[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tips for IDP success

Thinking of starting an IDP league, or joining your first, well here is a helpful tip sheet that I created, and have led to nice success with these strategies.

DLs score like TE's - there are few great ones, and a big drop off after the top 8-10. DE score better than DT, as DT get bottled up inside, while DE can pursue the play, and are more likely to get to the QB for the sack.

LBs score like RB's - but there are almost twice as many stud LBs than there are stud RBs, so be patient. The most ideal LB is the Mike, better known as the middle linebacker. Most teams run the 4-3 defense and the DE and OLB funnel the play inside, so the MLB gets more opportunities at tackles and MLBs rarely rush the passer in the 4-3, so they also get opportunities for tackles on the TE, and WR coming across the middle of the field, as well as the RB out of the backfield.

Dbs score like Wrs - but there are twice as many quality DBs than WRs, so make this your last position to draft, before Kicker of course. Strong Safeties are the most productive DBs in most cases, because they are like an extra LB, and cheat up as the 8th player in the box, in run support.

Other Tidbits to consider.

Tackles are the most common source for points, so consistent tackle production

is what Id look for over inconsistent stats such as INTs and Sacks.

The best cover CBs are usually weak DBs, as they are rarely thrown too. If you must draft a CB, look for one with high tackle stats. Youngster who gets picked on by opposing teams QBs are ideal, as they are still most likely to make the tackle, INT, or pass defense. Remember if the ball isnt going in the direction of your CB, he isnt scoring for you, so as CBs tend to get better in coverage skills, their production level drops off. (think Deion Sanders when he took away half the field for Dallas and SF, as teams simply wouldn't throw his way)

Weakside LBs or the WILL as they are referred to as, are next in line in the food chain for the LB position after the middle linebacker. Weakside LBs also stay at home in run support, but can also get to the RB first if the OL gets past the DT to the MLB. Finishing last at the LB position is the Stong Side LB, or the SAM. Unless you get a Derrick Johnson type player, stay clear of the strong side LBs, as they generally only produce 3 tackles a game.

Look for hybrid DE/LBs who are DL eligible. A couple of years back I had Willie McGinnest who started the yr at DL, but the injury to LB Rosey Colvin moved McGinnest to OLB in the 3-4 defense and hsi tackles production doubled, but was still DL eligible. This also happened with John Abraham when he was in NY, but will rarely be used in that fashion for Atlanta. So the scheme is important to watch, when selecting hybrid type of players. Dallas DE/OLB Demarcus Ware or San Diego DE/OLB Shawn Merriman, are the type of players you should look to see if they are DL elgible in your leagues.

Finally do not draft IDP players too high. Ive had great success waiting until about round 6 to get my first LB, and round 8 to get my first DL, and I generally wait until rounds 13-15 before selecting my first DB. While LBs score like RBs, there are alot fewer quality Rbs than LBs, so scarcity at the position should put a premium on the RB position early, and even WR position before you start drafting IDP players.

The fewer IDP players you start, the longer I wait to draft them. If you are only starting 1 DL, 1 LB and 1 DB, look at the top 10 LBs, and you will see that after the top 3, the next 8 or so are bunched together stat wise. It serves no purpose to get the #5 LB over the #10 when its generally 1 pt difference in production a game.

Some will tell you to draft stud LBs in round 3 and 4, and while it works on occasion, this is generally a recipe for disaster. You have to get extremely lucky with your RB and WR later on to make this strategy work. While if you may take a pt or 2 dip in production at the LB position by waiting 3-4 more rounds, you secure more consistent offensive players than if you wait till the later rounds to get your starters there.

For more tips, pick up last yrs Huddle Handbook, and stay tuned for the 2006 Edition.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Finally do not draft IDP players too high.  Ive had great success waiting until about round 6 to get my first LB, and round 8 to get my first DL, and I generally wait until rounds 13-15 before selecting my first DB.  While LBs score like RBs, there are alot fewer quality Rbs than LBs, so scarcity at the position should put a premium on the RB position early, and even WR position before you start drafting IDP players. 

The fewer IDP players you start, the longer I wait to draft them.  If you are only starting 1 DL, 1 LB and 1 DB, look at the top 10 LBs, and you will see that after the top 3, the next 8 or so are bunched together stat wise. It serves no purpose to get the #5 LB over the  #10 when its generally 1 pt difference in production a game.

Some will tell you to draft stud LBs in round 3 and 4, and while it works on occasion, this is generally a recipe for disaster.  You have to get extremely lucky with your RB and WR later on to make this strategy work. While if you may take a pt or 2 dip in production at the LB position by waiting 3-4 more rounds, you secure more consistent offensive players than if you wait till the later rounds to get your starters there. 

1418004[/snapback]

good info here...cant wait for the next installment of DW so i can not be stuck in rebuilding mode from the get go due to some draftin miscues :D

For more tips, pick up last yrs Huddle Handbook, and stay tuned for the 2006 Edition.

1418004[/snapback]

If you can't find a copy of last years handbook here is a link to the mock:

2005 IDP Mock

Link with commentary on last yrs draft

I tried to post the draft for you but it looks all jumbled.

Edited by keggerz

Nice work Sarge, great for the newcomers to IDP. :D

If you can't find a copy of last years handbook here is a link to the mock:

2005 IDP Mock

Link with commentary on last yrs draft

I tried to post the draft for you but it looks all jumbled.

1418337[/snapback]

It hurts to look back at how happy I was with that draft. I can only wonder how good that team could have been. :D

Nice work Sarge, great for the newcomers to IDP. :D

It hurts to look back at how happy I was with that draft. I can only wonder how good that team could have been. :D

1426650[/snapback]

i was going to try and put together what everyone drafted and where each individual drafted finished for their position but i dont have the time or the patience to do that

Not sure that is going to be relevant for future success, as I got Larry Johnson in round 11, and he was at worst a top 3 player last yr, and likely #2 overall draft pick this yr.

Im sure Ill post the results of this yrs draft beginning on May 1, for everyone to dissect.

Private R-

Nice work :D , will come in handy as I round out my squad that will kick yo ass all season long.    :D West Coast in da house

1427941[/snapback]

Bring it, though you will be calling me Daddy about week 3. Dont worry, I answer to that too.

• 4 weeks later...