[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006 Preseason top 5

theeohiostate

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Pac10 scheduling, this is the first year that we play all 9 teams. So if you go undefeated in conference, it pretty much equals the conference championship without worrying about a vote or tiebreakers.

It also eliminates one 'cupcake' for sure, as this year the other 2 for USC, besides the annual v. ND, will be vs. Big 12 (home) and SEC (away). Our homecoming is v. Oregon, for crying out loud. Not too shabby.

Now if we can pull off another 10-11 wins, we'll be in the BCS for the 5th straight year. But I'm not counting my chickens...

Speaking of Pac10 scheduling, this is the first year that we play all 9 teams.  So if you go undefeated in conference, it pretty much equals the conference championship without worrying about a vote or tiebreakers. 

It also eliminates one 'cupcake' for sure, as this year the other 2 for USC, besides the annual v. ND, will be vs. Big 12 (home) and SEC (away).  Our homecoming is v. Oregon, for crying out loud.  Not too shabby. 

Now if we can pull off another 10-11 wins, we'll be in the BCS for the 5th straight year.  But I'm not counting my chickens...

1377757[/snapback]

I have said this before, but it worth repeating. Props go out to the PAC-10 for using the extra game this year, to play a complete round-robin. I assume that they were not required to do this.

Why do you say there is no worry about a vote or tiebreakers. I assume that if two teams end up 8-1, then the head to head winner, wins the PAC-10, but what if three teams end 8-1, all three having beaten one of the other two, and lost to one of the other two. Who wins the Conference, and who gets the auto BCS bid?

Edited by rbmcdonald

I have said this before, but it worth repeating.  Props go out to the PAC-10 for using the extra game this year, to play a complete round-robin.  I assume that they were not required to do this.

Why do you say there is no worry about a vote or tiebreakers.  I assume that if two teams end up 8-1, then the head to head winner, wins the PAC-10, but what if three teams end 8-1, all three having beaten one of the other two, and lost to one of the other two.  Who wins the Conference, and who gets the auto BCS bid?

Wouldn't it be funny, if the tie breaker in a three-way tie, was the team ranked in the middle of the other two, in the BCS, gets the auto bid, thus increasing the chances that the conference would get two BCS teams?

1378322[/snapback]

1378337[/snapback]

Good point. That is why I said only going undefeated would mean your championship was undisputed. At 8-1 there will be plenty of dispute, which is apparently what we all love about Div1A. Gluttons for punishment...

OU will not finish the season in the top 5 , imo. Sorry Sarge but the "laters" aren't going to be playing my Bucks in the Fiesta, but i'll be sure to post a few pics of the title game for ya' that you can view while lounging in your Stoops cap with matching underoos.

stoops and company took care of business one time. Against Florida State in 2001. And that's cuz they had Aberdeens own keg drinking son (and just flat out cool guy) Josh Heupel. Since then you had the Nate Hybl era, the Buckle Knees era. Congratulations on getting to 2 NC games, but the fact is you were embarassed in both of them. It was true to anyone who OBJECTIVELY watched them.

OU will not finish the season in the top 5 , imo. Sorry Sarge but the "laters" aren't going to be playing my Bucks in the Fiesta, but i'll be sure to post a few pics of the title game for ya' that you can view while lounging in your Stoops cap with matching underoos.

1379039[/snapback]

See that is the spirt, You still have faith that OSU can make the title game, after dropping one early on 9-9-6. That is what college football is all about.

Conspicuously absent is Notre Dame :D who should most definitely be in the top 5. Spare me your comments professor, as I will most certainly not read them. Are you zmanzzz's alias?

Date Opponent Location Time

Saturday, Sept. 2 at Georgia Tech Atlanta, GA TBA

Saturday, Sept. 9 Penn State South Bend, IN 3:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Sept. 16 Michigan South Bend, IN 3:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Sept. 23 at Michigan State East Lansing, MI TBA

Saturday, Sept. 30 Purdue South Bend, IN 2:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Oct. 7 Stanford South Bend, IN 2:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Oct. 21 UCLA South Bend, IN 2:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Oct. 28 at Navy Baltimore, MD TBA

Saturday, Nov. 4 North Carolina South Bend, IN 2:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Nov. 11 at Air Force Colorado Springs, CO TBA

Saturday, Nov. 18 Army South Bend, IN 2:30 p.m. EDT

Saturday, Nov. 25 at Southern California Los Angeles, CA TBA

they wont be sneaking up on anybody this year. Ohio State exposed them for the chumps they really were.

1395712[/snapback]

I think it's safe to assume that ND and every other college team in the country will be fielding a different set of players than last year. Therefore your point is moot and groundless. You seem to dwell in the past (02 hawkeyes?!?!). You a Stillers fan too?

First of all... if I was a steelers fan... how would I be living in the past? Seems to me they're living on a pretty good high right now. And I pointed out that in 2002, Iowa was not expected to be good at all, and like Notre Dame last year... snuck up on teams. It was an example to illustrate a point in response to chiefs prediction of the Jayhawks possibly being a sleeper team. If that makes me a person that lives in the past, then so be-it. And again, I wasn't really saying that the fact that Ohio State exposed Notre Dame for the flukes they were, that that means they will suck this year. I was saying, that Notre Dame won't sneak up on anyone (they won't, not with a heisman candidate Quarterback, and a very gifted head coach), and I predict a rough start for the Irish. Revenge is a b|tch, and Michigan will get theres for one, even if it is in South Bend. Georgia Tech is no gimme, especially in Atlanta, and Purdue and Michigan State always play the Irish tough (with the exception of last year vs Purdue). Notre Dame will probably be heading for the Gator Bowl if they're lucky. That being said... I wouldn't believe anything I say, because I made some horrible predictions last year, so with that I say good luck to you and your Irish.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Chief Dick  Posted 4/1/06 12:27am

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when Kansas makes the top 5 next year, and all you turds who are ignoring me are gonna get a big moon.gif

Chief - Aren't the Jayhawks losing a lot on defense this year? Anyway, a big :D to the Jayhawk fans. I was at the KU-NU game this year, and as I left the stadium I didn't hear one bad comment. Class act all the way.

Hey Phat1 - are you excited about the big game in L.A. this September? I probably won't make it in person, but I'll be watching as always.

With Booty's back problems, we may go with the redshirt freshman Sanchez at QB. Our D should be better this year, but the O will be a big ? to start the season.

I hope its a good game....

Coffee - I can't wait. I'll be at the Huskers spring game in 2 weeks to see how the line is looking. Reports so far say that they are looking really good. If so, the offense should be firing on all cylinders this year.

The defense should be better than last years. The linebacking corp will be one of nation's best. The DEs should be able to get pressure on just about anybody, esp. Carricker. At 6'6" 285 lbs and a 4.7 forty, he should be a first rounder. The interior d-line are a little inexperienced, but extremely talented. Cornerbacks wil be much better this year, with Safety the only real ???. Two new starters here, although Green started at CB for a few games.

As of right now, I'm going to the game. That may change though since my brother will be visiting from Australia, and he might still be here.

As of right now, I'm going to the game.  That may change though since my brother will be visiting from Australia, and he might still be here.

1403561[/snapback]

Ya know, if you bring him he's already about 1,000 miles closer to home. This assumes he's having to stop in L.A. or S.F. on both legs anyway; but I could be wrong about that. I did L.A. non-stop to Sydney once - good God that's a long one...