[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Being Tolerant Oppresses Christians

Chavez

Well, in the spirit of your "Jesus was the son of God or he was Insane" arguement, let me say this:  You are either on a wonderful fishing expedition, or your are an ignorant ass bible thumpin moran whose every post sounds more imbecilic than the last.  There really is no other option.  I choose to believe the former rather than the latter.

BTW, In terms of pure satanic evil, Lincoln makes Hitler seem like Mother Teresa...

1419055[/snapback]

i'll take door number 3.

:D

Edited by tonorator

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait till there 3 and running in opposite directions

1418900[/snapback]

Yeah, when they're young you can run a pretty effective zone defense on them. But when they're three and highly mobile, you should prepare to go with man coverage.

i'm actually just paying homage to my post padding gods in this forum  :D

1419086[/snapback]

Tonormanondog,

Your sigline is interesting. Do you realize that as far as can be discerned from yer posts here in this thread, you stand for the exact opposite religous principles and beliefs as Ralph Waldo Emerson?

Did you just pick that quote because you liked how it sounded, or do you anything about the former UU minister Emerson and his beliefs?

Edited by skins

Tonormanondgo,

Your sigline is interesting. Do you realize that as far as can be discerned from yer posts here in this thread, you stand for the exact opposite religous principles and beliefs as Ralph Waldo Emerson?

Did you just pick that quote because you liked how it sounded, or do you anything about the former UU minister Emerson and his beliefs?

1423174[/snapback]

exact opposite? i'm not so sure of that.

it's a good quote, ton...is it from "pray without ceasing"?

exact opposite?  i'm not so sure of that. 

it's a good quote, ton...is it from "pray without ceasing"?

1423194[/snapback]

Exact opposite with regard to exclusion versus inclusion. He was a UU minister after all.

Exact opposite with regard to exclusion versus inclusion. He was a UU minister after all.

1423204[/snapback]

eh...inclusion/exclusion....emerson was pretty adamant himself about what was sin and what wasn't. and i think he came from a pretty repressed sexual background, but i don't know that he was necessarily hung up on sexual ethics. unitarian universalism wasn't exactly the same in the 19th century as it is now.

eh...inclusion/exclusion....emerson was pretty adamant himself about what was sin and what wasn't.  and i think he came from a pretty repressed sexual background, but i don't know that he was necessarily hung up on sexual ethics.  unitarian universalism wasn't exactly the same in the 19th century as it is now.

1423236[/snapback]

The basics about inclusion were the same--reaching out to the excluded fringes and marginilized people in society. That was a primary tenet of Universalism and still is one.

The basics about inclusion were the same--reaching out to the excluded fringes and marginilized people in society. That was a primary tenet of Universalism and still is one.

1423284[/snapback]

well, for one thing emerson was a unitarian, not a universalist (the two didn't merge into "UU-ism" until the 1960s). for another, i don't know that "reaching out to the excluded fringes" WAS a "primary tenet" of 19th century unitarianism. i think you're just reading your own chit back onto them with that. i mean, i'm sure it was encouraged, the way it was encouraged in MANY streams of christianity, especially in the 19th century.

Tonormanondog,

1423174[/snapback]

i know of emerson's unitarian background. even though our religious beliefs may differ (he did not believe Jesus divine), that doesn't stop me from respecting the man and his writings.

i love the quote because it draws on each of us to examine if we truly live our lives the way we think we do. we may believe in our minds that we are becoming what we want to be, but sometimes the things we ultimately worship are harder to acknowledge. it also speaks to our need as humans to worship ... we will worship something.

even though i have christian beliefs, that doesn't mean i'm all for exclusion of others. at the end of the day, i hold Jesus very dear to my heart and thank Him for he strength and hope He gives me. that in no way means that everyone i respect and interact with must do the same, because i know that this life is hard, merciless, and incredibly confusing. i have the deepest respect for those who search, for those with questions, for those who aspire to understand the ultimate question of "why?" everyone doing this does it with the intellect and experience they have and the different theories and approaches are all fascinating to me.

the quote is from "Singing The Living Tradition".

i know of emerson's unitarian background.  even though our religious beliefs may differ (he did not believe Jesus divine), that doesn't stop me from respecting the man and his writings.

i love the quote because it draws on each of us to examine if we truly live our lives the way we think we do.  we may believe in our minds that we are becoming what we want to be, but sometimes the things we ultimately worship are harder to acknowledge.   it also speaks to our need as humans to worship ... we will worship something.

even though i have christian beliefs, that doesn't mean i'm all for exclusion of others.  at the end of the day, i hold Jesus very dear to my heart and thank Him for he strength and hope He gives me.  that in no way means that everyone i respect and interact with must do the same, because i know that this life is hard, merciless, and incredibly confusing.  i have the deepest respect for those who search, for those with questions, for those who aspire to understand the ultimate question of "why?"  everyone doing this does it with the intellect and experience they have and the different theories and approaches are all fascinating to me.

the quote is from "Singing The Living Tradition".

1423344[/snapback]

Now that is more in line with Emerson. Nice work. Just lose the Santorum Republichristian silliness and yer on yer way.

Edited by skins

i love the quote because it draws on each of us to examine if we truly live our lives the way we think we do.  we may believe in our minds that we are becoming what we want to be, but sometimes the things we ultimately worship are harder to acknowledge.  it also speaks to our need as humans to worship ... we will worship something.

even though i have christian beliefs, that doesn't mean i'm all for exclusion of others.  at the end of the day, i hold Jesus very dear to my heart and thank Him for he strength and hope He gives me.  that in no way means that everyone i respect and interact with must do the same, because i know that this life is hard, merciless, and incredibly confusing.  i have the deepest respect for those who search, for those with questions, for those who aspire to understand the ultimate question of "why?"  everyone doing this does it with the intellect and experience they have and the different theories and approaches are all fascinating to me.

1423344[/snapback]

Well said and +1. :D