[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

Homer J

When do the Wild play :D

1426692[/snapback]

October. :D Rotten division to be in.

OK, I'm not going to get into the whole Rangers/Devils/Islanders pissing match that is going on right now, but I will say this. If not for the rule changes this year, the game doesn't open up like it did and Jagr doesn't have the season he did. As a Jagr owner this year, I was ecstatic about his numbers, and in the one game I was able to see live at the Garden, he was free-wheelin and lightin' up the Leafs!

That being said, if they call the playoffs like they did the regular season, it will come down to discipline, special teams, and goaltending. The team that can avoid the box will win each series. While that may seem like a no-brainer prediction, I think the refs will be under tremendous pressure to cal the playoffs like they did the regular season. Meaning - you can't let things go in the playoffs as in years past. I loved watching playoff hockey for the longest time, and I don't think the games are going to suffer at all, assuming players know that the refs are going to call the games tight. Clutch and grab are out, an opened up game with the elimination of the 2-line pass is the way the game is going to go. I was considered an old school hockey type of guy by my friends, but I have to admit the new rule changes, if implemented throughout the playoffs, will only enhance the post-season.

As for my predictions, I can only say this:

San Jose wins the west

Devils win the east

And the San Jose North Stars (which is what they were supposed to be originally), lose to the displaced Colorado Rockies in the Stanley Cup finals.

I'm drunk, deal with it. :D

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October.  :D  Rotten division to be in.

OK, I'm not going to get into the whole Rangers/Devils/Islanders pissing match that is going on right now, but I will say this.  If not for the rule changes this year, the game doesn't open up like it did and Jagr doesn't have the season he did.  As a Jagr owner this year, I was ecstatic about his numbers, and in the one game I was able to see live at the Garden, he was free-wheelin and lightin' up the Leafs!

That being said, if they call the playoffs like they did the regular season, it will come down to discipline, special teams, and goaltending.  The team that can avoid the box will win each series.  While that may seem like a no-brainer prediction, I think the refs will be under tremendous pressure to cal the playoffs like they did the regular season.  Meaning - you can't let things go in the playoffs as in years past.  I loved watching playoff hockey for the longest time, and I don't think the games are going to suffer at all, assuming players know that the refs are going to call the games tight.  Clutch and grab are out, an opened up game with the elimination of the 2-line pass is the way the game is going to go.  I was considered an old school hockey type of guy by my friends, but I have to admit the new rule changes, if implemented throughout the playoffs, will only enhance the post-season.

As for my predictions, I can only say this:

San Jose wins the west

Devils win the east

And the San Jose North Stars (which is what they were supposed to be originally), lose to the displaced Colorado Rockies in the Stanley Cup finals. 

I'm drunk, deal with it. :D

1428393[/snapback]

You may be drunk, but you are correct in your analysis. :D

When do the Wild play :D

1426692[/snapback]

:D

just asked this in the detroit thread.....

did the lockout help or hinder the nhl?  is the game better today then it was a yr ago?

1426792[/snapback]

I dont know that you can ever say a lockout was a good thing, but I do think the NHL has come back stronger than it was prior to. IMO, the game is better, too.

IMO hockey as we knew it in the 70's and 80's is gone. Grinding in the corners, cycling the puck and just toughing it out for 60 minutes is a thing of the past. East Coast style hockey is dead. It's a faster game, but IMO for the most part, it's not the toughest game on the planet anymore. The bruisers and brawlers will be phased out over time and the skill players will take over the game.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the game changed bit time. It's more of a European style (west coast) type of game. More time is spent on special teams, not a whole lot of 5x5 hockey anymore which I think hurts the game. It's just not as exciting with the new rules IMO.

1426815[/snapback]

I think you are definitely correct about the game changing. The muck and grind style and the straight goon/enforcer types are going away. The game belongs to the swift and the skilled now more than ever.

Depends what you like. The game has become more open, with more scoring, based mainly on cutting down on the clutching, grabbing, holding and hooking. This resulted directly in more goals because players were allowed to skate, and also there were a boat load more power play opportunities. The game has gotten faster, that's for sure, but I also think they're overcalling some of the very minor infractions, and a game that sees 20-25 minors called is just too much imo.

I like what they did with adding room behind the goal. I like the elimination of the redline for icing, I like the smaller goalie equipment, and I like the shoot out.

So, yeah, I think the game might be a little more exciting, especially for non-hockey fans, but I certainly wouldn't say the lockout helped the NHL.

