[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

Homer J

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is NOT funny. :D

But with an 18% chance of getting the #1 pick next year, and the Malkin deal close to being done, things are certainly looking brighter. :D

1426569[/snapback]

As a Captials fan I feel your pain brother. We both have the future of hockey, Ovechkin and Crosby, and can only get better.

Hugh, being a penguins fan, whats the latest on a new rink for the team, or are they still playing the "we might have to relocate" game.

1426737[/snapback]

The Isle of Capri has offered to build them a new stadium. It looks pretty promising. The Igloo is the oldest in North America. Since the arena was built the Steelers have played in Forbes Field, Pitt Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, and Heinz Field. The Pirates, Steelers, Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, Flyers, Pitt Basketball, and even the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Hershey Bears, all have new facilities. That leaves the Pittsburgh Penguins as the only professional sports franchise in the state without a new arena.

There's a lot to what's going on now, but I think they're staying in Pittsburgh. That being said, Squeegie, and others who actually live there might be able to give better insight than me.

Guest Cherni
:D  Since I'm not from the City I never understood why Ranger fans hate the Islanders.. :D I think I understand why now.. Thanks for clearing that up for me

1426682[/snapback]

Well I'm from Long Island. Growing up on there, you're either an Islander fan, or a ranger fan. If you're a Devil fan you're just a joke for no other reason than why would you like a NJ team when you live 15 minutes from the Colisseum or 45 from The Garden.

Since The Isles and the rangers are in the same division there is a HUGH rivalry between the 2 fan base. You upstate folk don't understand, but any real NY ranger fan SHOULD hate The Islanders. It's part of being a fan of NY hockey, except for the Sabres of course.

Seems like your tone has changed a little from yesterday... You seem a little angry. I wonder if it's the fact that the rangers went from being the favorite to win the Atlantic and gain home ice advantage. Can you say choke? Well if you can't I understand. Now you need to go into NJ to the hottest team in the league. Good luck with that. Sure you've split the season series with them that should make you feel good. But from I remember The Devils have won the last 3 in a row.

So let me be the first to congratulate you and your team (Jagr) on a Cinderella year that will leave all the bandwagon fans quite disappointed very, very shortly.

So, with the new kid and all, I haven't had much time to pay attention to hockey this year. Could somebody please tell me who my beloved St. Louis Blues are playing in the first round?

:D

So, with the new kid and all, I haven't had much time to pay attention to hockey this year.  Could somebody please tell me who my beloved St. Louis Blues are playing in the first round?

1426763[/snapback]

Well, you guys have a 48% chance of getting the #1 pick in the draft, so at least you have that going for you.

Guest Cherni
:D I'll take it if I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? doesn't want it.... he gets first dibs!

1426698[/snapback]

I think I'll pass on that. Even though had Hunter not decked Turgeon and dislocated his shoulder, Ferraro might not have stepped up and carried the team on his back. It might have been a blessing in disguise. I'll never forget when The Isles beat the heavily favored Penguins (sorry Hugh). That was just an amazing series.

So let me be the first to congratulate you and your team (Jagr) on a Cinderella year that will leave all the bandwagon fans quite disappointed very, very shortly.

1426761[/snapback]

My ass. The Rangers have nothing ot be ashamed of. They're banged up right now, which certainly isn't healthy. They'll be lucky to get their #2 line Center Rucchin back for the Devils series, and that hurts. Did they choke down the stretch? Maybe, but I'd say the injuries didn't help. And for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years, they have nothing to be ashamed of.

I happen to hate the Rangers with a passion, but I can also be fair and unbiased. That being said, a first round playoff exit is all but a certainty. :D

Guest Cherni
My ass. The Rangers have nothing ot be ashamed of. They're banged up right now, which certainly isn't healthy. They'll be lucky to get their #2 line Center Rucchin back for the Devils series, and that hurts. Did they choke down the stretch? Maybe, but I'd say the injuries didn't help. And for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years, they have nothing to be ashamed of.

I happen to hate the Rangers with a passion, but I can also be fair and unbiased. That being said, a first round playoff exit is all but a certainty. :D

1426784[/snapback]

I agree with that. Who cares that the NHL had to invoke all sorts of rule changes in order for the rangers to make the playoffs? :D

They had a great season there's no doubt about it. However they're a 2 man show in King Henry and Jagr. Henry's groin is a HUGH concern as it should be and playoff teams like the Devils will figure out a way to contain Jagr and make other players beat them. It could happen. I hope not and I don't think so, but you never know. (choke, choke)

Guest Cherni
just asked this in the detroit thread.....

did the lockout help or hinder the nhl?  is the game better today then it was a yr ago?

1426792[/snapback]

IMO hockey as we knew it in the 70's and 80's is gone. Grinding in the corners, cycling the puck and just toughing it out for 60 minutes is a thing of the past. East Coast style hockey is dead. It's a faster game, but IMO for the most part, it's not the toughest game on the planet anymore. The bruisers and brawlers will be phased out over time and the skill players will take over the game.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the game changed bit time. It's more of a European style (west coast) type of game. More time is spent on special teams, not a whole lot of 5x5 hockey anymore which I think hurts the game. It's just not as exciting with the new rules IMO.

who's the best hockey player right now............ :D

1424766[/snapback]

best center - joe thornton - with props to sid the kid

best RW - jagr, props to cheechoo

best LW - heatley,kovalchuk, zetterberg or ovechkin - take yer pick

best D - McCabe, Lidstrom, niedermeyer - take yer pick

best netminder - kipprusoff

Guest Cherni
best center - joe thornton - with props to sid the kid

best RW - jagr, props to cheechoo

best LW - heatley,kovalchuk, zetterberg or ovechkin - take yer pick

best D - McCabe, Lidstrom, niedermeyer - take yer pick

best netminder - kipprusoff

1426820[/snapback]

Jagr = MVP. Best player in the world.

just asked this in the detroit thread.....

did the lockout help or hinder the nhl?  is the game better today then it was a yr ago?

