[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Third Annual Huddle Chess Debacle

billay

It's that time of year!

Links

Freechess.org

Yahoo Chess

MSN Chess

OK, since we ended up with 14 players again, we're going to try the same format as last year. Each player will play 4 matches, 2 as white, 2 as black. After those 4 matches, the top 8 records will advance to the single elimination tournament. Everyone please realize that you are committing to at least 4 games, so please try and make so time...This is a very hard thing to coordinate.

We're going to try a different chess server this year. This one supports Mac's too. Its the Free Internet Chess Server @ freechess.org. You will have to download the program (maybe update Java, or download that too) and register for the site as well, but it looks like a good server. Also, I had some trouble registering at first because the site doesn't permit the use of free email programs for registration. For some reason it wouldn't allow my roadrunner account, but a board administrator helped me out. The whole process took about 10 minutes.FICS

You do not need to play the games in any particular order. Just contact your opponents to see whan they may be able to play, then, once you have set a match time please post it here so others can come watch if they are around. Then please post the result. We should try to get the 4 games finished inside a week or so, after that, people's attention (including mine) begins to wane.

I will post results as they come in

Matchups: (persons listed in Black play as Black

1. billay: 2-2-0 Doggy(L) HUGH(W) Robash(W) sky(L)

2. Caveman Nick: 2-0-0 Suny(W) polk toronator(W) LosG

3. Irish Doggy: 1-0-0 billay(W) suny dukdown toronator

4. Sunysteelfly: 1-1-0 Nick(L) Doggy broncos(W) polk

5. LosGigantes: 0-1-0 sky(L) McNasty SgtRyan Nick

6. tonorator: 0-1-0 McNasty dukdown Nick(L) Doggy

7. McNasty: toronator LosG polk broncos

8. HUGH ONE: 0-2-0 SgtRyan billay(L) Sky(L) Robash

9. Sgt. Ryan: HUGH Robash LosG dukdown

10. broncos05: 0-2-0 dukdown Sky(L) Suny(L) McNasty

11. dukdown: broncos toronator Doggy Sgt.Ryan

12. Robash: 0-1-0 polk Sgt.Ryan billay(L) HUGH

13. polkaset: Robash Nick McNasty Suny

14. skylive: 4-0-0 LosG(W) broncos(W) HUGH(W) billay(W)

Edited by billay

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of year!

Are we talking actual chess here? Are there any good players? If not, might be entertaining to have some of those games, where both guys move out and kill as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.

Are we talking actual chess here?  Are there any good players?  If not, might be entertaining to have some of those games, where both guys move out and kill as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.

1374774[/snapback]

Yes, actual chess played online. We play at MSN games where other players can watch and chat as the games go on. There are some very good players here and some ok players. The difficulty lies in the logistics of getting players online together often enough. If you are talking more than 4 or 5 games, the the logistics get very difficult. This has been the problem in the past. This tourney is for fun as much as anything. Somebody suggested a huddle chess league (which I think is a good idea) which could take the results for beginning rankings. In the future maybe the Debacle can be the tourney for the league?

Your creativity and originality are telling....

Such little minds...you dare not tread near the battlefield! :D

1374643[/snapback]

Well, I used to be pretty good at chest back in the day.

These days, one of you geeks would mop up the floor with me. :D

It's that time of year!

This year, in an effort to see that we actually finish the thing, the debacle will be a single elimination tourney with random seatings. 

1374515[/snapback]

Is it called seatings because it is chess and you sit when you play (not trying to ba a smartass, maybe I will learn something here), or did you mean seedings, as in where they sit in the tournament brackets?

Is it called seatings because it is chess and you sit when you play (not trying to ba a smartass, maybe I will learn something here), or did you mean seedings, as in where they sit in the tournament brackets?

1374862[/snapback]

Mike Tice playing chess ... that's a good one. :D

1374862[/snapback]

Yes, I meant seedings. I have a general idea of how good people are and will try to seed accordingly.