1426849[/snapback]

I completely agree with Hugh's first paragraph. I have been calling for the league to clamp down on the all the holding/hooking/obstruction/etc for years. I couldnt believe that they contemplated changing the existing rules to boost scoring rather than just enforcing the rules currently in place. Now, we have some of both. More infractions are called and some rules have changed.

I think the elimination of the redline(two-line pass) is great, and restrictions on goalie equip were neccessary. (I think Hugh meant to say) the decrease in room behind the goal and the neutral zone has increased size of the offensive zone and lead to more scoring chances. While the shootouts can be exciting, I would rather see OT till someone scores. In fact, I would like to see them eliminate any points other than the 2 for the win. You win, you get 2. You lose, you get 0. I think the game would be that much more exciting if it was win or nothing. That is part of the reason the Playoffs are so intense.

All in all, I think the game is better today. As the players and officials get more accustomed to the "new" rules, I think the game will be even better in the future.

:D He was chanting "1940" (for the second to last Rangers Stanley Cup) earlier in the thread, so put a "0" in the middle.

1432549[/snapback]

I thought that may have been...

but I was thinking "last stanley cup" and that was 94....so I became confused and thought the entire number tied in somewhere..

Guest Cherni
:D He was chanting "1940" (for the second to last Rangers Stanley Cup) earlier in the thread, so put a "0" in the middle.

1432549[/snapback]

:D

That was an ugly ugly game.    NYR Fan :D  :doah: NYR Fan

Is it just me or were there an incredible number of power plays?  :D .

Devils deserved game 1. Monday game 2

1433013[/snapback]

22 minors, terrible, but as much as I like to pile on the refs, I thought most of the calls were decent. The Rangers better shore up their discipline, or this thing is over in 4.

22 minors, terrible, but as much as I like to pile on the refs, I thought most of the calls were decent. The Rangers better shore up their discipline, or this thing is over in 4.

1433049[/snapback]

Any word on Jagr's injury? I was working in the garage at that point of the game and missed seeing it.

5 power play goals for the Devils pretty much says it all. Rangers gotta stay out of the box, and although I thought maybe 3 of those penalties were questionable, I'd rather see the refs call it like that from the start and let the players adjust.

Any word on Jagr's injury?  I was working in the garage at that point of the game and missed seeing it.

1433051[/snapback]

It's the playoffs, they'll keep it quiet. As of now it's being described as an "upper body injury". :D

wow...did the Flyers get screwed on the calls last night or is it me?

and the Sabres fans showed no class last night when Umberger was taken out and couldn't get up...the people running that place replayed the hit several times and the fans kept cheering..

I doubt ESPN even mentioned this....but if it was the other way around and Philly was the home team, there would be much more of an issue made out of this...

wow...did the Flyers get screwed on the calls last night or is it me?

and the Sabres fans showed no class last night when Umberger was taken out and couldn't get up...the people running that place replayed the hit several times and the fans kept cheering..

I doubt ESPN even mentioned this....but if it was the other way around and Philly was the home team, there would be much more of an issue made out of this...

1433224[/snapback]

The hit on Umberger was clean, Scott Stevens clean. A hit like that can change the complexion of an entire series, we'll see how it plays out. Granted, no reason to cheer when a guy is hurt.

Back to the Jagr think, I heard possible dislocated shoulder. Not good. :D

Great playoff hockey so far, that Wings - Oilers series has been great, real nasty with great action. It's AWESOME to have the NHL playofs back. :D

The hit on Umberger was clean, Scott Stevens clean. A hit like that can change the complexion of an entire series, we'll see how it plays out.  Granted, no reason to cheer when a guy is hurt.

Back to the Jagr think, I heard possible dislocated shoulder. Not good. :D

Great playoff hockey so far, that Wings - Oilers series has been great, real nasty with great action. It's AWESOME to have the NHL playofs back. :D

1434012[/snapback]

ohh...I know the hit was clean....

it's the fact that he was unable to get up and should have had a broken jaw...and they glorified that...

Guest Cherni
ohh...I know the hit was clean....

it's the fact that he was unable to get up and should have had a broken jaw...and they glorified that...

1434015[/snapback]

And Philly fans have never glorified or cheered for an opposing player injury? :D

Guest Cherni
Sure, they're known for it, but it doesn't make it right.

1434098[/snapback]

I never said it made it right. It's just funny to hear.

Guest Cherni
my original point is...when we do it...the whole nation hears it...

when Buffalo fans do it...you don't hear a peep...

1434184[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying. It would get completely blown up if it happened the other way around.

I hear what you're saying. It would get completely blown up if it happened the other way around.

1434186[/snapback]

exactly...and on top of it...they replayed it on the jumbotron several times.....something that *gasp* never happened in philly...

I'm talking 7+ times