposit and the contract.  She didn't know the house was for sale.  She wanted to come back in a couple of hours with it, but I had to head out to the new house to check out the roof they put on this week.  It's a 100+ mile roundtrip so I couldn't do it today since I had other errands to run as well.  We decided to do it tomorrow at 2 PM.

1342002[/snapback]

:D Sweet

He wanted the listing.  I told him it sold today.  He said congrats and then had to throw out "well, if it sold that fast, you probably could've gotten at least $10k more".  I said 2 months ago 2 different agents said to sell it for $15k and $25k less than I just got.  I then said that the $10k extra (plus) I might've gotten would've gone into the agent's pocket anyways causing me actually to make less.  If my house is appreciating $25k every 3 months, I'd retire in a year.  :D 

Asked him if he ever wanted a real estate lesson, I'd be happy to sit down with him.  Smartass.  I was the foreclosed property accountant from '89-'95 at the largest bank in Virginny and probably saw more contracts and the bad side of real estate than any agent out there.

It cost me a $14.00 sign and info tube from Home Depot, one digital picture and 5 minutes in Microsoft Word to save the thousands the agent would've taken.  :D

1341995[/snapback]

Sell it for 30k less and the agent's on 5%, all the agent loses is $1500. Assuming the selling price is then $300,000 instead of $330,000, the agent makes $15,000 anyway. A quick $15,000 is much better than a slow $16,500.

Sell it for 30k less and the agent's on 5%, all the agent loses is $1500.  Assuming the selling price is then $300,000 instead of $330,000, the agent makes $15,000 anyway.    A quick $15,000 is much better than a slow $16,500.

1342236[/snapback]

Bingo...that was the next lesson for him if the agent said anything further. :D

We're thinking of selling ours on our own, and your story gets me pumped up to go through with it.  Conrats!

1342247[/snapback]

I've never done it, but there's an entire organization dedicated to helping people do that. If you're reasonably smart and have time and patience, you can save a buttload of money doing it yourself.

FSBO link