1426792[/snapback]

Depends what you like. The game has become more open, with more scoring, based mainly on cutting down on the clutching, grabbing, holding and hooking. This resulted directly in more goals because players were allowed to skate, and also there were a boat load more power play opportunities. The game has gotten faster, that's for sure, but I also think they're overcalling some of the very minor infractions, and a game that sees 20-25 minors called is just too much imo.

I like what they did with adding room behind the goal. I like the elimination of the redline for icing, I like the smaller goalie equipment, and I like the shoot out.

So, yeah, I think the game might be a little more exciting, especially for non-hockey fans, but I certainly wouldn't say the lockout helped the NHL.

Guest Cherni
Depends what you like. The game has become more open, with more scoring, based mainly on cutting down on the clutching, grabbing, holding and hooking. This resulted directly in more goals because players were allowed to skate, and also there were a boat load more power play opportunities. The game has gotten faster, that's for sure, but I also think they're overcalling some of the very minor infractions, and a game that sees 20-25 minors called is just too much imo.

I like what they did with adding room behind the goal. I like the elimination of the redline for icing, I like the smaller goalie equipment, and I like the shoot out.

So, yeah, I think the game might be a little more exciting, especially for non-hockey fans, but I certainly wouldn't say the lockout helped the NHL.

1426849[/snapback]

Well said. :D

Well I'm from Long Island. Growing up on there, you're either an Islander fan, or a ranger fan. If you're a Devil fan you're just a joke for no other reason than why would you like a NJ team when you live 15 minutes from the Colisseum or 45 from The Garden.

Since The Isles and the rangers are in the same division there is a HUGH rivalry between the 2 fan base. You upstate folk don't understand, but any real NY ranger fan SHOULD hate The Islanders. It's part of being a fan of NY hockey, except for the Sabres of course.

Seems like your tone has changed a little from yesterday... You seem a little angry. I wonder if it's the fact that the rangers went from being the favorite to win the Atlantic and gain home ice advantage. Can you say choke? Well if you can't I understand. Now you need to go into NJ to the hottest team in the league. Good luck with that. Sure you've split the season series with them that should make you feel good. But from I remember The Devils have won the last 3 in a row.

1426761[/snapback]

Who joins a f'ing band wagon mid season? Jagr's got more talent in his ass hair than the entire Islander team has. You sound more like a bltch Red Sox fan with every post. It kills me how ignorant hockeys fans try to act like they know what their talking about.

thanks hugh and I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of?.....

not a follower, usually only watch the playoffs....still think its one of the more exciting games to watch both on tv and at the rink.

wish i had a team to root for but wertz knows how to kill a product

Guest Cherni
Who joins a f'ing band wagon mid season?  Jagr's got more talent in his ass hair than the entire Islander team has.  You sound more like a bltch Red Sox fan with every post.  It kills me how ignorant hockeys fans try to act like they know what their talking about.

1426888[/snapback]

Jagr is the best player in the world hands down. The guy has more talent that 99% of NHL teams by himself. Jagr is the only reason why the rangers had a good season. And you my friend sound more and more like a disgruntled ranger fan whose expectations of winning the Atlantic and gaining home ice went down the toilet last night. And my friend there are far worse teams to root for than the Sox. Last time I checked they had done something that has never been done in the history of baseball. Come back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Yanks.

I've been playing and watching hockey my whole life and insults coming from someone who "doesn't understand" the rivalry between the Isles and rangers it means nothing to me. Don't play the ignorant card with me after failing to realize that the Isles have twice as many cups in 25 years as the rangers do in close to 80 years. Not to mention there were so few teams in the league in the 1930's.

Do you know that there were only 6 teams in the NHL for around 25 years? The rangers were one of them. So from 1942-1967 the rangers had a 1/6 chance of winning a cup and how many did they win? That's right buddy, ZERO. Great job, great organization.

EDIT: I failed to realize that in 28,30 they did win cups.

Edited by Cherni

Jagr is the best player in the world hands down. The guy has more talent that 99% of NHL teams by himself. Jagr is the only reason why the rangers had a good season. And you my friend sound more and more like a disgruntled ranger fan whose expectations of winning the Atlantic and gaining home ice went down the toilet last night. And my friend there are far worse teams to root for than the Sox. Last time I checked they had done something that has never been done in the history of sports. Come back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Yanks.

I've been playing and watching hockey my whole life and insults coming from someone who "doesn't understand" the rivalry between the Isles and rangers it means nothing to me. Don't play the ignorant card with me after failing to realize that the Isles have twice as many cups in 25 years as the rangers do in close to 80 years. Not to mention there were so few teams in the league in the 1930's.

Do you know that there were only 6 teams in the NHL for around 25 years? The rangers were one of them. So from 1942-1967 the rangers had a 1/6 chance of winning a cup and how many did they win? That's right buddy, ZERO. Great job, great organization.

1426930[/snapback]

so here are the brackets how do you see it playing out to the champion

west

(1)Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose

east

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia

here are my picks -

detroit over edmonton

dallas over colorado

calgary over anaheim

sanjose over nashville

round2

det vs.sj- det

cal vs. dal- cal

round3

det. vs cal- det to cup finals

ottawa over tb

carolina over montreal

jersey over nyr

buffalo over phila

round2

buffalo vs ottawa- buf

caroila vs jersey- carolina

round3

buf-carolina - carolina

with detroit vs carolina in the finals with carolina winning. and the world then coming to an end as the hurricanes/whalers hoist the cup.

Edited by The Darkside